[APP] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

[APP] Re: [APP] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#436 Post by rev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm

rhino wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm
but at least the stadium will be completed and give better viewing conditions for those that choose the northern end.
As you said, these people choose to view from the Northern end. Why? Most likely because they like the atmosphere there, out in the open under the trees, on the grass. I don't think you can seriously bring them into your argument for a Northern stand.
The trees don't actually provide any cover for the hill in winter. Slightly gives some cover from the setting sun, the western stand does more of that though.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 38 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#437 Post by JAKJ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm

I cannot even begin to understand the mentality of the people who talk-down about Adelaide oval as being "not complete" and "not the same standard as Optus" etc. Either you have not traveled the world and its sporting stadia extensively or you are infected by the SA "everything is shit" mentality.

Adelaide Oval is absolutely up there with the world's great sporting grounds and recognised as such (just see English, Indian etc. travelling cricket fans and what grounds are on the bucket list as well as the views of AFL fans from other States). The ability to mix modern facilities, centrally located to transport/ nightlife / dining with elements of character, tradition and uniqueness in a stunningly picturesque setting set Adelaide apart from soulless and poorly located grounds like Optus (fantastic facilities but completely forgettable).

The Hill is one of the truly great spots period. to watch sport in any of many sporting grounds I have been to around the world, if we were to develop it and 'complete the stadium' it would take away a significant part of what makes Adelaide Oval great. There are plenty of things in Adelaide that could be improved on but Adelaide Oval in it's current state is not one of them. That is also why I think there is significant risk with the Adelaide Oval hotel based on how this project is being put together and initial designs, it stinks and usually projects that stink in the beginning inevitably turn to Sh*t in the end.

User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 459 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#438 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
There's also a third, even fourth South Australian 'type'. The third is people such as Ho Really, and my self, among others, who aren't content with the mediocre results we continue to see, and want better.

I mean wow, a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in his industry, praised Adelaide Oval. That's it, best stadium in the galaxy confirmed, no more criticism allowed.
Please don't disparagingly assume everyone who goes against you must be suffering from some kind of broad South Australian mindset - we can all have different opinions on different developments. For example, I'm not any South Australian type, as I've only lived in Adelaide for the last few years. I'm from the UK and have spent my career living and working in places like London, Canberra and Melbourne. Many of my friends in Adelaide aren't South Australian either and although we talk about things we would like to change, we always agree how proud we are of Adelaide Oval and how our visitors from interstate and overseas always, without exception, love it.

To back up this opinion, I provided you with a quote from Paul Finch, a London-based programme director of the World Architecture Festival, and editorial director of Architects’ Journal/Architectural Review who said Adelaide Oval was "the most impressive ground" he'd ever seen. What an incredible statement for someone from overseas, with his architectural reputation to uphold, experience and education to make about this stadium. Yet it looks like you've just dismissed him as "a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in the industry." Like that could be the only reason he would say something like that as opposed to maybe, just maybe, Adelaide Oval isn't as terrible as you argue?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 429 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#439 Post by rev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:40 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
There's also a third, even fourth South Australian 'type'. The third is people such as Ho Really, and my self, among others, who aren't content with the mediocre results we continue to see, and want better.

I mean wow, a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in his industry, praised Adelaide Oval. That's it, best stadium in the galaxy confirmed, no more criticism allowed.
Please don't disparagingly assume everyone who goes against you must be suffering from some kind of broad South Australian mindset - we can all have different opinions on different developments. For example, I'm not any South Australian type, as I've only lived in Adelaide for the last few years. I'm from the UK and have spent my career living and working in places like London, Canberra and Melbourne. Many of my friends in Adelaide aren't South Australian either and although we talk about things we would like to change, we always agree how proud we are of Adelaide Oval and how our visitors from interstate and overseas always, without exception, love it.

To back up this opinion, I provided you with a quote from Paul Finch, a London-based programme director of the World Architecture Festival, and editorial director of Architects’ Journal/Architectural Review who said Adelaide Oval was "the most impressive ground" he'd ever seen. What an incredible statement for someone from overseas, with his architectural reputation to uphold, experience and education to make about this stadium. Yet it looks like you've just dismissed him as "a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in the industry." Like that could be the only reason he would say something like that as opposed to maybe, just maybe, Adelaide Oval isn't as terrible as you argue?
Where you here prior to the redevelopment which opened at the start of the 2014/15 summer cricket season in November/December?

You assume that because I argue passionately, I have a problem with other peoples opinions, or them having opinions at all.

So while lecturing me on opinions, you then tell me my opinion is wrong because some guy has a different opinion to mine.

User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 459 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#440 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:57 pm

rev wrote:
AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
There's also a third, even fourth South Australian 'type'. The third is people such as Ho Really, and my self, among others, who aren't content with the mediocre results we continue to see, and want better.

I mean wow, a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in his industry, praised Adelaide Oval. That's it, best stadium in the galaxy confirmed, no more criticism allowed.
Please don't disparagingly assume everyone who goes against you must be suffering from some kind of broad South Australian mindset - we can all have different opinions on different developments. For example, I'm not any South Australian type, as I've only lived in Adelaide for the last few years. I'm from the UK and have spent my career living and working in places like London, Canberra and Melbourne. Many of my friends in Adelaide aren't South Australian either and although we talk about things we would like to change, we always agree how proud we are of Adelaide Oval and how our visitors from interstate and overseas always, without exception, love it.

To back up this opinion, I provided you with a quote from Paul Finch, a London-based programme director of the World Architecture Festival, and editorial director of Architects’ Journal/Architectural Review who said Adelaide Oval was "the most impressive ground" he'd ever seen. What an incredible statement for someone from overseas, with his architectural reputation to uphold, experience and education to make about this stadium. Yet it looks like you've just dismissed him as "a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in the industry." Like that could be the only reason he would say something like that as opposed to maybe, just maybe, Adelaide Oval isn't as terrible as you argue?
Where you here prior to the redevelopment which opened at the start of the 2014/15 summer cricket season in November/December?

You assume that because I argue passionately, I have a problem with other peoples opinions, or them having opinions at all.

So while lecturing me on opinions, you then tell me my opinion is wrong because some guy has a different opinion to mine.

I don’t assume you have a problem with other people’s opinion it’s a fact, as shown by your comments in this thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 134 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#441 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:07 pm

I can't wait for the completion of this development. I think it will look great. Then focus on a northern stand and relocate the old scoreboard to be part of an Adelaide Oval Sporting Museum.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#442 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 am
Make no mistake about it Adelaide Oval is a magnificent venue. Comparisons with Perth or Mars or Timbuktu are pointless. What give Adelaide the edge, besides its setting and great spectator experience is its uniqueness. And innovation and uniqueness is what a provincial city needs if it wants to be noticed - but in tandem with brilliant design. Getting back to the thread topic (hotel not fig trees), the hotel concept may be admirable as an initiative, but the design is downright putrid. Being innovative is not an excuse for being design-lazy, and another huge opportunity will be missed if the published design proceeds.
Adelaide Oval is magnificent only because of location nothing else. Yes it is pointless, you know why? Because Perth Stadium is in a different league. Of course Adelaide oval is unique, every building or stadium is unless it is a clone, however its real beauty died a long time ago when the original stands were taken down. This was even before the Bradman Stand was built on the Torrens end. Do you remember the grassed hill next to it? If you can't then you don't know what Adelaide Oval was.

I agree that innovation and uniqueness is required in any building. I also agree with you about the concept of the hotel and the design. You know it could easily be fixed. All they need to do is improve the facade. You know SA Water in Victoria Square? Build a steel frame with patterned coloured-glass all round. This will also cover and improve the look of the upper part of the stadium where you see the unberbelly of the terraces. This could be done when they build the Northern Stand and when they raise the height of the Western (Members) Stand. There you have it...voilà!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

cmet
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 pm
Been thanked: 91 times

[APP] Adelaide Oval Hotel

#443 Post by cmet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 pm

“however its real beauty died a long time ago when the original stands were taken down. This was even before the Bradman Stand was built on the Torrens end. Do you remember the grassed hill next to it? If you can't then you don't know what Adelaide Oval was”

If you don’t remember the opening back in 1871 you have no idea what you’re talking about. Those were the days!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
timtam20292
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1100
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm
Has thanked: 897 times
Been thanked: 150 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#444 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:52 pm

The oval looks great now as does the foot bridge. :2cents:

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 49 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#445 Post by NTRabbit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Glossing over the serious issues that Perth Stadium has, like the too hard playing surface, and the need for view and atmosphere obstructing crowd control fences around the entire fence line because the grandstands are elevated above the playing field.

At least it doesn't kill its own grass as well, like the ugly disaster at Docklands.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1764
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 220 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#446 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 pm
You know SA Water in Victoria Square? Build a steel frame with patterned coloured-glass all round. This will also cover and improve the look of the upper part of the stadium where you see the unberbelly of the terraces. This could be done when they build the Northern Stand and when they raise the height of the Western (Members) Stand. There you have it...voilà!
I'm sorry, but if your idea of taste is the facade of the SA Water building on Victoria Square, then I don't even know what the point of having this debate with you is. That building is only a decade old and it's already aged terribly.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 151 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#447 Post by Algernon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 am

Some jimmies rustled 'round these parts

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 71 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#448 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 am

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 am
Make no mistake about it Adelaide Oval is a magnificent venue. Comparisons with Perth or Mars or Timbuktu are pointless. What give Adelaide the edge, besides its setting and great spectator experience is its uniqueness. And innovation and uniqueness is what a provincial city needs if it wants to be noticed - but in tandem with brilliant design. Getting back to the thread topic (hotel not fig trees), the hotel concept may be admirable as an initiative, but the design is downright putrid. Being innovative is not an excuse for being design-lazy, and another huge opportunity will be missed if the published design proceeds.
Adelaide Oval is magnificent only because of location nothing else. Yes it is pointless, you know why? Because Perth Stadium is in a different league. Of course Adelaide oval is unique, every building or stadium is unless it is a clone, however its real beauty died a long time ago when the original stands were taken down. This was even before the Bradman Stand was built on the Torrens end. Do you remember the grassed hill next to it? If you can't then you don't know what Adelaide Oval was.

I agree that innovation and uniqueness is required in any building. I also agree with you about the concept of the hotel and the design. You know it could easily be fixed. All they need to do is improve the facade. You know SA Water in Victoria Square? Build a steel frame with patterned coloured-glass all round. This will also cover and improve the look of the upper part of the stadium where you see the unberbelly of the terraces. This could be done when they build the Northern Stand and when they raise the height of the Western (Members) Stand. There you have it...voilà!

Cheers
Ok so let’s build a pig and then maybe think of putting lipstick on it down the track? You know that’s not going to happen (at least the lipstick part). Yep I do remember the Torrens hill well - spent hundreds of hours there summer and winter - especially at the cricket when the northern hill was fenced off and marqueed for members only and the plebs were banished to the Torrens hill frying pan. Or sardined in at footy finals with one toilet block you couldn’t even get near. Funny wasn’t thinking of the ‘real beauty’ of the venue at that time. But I do now, and the arrival experience crossing the footbridge or from the cathedral end is especially awesome....every time.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 145 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#449 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
There's also a third, even fourth South Australian 'type'. The third is people such as Ho Really, and my self, among others, who aren't content with the mediocre results we continue to see, and want better.

I mean wow, a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in his industry, praised Adelaide Oval. That's it, best stadium in the galaxy confirmed, no more criticism allowed.
Please don't disparagingly assume everyone who goes against you must be suffering from some kind of broad South Australian mindset - we can all have different opinions on different developments. For example, I'm not any South Australian type, as I've only lived in Adelaide for the last few years. I'm from the UK and have spent my career living and working in places like London, Canberra and Melbourne. Many of my friends in Adelaide aren't South Australian either and although we talk about things we would like to change, we always agree how proud we are of Adelaide Oval and how our visitors from interstate and overseas always, without exception, love it.

To back up this opinion, I provided you with a quote from Paul Finch, a London-based programme director of the World Architecture Festival, and editorial director of Architects’ Journal/Architectural Review who said Adelaide Oval was "the most impressive ground" he'd ever seen. What an incredible statement for someone from overseas, with his architectural reputation to uphold, experience and education to make about this stadium. Yet it looks like you've just dismissed him as "a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in the industry." Like that could be the only reason he would say something like that as opposed to maybe, just maybe, Adelaide Oval isn't as terrible as you argue?
This. There are plenty of backwards things in Adelaide, but there are also lots of fantastic things. Adelaide Oval falls squarely in the fantastic column, and the best way to ruin it is by chasing after a city with a 50% higher population than ours.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#450 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 am

cmet wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 pm
“however its real beauty died a long time ago when the original stands were taken down. This was even before the Bradman Stand was built on the Torrens end. Do you remember the grassed hill next to it? If you can't then you don't know what Adelaide Oval was”

If you don’t remember the opening back in 1871 you have no idea what you’re talking about. Those were the days!

ImageImageImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarcasm is not required, but yes the oiriginal Adelaide Oval would have character even now if it was still around.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Nathan, Srey Pov and 4 guests