[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#331 Post by rev » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am
Ho Really wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:19 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 pm
Haven't been to Perth stadium, but I have been to Marvel, and it's trash compared to AO.

I've sat in every stand at AO since the rebuild for either football, soccer, or cricket, and never had an issue seeing all of the playing area from my seat, and I'm talking after they rejigged the cricket members stand to remove the seats with views blocked by steel framework.
Seeing the playing area is not the problem. I could see the playing area too from where I was seated. You should also be able to see the boundary (touch) line and in a perfect design even the top of the fence.
Honey of a City wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:00 am
The SACA board are really on board, spruiking the development and its ‘stunning’ (their words) plans to its members. Stunning as the plans may be the clunky design shown in the renders is just so disappointing looking more like a mediocre block of flats tacked on as an afterthought than an architectural enhancement to an international sports venue. Now it’s a done deal we can only hope that the finished product is far superior to what these pictures suggest.
Honey of a City is spot on regarding the hotel. It's an add-on. It won’t improve looks of the already terrible design of the AO. Hope is all we have as I mentioned earlier. Make money out of this venture and use it wisely. Perhaps in the sporting community or on the stadium itself.

In five or ten years when the grand old Moreton Bay Figs give up the ghost add a Southern-style stand and fill in the gap. It’s a shit design, but at least the stadium will have some continuity. The old cricket scoreboard should go too. No tears should be shed here. Transplant it outside somewhere. Perhaps on the western side as part of a museum of cricket, SANFL and AFL.

Cheers
Are you trolling? Aesthetically this is the best major stadium in Australia and has been recognised for it's architectural merit. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion on aesthetics, but that doesn't mean you're not wrong or poorly informed.

This hotel will absolutely detract from the design of the oval unless there is a significant redesign. As it stands the finished product will be a disaster that people will realise far too late as it unveils itself like a slow moving train-wreck over the next 12 to 18 months.
An award won...yeh, but look at the other stadiums. With the exception of the new Perth stadium, they aren't anything special. So pretty much anything new, that was different from them, would have won that award.
It's a dogs breakfast though. Three stands that are different heights. One stand that has a different exterior to the others. Major gaps between all stands. The exterior of the east & south stands while it isn't bad, it's not great either for something built this century. Perth's new stadium got it right compared to ours. They even built a train station specifically for the stadium 150m away, whereas we built a tram line that stops half a kilometer away. But we were fixated on preserving some heritage at the oval, some trees, and an old scoreboard that should be moved into a museum.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#332 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Adelaide Oval can be saved by adding a new northern stand in the same roof profile as the eastern & western stands. A new stand that end does not need to mirror the southern stand, matter of fact that would be make the whole stadium look too overpowering and too closed in and out of proportion. The towers of St Peters would still be seen in media shots over a new northern stand when taken from the southern stand.

Adding a northern stand would lose about 3,000+ spaces there currently (standing & sitting), but add about 10,000 seated, all in all could have new capacity of approx 60,000.

The heritage scorecard could go to the NE corner of Adelaide Oval#2 and with a minor fence change could be sited inside the Village Green North area, still to be included on AO tours but allowing the public to see it from the west. It would fit in well with the white picket fence.

I don't like to see trees go either, but a case of one step back to go two forward. New trees could still be planted behind the new northern stand.

I walk past the the eastern side of AO and and around the back (north) of AO when cutting through from the CBD to NA regularly and I often wonder how this could be finished off. I understand why there was no northern stand originally but eventually I think it will come about.

As much as I like AO, I still cringe at TV broadcasts of sport when they show the northern end, it is too regional looking and looks unfinished. But everyone's opinions differ, some like it, and some don't...

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#333 Post by claybro » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Bob wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 pm
Adelaide Oval can be saved by adding a new northern stand in the same roof profile as the eastern & western stands. A new stand that end does not need to mirror the southern stand, matter of fact that would be make the whole stadium look too overpowering and too closed in and out of proportion. The towers of St Peters would still be seen in media shots over a new northern stand when taken from the southern stand.

Adding a northern stand would lose about 3,000+ spaces there currently (standing & sitting), but add about 10,000 seated, all in all could have new capacity of approx 60,000.

The heritage scorecard could go to the NE corner of Adelaide Oval#2 and with a minor fence change could be sited inside the Village Green North area, still to be included on AO tours but allowing the public to see it from the west. It would fit in well with the white picket fence.

I don't like to see trees go either, but a case of one step back to go two forward. New trees could still be planted behind the new northern stand.

I walk past the the eastern side of AO and and around the back (north) of AO when cutting through from the CBD to NA regularly and I often wonder how this could be finished off. I understand why there was no northern stand originally but eventually I think it will come about.

As much as I like AO, I still cringe at TV broadcasts of sport when they show the northern end, it is too regional looking and looks unfinished. But everyone's opinions differ, some like it, and some don't...
Agree that on TV, the northern end looks like a regional ground, not a world class stadium. Is it worth maintaining a pleasant shady sitting spot for a few thousand cricket fans for a handful of day sessions per year, or a dry seated stand, in keeping with the rest of the architecture for when most people use the venue. Agree also, the old scoreboard now looks rediculous on the mound next to the modern eastern stand, and the screen, and would make a beautiful feature alongside the back oval. Shots of the cathedral from inside the stadium are rare anyway.

Patrick_27

#334 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 pm

What it is about you people and comparing what we have to other states? AO isn't symmetric like Perth Stadium, cool, who really cares? I don't think people come to the oval and say to themselves: "Gee, this stadium is shit because the stands are not all the same height!" OR "Look at that mound, it kind of looks like a regional oval, doesn't it? That's tacky" I have never heard of any such comments except for on this forum, but what I have heard is people in both AFL and cricket call Adelaide Oval the best stadium in Australia and one of the best in the world; why? Because of the atmosphere which is largely created from it not being another bowl like Perth Stadium, MCG, etc. So are we going to weigh up the standard of AO based on the comments here, or the comments from people who have both played and spectated in stadiums around the world?

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#335 Post by Mr Smith » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:49 pm

It may have already been posted on here, however if not the health of the fig trees at the northern end is not good. In fact they may well be dying. So the whole saga of preserving some fig trees at some point in the not too distant future could well be a dead issue (no pun intended)

Before anyone asks for my horticultural qualifications I have none. However the state of health of the trees was passed on to me by someone who has experience in the area.

claybro

#336 Post by claybro » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 pm
What it is about you people and comparing what we have to other states? AO isn't symmetric like Perth Stadium, cool, who really cares? I don't think people come to the oval and say to themselves: "Gee, this stadium is shit because the stands are not all the same height!" OR "Look at that mound, it kind of looks like a regional oval, doesn't it? That's tacky" I have never heard of any such comments except for on this forum, but what I have heard is people in both AFL and cricket call Adelaide Oval the best stadium in Australia and one of the best in the world; why? Because of the atmosphere which is largely created from it not being another bowl like Perth Stadium, MCG, etc. So are we going to weigh up the standard of AO based on the comments here, or the comments from people who have both played and spectated in stadiums around the world?
I base it on Eastern States commentators consistently calling Perth Stadium the best venue in Australia. I base it on locals here asking me why they haven't finished AO yet when we watch games on TV. All of this is really frustrating to me, because AO is the best located Stadium in Australia if not the world. As a stadium though, it is not the best place to experience sport or catering in the outer, and that surely is its primary function.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#337 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:What it is about you people and comparing what we have to other states? AO isn't symmetric like Perth Stadium, cool, who really cares? I don't think people come to the oval and say to themselves: "Gee, this stadium is shit because the stands are not all the same height!" OR "Look at that mound, it kind of looks like a regional oval, doesn't it? That's tacky" I have never heard of any such comments except for on this forum, but what I have heard is people in both AFL and cricket call Adelaide Oval the best stadium in Australia and one of the best in the world; why? Because of the atmosphere which is largely created from it not being another bowl like Perth Stadium, MCG, etc. So are we going to weigh up the standard of AO based on the comments here, or the comments from people who have both played and spectated in stadiums around the world?
I agree with everything you’ve said Patrick and Adelaide Oval is definitely my favourite stadium in the world. I’m not from Adelaide and I’ve been to lots of stadiums in Australia, Europe, Japan and North America.

Adelaide Oval is special.

The location on the river, in the parklands, by the city and that beautiful Cathedral is stunning.

The refurbishment of an old stadium is a hard challenge but they somehow created something quite elegant. Most new stadiums look soulless but Adelaide Oval avoids that somehow.

Then there’s the hill. This undeveloped section is what creates a lot of the magic for me. I remember taking my father in law from the UK to see cricket at the AO for the first time. He’s a massive cricket fan and was so looking forward to visiting THE famous Adelaide Oval after all these years, so we got some nice seats in the East Stand. However, It was the look on his when he looked across to the hill that I’ll always remember. He saw the cars parked in rows on the grass behind the stand, the mechanical old scoreboard, the people sat on picnic blankets with their kids playing under that big tree in the corner. “It’s just like watching cricket in the village” he said with a massive smile on his face. He just thought it was the best thing ever that a modern stadium could somehow incorporate that nod to a simpler time.

Don’t be embarrassed that it looks “unfinished” or “regional”. Not many stadiums can give you the experience Adelaide Oval offers so beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#338 Post by citywatcher » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:09 pm

claybro wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
I base it on Eastern States commentators consistently calling Perth Stadium the best venue in Australia. I base it on locals here asking me why they haven't finished AO yet when we watch games on TV. All of this is really frustrating to me, because AO is the best located Stadium in Australia if not the world. As a stadium though, it is not the best place to experience sport or catering in the outer, and that surely is its primary function.
Hardly solid criteria to base an opinion on

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#339 Post by cmet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:What it is about you people and comparing what we have to other states? AO isn't symmetric like Perth Stadium, cool, who really cares? I don't think people come to the oval and say to themselves: "Gee, this stadium is shit because the stands are not all the same height!" OR "Look at that mound, it kind of looks like a regional oval, doesn't it? That's tacky" I have never heard of any such comments except for on this forum, but what I have heard is people in both AFL and cricket call Adelaide Oval the best stadium in Australia and one of the best in the world; why? Because of the atmosphere which is largely created from it not being another bowl like Perth Stadium, MCG, etc. So are we going to weigh up the standard of AO based on the comments here, or the comments from people who have both played and spectated in stadiums around the world?
I agree with everything you’ve said Patrick and Adelaide Oval is definitely my favourite stadium in the world. I’m not from Adelaide and I’ve been to lots of stadiums in Australia, Europe, Japan and North America.

Adelaide Oval is special.

The location on the river, in the parklands, by the city and that beautiful Cathedral is stunning.

The refurbishment of an old stadium is a hard challenge but they somehow created something quite elegant. Most new stadiums look soulless but Adelaide Oval avoids that somehow.

Then there’s the hill. This undeveloped section is what creates a lot of the magic for me. I remember taking my father in law from the UK to see cricket at the AO for the first time. He’s a massive cricket fan and was so looking forward to visiting THE famous Adelaide Oval after all these years, so we got some nice seats in the East Stand. However, It was the look on his when he looked across to the hill that I’ll always remember. He saw the cars parked in rows on the grass behind the stand, the mechanical old scoreboard, the people sat on picnic blankets with their kids playing under that big tree in the corner. “It’s just like watching cricket in the village” he said with a massive smile on his face. He just thought it was the best thing ever that a modern stadium could somehow incorporate that nod to a simpler time.

Don’t be embarrassed that it looks “unfinished” or “regional”. Not many stadiums can give you the experience Adelaide Oval offers so beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said. And let’s face it, the 55k ish capacity is adequate for Adelaide anyway.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#340 Post by HiTouch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 pm

This conversation really should be a seperate thread but, can I just finish this by saying that it’s cray to think that there are certain people here who seem to hate the design of the Adelaide Oval yet love the design of the concrete Swiss cheese building on Waymouth. It speaks wonders on their taste in architecture.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#341 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 am

claybro wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Newest stadium in the country = should be the best =/= Adelaide Oval is behind and in need of an upgrade.

Patrick_27

#342 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 am
claybro wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Newest stadium in the country = should be the best =/= Adelaide Oval is behind and in need of an upgrade.
With that logic, we would be undergoing major upgrades of AO every five years... Adelaide based on its population and what sporting events we host, does not require itself to be the most state of the art facility in Australia, not to say we should let the ball drop as far as we have with Memorial Drive but when you consider the state of our rectangular stadium and the fact that basketball, netball and tennis all operate out of separate facilities meanwhile elsewhere in Australia they're consolidated into one, those two points should more be our focus. And with regards to the stadium not looking finished, who cares? The stadium has a far better atmosphere than that of its interstate counterparts, and anyone who begs to differ; go watch football or cricket at the GABA, MCG or SCG and you'll realise just how good we have it.

Nort

#343 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 am

The hill at Adelaide Oval is also important because it ties Adelaide Oval into feeling as though it is part of the parklands, rather than just plonked on top of them. It's very common to see overseas tourists at Lights Lookout getting photos with that view into the oval behind them.

I have no doubt that one day a stand will be built there, and once it is it's never going away, but until that (hopefully distant) day we should enjoy having something unique that gives a great experience.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#344 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am

Yep, the design of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is, to me, functional at best. It's lifted up by the quality of materials, but I remember feeling what a missed opportunity it was that more of the oval's heritage wasn't brought into the future (the vines and bricks). The hill, however, is a strength not a weakness and anyone who can't see that is blinded by conformity. I suspect it will one day be built upon, but it should be celebrated for as long as possible.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#345 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:08 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
Yep, the design of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is, to me, functional at best. It's lifted up by the quality of materials, but I remember feeling what a missed opportunity it was that more of the oval's heritage wasn't brought into the future (the vines and bricks). The hill, however, is a strength not a weakness and anyone who can't see that is blinded by conformity. I suspect it will one day be built upon, but it should be celebrated for as long as possible.
By the look of those wet bedraggled spectators on the Northern mound on the weekend, I would say they would definitely see the hill as a weakness not a strength.