[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#121 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Well ghs, I don’t think you have to worry about outdated facilities. The Perth Test is being played at the brand new $1billion Optus Stadium.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#122 Post by SBD » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm
While I am at it, the crowds were pathetic at the test match. Only 10,000 there today and about 30,000 on saturday. I thought the Adelaide test was meant to be popular. I know the weather wasn't great, but after the attendance that they had last year the numbers this year were a disgrace.
Were they though? I don't imagine there were ever days in the modern era of tests that Adelaide would draw 30000 to a days play against India. Bearing in mind also the brand of Australian cricket has been badly damaged by the cheating scandal. I thought the crowds were relatively healthy, and I think you will find will more then match the expected crowds in Perth, where despite the novelty of the new stadium, they are struggling to sell tickets.
2014 1st test against India at Adelaide went Tuesday-Saturday at short notice due to someone's funeral. I can't find absolute numbers, but the first day was a lot lower than the hoped for 35-38,000 on the original first day, and still a record for Day One of an Indian test. https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cr ... a125055a55

UPDATE: 2014 day 1 against India in Adelaide crowd was 25, 619 https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/cricke ... t-day-one/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#123 Post by rev » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm
While I am at it, the crowds were pathetic at the test match. Only 10,000 there today and about 30,000 on saturday. I thought the Adelaide test was meant to be popular. I know the weather wasn't great, but after the attendance that they had last year the numbers this year were a disgrace.
Were they though? I don't imagine there were ever days in the modern era of tests that Adelaide would draw 30000 to a days play against India. Bearing in mind also the brand of Australian cricket has been badly damaged by the cheating scandal. I thought the crowds were relatively healthy, and I think you will find will more then match the expected crowds in Perth, where despite the novelty of the new stadium, they are struggling to sell tickets.
There’s been many years where the crowds have been 30,000~ for a days play at the oval.

Most of crowd actually spends the majority of the test match on the village green area, drinking, eating, watching the game live on big screens. They even have live music. And it’s quite a young crowd.

See, like the horse racing it’s now more about the social scene rather then the sport it self.

The problem for cricket at the moment is the men’s side isn’t as dominant over everyone else as they once were, and throw in the tampering scandal, and interest starts to decline.

Patrick_27

#124 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:19 am

The ball tampering scandal has been mentioned but it has certainly hindered crowds for this series so far and will continue to do so for some time. Also, the change of playtime from day/night to back to day test has probably turned some people away (India's choice to play in the daytime). I also wouldn't be surprised if some fan's enthusiasm has gone out the door with the new Seven/Foxtel TV deal, I know that doesn't make much sense considering it's TV and if people weren't happy with that they could come and watch the test in person but my enthusiasm for a sport certainly depends on how it's being covered in the media and I genuinely feel that the lack of public broadcasting for cricket has probably left people feeling a bit 'meh' about the game. Psychology is a weird thing. Regardless, not as healthier crowds as in the past but hopefully it'll pick up next year!

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#125 Post by Bob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm

You will find the latest Australian sporting crowd numbers on this website, and any other general info you want regarding stadiums etc:

https://www.austadiums.com/

As for the recent Adelaide Test Match crowd numbers by Day of play, that info is here:

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/sta ... s.php?id=2

Waewick

#126 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am

I'm fine with the council objecting to this development.

But why do they need to be so childish about it? It's not like putting advertising on the Opera House or anything like that.

The AHA are even worse, they were against RCC, until it moved, then they weren't.

Our local organisations need to grow up and start delivering sensible adult arguements.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#127 Post by Pistol » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

I sat in the members and remember the days of the 'outer' booing the members.
These days, I don't think there is any 'outer' to boo.

Numbers were very thin in GA - even the Hill on the first day was sparse.
Would say that SACA Members made up 75% of the numbers for this Test which is very surprising.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

ml69
Legendary Member!

#128 Post by ml69 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Definitely not having a day/night test has cost crowd numbers.

Also Australia have no star batsmen at the moment to put bums on seats. Probably our weakest batting lineup in living memory.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by A-Town » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Pistol wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm
[/quote]

I sat in the members and remember the days of the 'outer' booing the members.
These days, I don't think there is any 'outer' to boo.

Numbers were very thin in GA - even the Hill on the first day was sparse.
Would say that SACA Members made up 75% of the numbers for this Test which is very surprising.
[/quote]
That's because many of those in the outer 5 years ago would now be in the members stand (myself included). The rest are now spread out in the northern section with a smaller hill, the massive eastern stand and parts of the southern stand. A crowd of 25k in a 32k capacity stadium has a far better atmosphere than a crowd of 25k in a 53k capacity stadium. The old AO was perfect for Test matches like the one last week.

However in saying that, there were a number of factors that reduced crowd numbers last week which many people are choosing to ignore. These include starting the test on a Thursday, scorching heat on days 1 and 2, and wet weather on day 3, no trains running on the weekend, a severely weakened Aussie lineup without Smith and Warner and no day/night time slot. Had everything gone our way with the above, the crowd would have been 35-40k.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#130 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am

Apparently the ticket sales at Perth Stadium are pretty soft as well, and a lot of stands won't be open. This is really more of an issue with test cricket itself and the state of the Australian team.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#131 Post by Pikey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am
Apparently the ticket sales at Perth Stadium are pretty soft as well, and a lot of stands won't be open. This is really more of an issue with test cricket itself and the state of the Australian team.
Evidently Perth has budgeted 70,000 people to attend over the five days.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#132 Post by Bob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:02 pm

FYI

The Perth Test Match total crowd numbers have come in with a total of approx 80,000, compared to the recent Adelaide Test Match of approx 112,000.

I thought the Adelaide Test Match crowds were a bit sparse as well whilst in attendance, but considering the first 2 days of the Adelaide Test were extreme weather conditions and then compare to Perth who had the new stadium, the WA school holidays, only Day 1 was extreme weather with Days 2,3,4 & 5 perfect for cricket, Adelaide crowd numbers fared well.

Maybe Adelaide should be given the first weekend of school holidays next year for the Test Match before the Boxing Day Test at the MCG, then I think you would find Adelaide attendances higher again.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#133 Post by rev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 pm

For those wondering as per the earlier discussion of whether this is approved already or not, this has been submitted for approval..

Construction of five level building to be integrated with the Eastern Grandstand and East Gate entry of the Adelaide Oval (comprising a central elevated reception pod, concourse level lift shafts, two elevated sections on either side of the East Gate entry comprising hotel rooms and access corridors); installation of associated infrastructure including lighting and CCTV fixtures; internal alterations to the layout and operation of the basement level carparking; alterations to the basement L2 lift foyer area, to provide a defined hotel entrance from the car parking area; installation of wayfinding signage; alteration to lift configurations and corridors/public areas to allow separation and management of hotel and event patrons; and selected demolition of façade and architectural elements associated with the Eastern Grandtand to facilitate the project.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by how good is he » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Adelaide Oval boutique hotel gets development planning approval
Paul Starick, Chief Reporter, Sunday Mail (SA)

Adelaide Oval operators are hunting for builders for a 128-room boutique hotel wrapping around the eastern grandstand after it received planning approval on Friday, in a process opponents branded secretive and rushed.

The State Commission Assessment Panel approval came just nine days after plans were lodged on December 12, which was a day after the Adelaide City Council unanimously voted to oppose the project.

The Oval Stadium Management Authority (SMA) and the State Government, which is financing the hotel with a loan of up to $42 million, both hailed the approval as an important milestone,

SMA chief executive officer Andrew Daniels said: “This enables us to start seeking a builder and keeps us on schedule in terms of completion of a fully compliant project in time for the T20 World Cup in August 2020.”

But Labor treasury spokesman Stephen Mullighan accused the Government of rushing planning approval just before Christmas to avoid scrutiny and Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor vowed to continue pushing it to abandon support for the hotel.

Approval was given for a five-level building, to be integrated with the eastern grandstand and east gate entry, comprising a central elevated reception pod, concourse level lift shafts and two elevated sections on either side of the east gate.

Associated infrastructure would include alterations to lift configurations and corridors/public areas to allow separation and management of hotel and event patrons, along with selected demolition of eastern grandstand facade and architectural elements.

Eight planning conditions were imposed, according to the publicly available decision notification form, including that the patina and finish of bronze and any new copper mesh complement the existing eastern grandstand’s anodised bronze finish. Building rules consent and development approval are still required.

The Sunday Mail last month revealed plans for the Australian-first stadium hotel, which proponents say will not extend past the footprint for the Oval created during the award-winning $535 million redevelopment opened in 2014

Acting Planning Minister David Speirs said it was welcome news that the Oval hotel was one step closer to reality.

‘The State Government required that, through the planning process, the proposed hotel went through the Office for Design and Architecture SA, which ensured the design of the proposed hotel would complement the Oval,” he said.

Adelaide Oval will become the first stadium in Australia to feature an integrated hotel under plans by the Stadium Management Authority. Picture: Supplied
“This exciting development will support over a hundred local jobs and help breathe life into North Adelaide by drawing more tourists to the area.

“Adelaide needs more hotels of this calibre and the Government is delighted to see this project moving forward.”

But Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor, whose council does not have planning authority over the hotel, said bluntly: “Council strongly opposes the hotel development and will continue to advocate to the State Government to withdraw its support.”

Opposition Treasury spokesman Stephen Mullighan said: “It is extraordinary that this was considered and approved within 9 days — this is further evidence of the special treatment the Marshall Liberal Government is providing their friends at the Stadium Management Authority.

“It’s bad enough that a $42 million taxpayer-funded loan is being provided to a private hotel to compete with the rest of hotel industry — now the government is providing special treatment for the SMA through the planning system.”

Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association president Shane Sody said the hotel was fundamentally different to the adjacent sports venue.

“This is a 24/7 private business designed to make money for a select few to the exclusion of the public,” he said.

“The concept is completely different to the Oval and utterly objectionable.”

Mr Sody said the association would co-ordinate a “black armband” silent protest at the hotel site on Saturday, January 5, at noon.

Patrick_27

#135 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:12 am

Goes to show how fucked the DAC are, this proposal needs further consultation considering it's being built on public land...