[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#106 Post by rev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:37 pm

From the info I posted above, make of it what you will.
The loan from SAFA of up to $42m will be provided at a standard market rate on a 30-year principal and interest arrangement. As the landlord, the State Government has provided the necessary works approval following consideration by Cabinet.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#107 Post by Algernon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:37 pm
The loan from SAFA of up to $42m will be provided at a standard market rate on a 30-year principal and interest arrangement. As the landlord, the State Government has provided the necessary works approval following consideration by Cabinet.
30 years for a commercial loan is hardly standard

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#108 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:33 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm
Norman wrote:It still needs approval from SCAP I believe.
Are you sure?
SMA say they are building this in May.
Isnt the builder already contacted.
To stop from here would require the courts.
It hasn't even been formally submitted.

Waewick

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#109 Post by Waewick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Algernon wrote:
rev wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:37 pm
30 years for a commercial loan is hardly standard
For 42m a repayment period of that long is.

Term would be shorter for pricing purpose

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#110 Post by rev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 pm

crawf wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:33 pm
bits wrote:
Are you sure?
Does it need to be in this case? The info on the SMA site says the government has approved the necessary works, does that refer to the planning or actual construction work.

Waewick

#111 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:54 am

If i remember correctly, the Councils control of the parklands is due to the State Government giving it the powers. So if the State Government has committed to it then its happenening regardless of what the council thinks.

bits
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#112 Post by bits » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:31 am

crawf wrote:
bits wrote:
Are you sure?
You might be waiting for paperwork that is never coming.
SMA say this is approved.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#113 Post by how good is he » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Interesting Anne Moran on nine news tonight said the SMA /Govt will need to (eventually) ask the ACC for landlord consent for this and the councillors will be voting on what their position is (and the majority may be against it). I wasn’t aware the ACC even had this power?

City Council push to stop construction of Adelaide Oval hotel
Patrick McDonald, Sunday Mail (SA)
December 9, 2018
The plans for a hotel at Adelaide Oval
The mixed reaction from our readers
New Lord Mayor is ready to spearhead the opposition
A vote to block construction of a proposed $42 million luxury hotel on parklands property surrounding Adelaide Oval will be put forward by city councillors this week.

Councillor Anne Moran said plans by the State Government to underwrite the Stadium Management Authority’s construction of a 128-room hotel were “inconsistent” with the Act governing use of the parklands.

Cr Moran said she would put forward the motion, to be seconded by fellow councillor Robert Simms, at the City Council’s final meeting for the year on Tuesday.

The motion says that the hotel would be “inconsistent with the statutory principles of the Adelaide Park Lands Act 2005 and the values of the National Heritage Listing of the Adelaide Park Lands and City Layout under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999’’.

As “custodians of the area’’, council had the right to withhold “landlord consent”, Cr Moran said.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor with councillors Mary Couros, Anne Moran and Helen Donovan. Picture: Russell Millard/AAP
Adelaide’s new Lord Mayor, Sandy Verschoor, has already foreshadowed that she is prepared to fight the State Government over the proposed hotel development.

Last week, Ms Verschoor said the Adelaide Oval precinct was parklands leased from the City Council to the relevant state minister, then to the Stadium Management Authority with conditions for its ongoing use by the South Australian Cricket Association and SANFL.

Premier Steven Marshall has supported the Stadium Management Authority’s “continual push for diversified revenue’’ but said that the State Government would only provide a commercial loan for the project and that no public money would be spent on it.

The Stadium Management Authority, along with its SACA and SANFL partners, had prepared the business case for a hotel as part of plans to offset the oval’s ongoing running costs with a regular income stream that is not dependent on events

claybro

#114 Post by claybro » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:06 pm

This has all the stench of the Victoria Park grandstand saga all over it. The Libs will find themselves in another rabbit hole if they are not careful. They need to leave this one alone I think.

Ho Really

#115 Post by Ho Really » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 pm

This development reminds me of a famous Woody Allen quote in the movie Annie Hall, about two elderly Jewish women at a mountain resort. One of them says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Adelaide Oval is not a world class sporting venue (food terrible) ruined by a hotel (small portions).

It's a joke!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

ghs

#116 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm
I'll give you another scenario. If this project goes ahead, how does the construction company deliver all the building materials
and equipment onto the site when there's no road. Are they going to park the concrete trucks in the basement and then pump the concrete
up the elevator shaft ?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a recipe for disaster.
As Nort said, they could come in off Pennington Terrace closer to King William Road which will bring them right to the north eastern corner, or they could come in off of King William Road it self. Maybe they'll even bring the trucks in over the grass. Who cares the grass will be replanted.

Next straw you want to clutch at?
I was at the oval today and I checked out this area on the North Eastern side of the stadium. I am sorry to say this but during construction it's going to be impossible for trucks to deliver materials from the Pennington Terrace entrance. There's a massive fig tree outside the ground near where the scoreboard is.

While I am at it, the crowds were pathetic at the test match. Only 10,000 there today and about 30,000 on saturday. I thought the Adelaide test was meant to be popular. I know the weather wasn't great, but after the attendance that they had last year the numbers this year were a disgrace.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#117 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Adelaide City Council to vote on opposing Oval Hotel, but Stadium Management Authority says it won’t make a difference

Simeon Thomas-Wilson, City Editor, The Advertiser
an hour ago
Subscriber only

A potential decision by the Adelaide City Council to withhold landlord consent for the planned hotel at Adelaide Oval won’t make a difference to the status of the project, the State Government says.

On Monday night the council will vote on a proposal by outspoken councillor Anne Moran for the council to take a hard line stand on the plans for a boutique 128-room hotel outside the Eastern Gate of the Oval, which is backed by a $42 million loan from the State Government.

The Advertiser understands the proposal by Cr Moran has split the elected members but she is a strong chance of getting the numbers on the floor.

This is despite there being moves to try to find a weak spot in the motion.

The Advertiser has been told the council also has sought legal advice regarding Cr Moran’s proposal.

Adelaide Oval will become the first stadium in Australia to feature an integrated hotel under plans revealed today by the Stadium Management Authority.
Cr Moran said she would be happy to amend her proposal so long as it showed the council was taking a stand.

“As long as it means the council flags its opposition to it,” Cr Moran said.

“I’m more than happy to instead move that the council supports the comments the Lord Mayor (Sandy Verschoor) has made about it to the media.

“The main message I want to get through is that we don’t like it.”

Ms Verschoor has said she was prepared to defend the parklands from “commercial development” if legal advice permitted the council to oppose it. Yesterday, she said she was still waiting on the final legal advice.

But the State Government reiterated that the hotel was in the core area of the Oval under legislation that allowed its $535 million redevelopment.

An artist’s impression of the Adelaide Oval Hotel. The Adelaide City Council will vote on taking a hard line stance against the development.
“This is a complying development that will ensure Adelaide Oval remains a world class stadium and will help grow South Australia’s visitor economy and support local jobs,” a government spokesman said.

A Stadium Management Authority spokeswoman said the hotel only had to get consent of the State Government.

“That notwithstanding, we recognise the role council has to play which is why last week we offered them the opportunity of another briefing to ensure they have a full and proper understanding of the project,” she said.

“Council is yet to take this offer up and we feel it would be disappointing if they discussed this matter tomorrow without taking this offer up first.”

The Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association has called on its members to attend tonight’s meeting to let the council know “they will have the community behind them”.

Patrick_27

#118 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:49 pm

The manner in which the government and stadium authority are going about this is quite disgusting considering it's a publicly owned asset and there has been zero consultation with the public, let alone SACA members. This project will destroy the aesthetic of the oval...

claybro

#119 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm
While I am at it, the crowds were pathetic at the test match. Only 10,000 there today and about 30,000 on saturday. I thought the Adelaide test was meant to be popular. I know the weather wasn't great, but after the attendance that they had last year the numbers this year were a disgrace.
Were they though? I don't imagine there were ever days in the modern era of tests that Adelaide would draw 30000 to a days play against India. Bearing in mind also the brand of Australian cricket has been badly damaged by the cheating scandal. I thought the crowds were relatively healthy, and I think you will find will more then match the expected crowds in Perth, where despite the novelty of the new stadium, they are struggling to sell tickets.

ghs

#120 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm

22,000 yesterday was pretty poor, given the indian population in Australia and the reputation of the Adelaide test match.
You can't compare the Perth test match to Adelaide. Perth doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to a good test match
due to outdate WACA ground.