[COM] 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

#1 Post by rogue » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:46 am

Landmark bank to be hotel

January 21, 2007 12:15am

ONE of the city's historic landmarks the old Bank of New South Wales building is to be transformed into a 121-room botique hotel.

The 64-year-old bank (now Westpac) on the corner of North Tce and King William St will become a Seasons of Adelaide hotel.

Melbourne-based International Equities Corporation has paid a reported $6.7 million for the building, which was formerly the state headquarters of the Westpac Bank.

It lodged a development application with Adelaide City Council before Christmas.

The company owns and operates hotels in Myanmar, Perth and Melbourne and the Seasons of Adelaide is its first venture into SA.

Company director Marcus Tow said the hotel would feature a combination of studios and one-bedroom suites and have a contemporary feel.

The aim was to capitalise on Adelaide's corporate market. The modern-art deco building would not be demolished.

Construction could take up to 18 months to complete.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#2 Post by Algernon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 am

It's interesting to see that North Terrace is slowly being reclaimed as a residential/accomodation area, with business slowly migrating toward the middle of Adelaide.

I've got no insights beyond mentioning this phenomenon.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Landmark bank to be hotel

#3 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 am

Application was lodged with ACC yesterday to commence internal demolition and alterations.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:24 am

Great stuff.. no mention of additional of floors ?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

No, nothing about additional floors at the moment and the demolition is for floors 1 -7. Not sure how many this building has...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 am

Howie wrote:Great stuff.. no mention of additional of floors ?
I'm sure that the aditional floors are to be built at the back of the building similar to what is happening with the Rydges South Park.

They couldn't build additional floors on top of the building, as that would ruin the appearance of the building, and because it is heritage listed it would not be allowed.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 am

I searched this one in 'development tracking' a while back and I am sure that the additional floors idea has been scrapped and withdrawn. Not completely sure though and I don't have time to check now sorry.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:46 am

Will wrote: They couldn't build additional floors on top of the building, as that would ruin the appearance of the building, and because it is heritage listed it would not be allowed.
Hmm.. there has been precedence of extra levels being added to heritage buildings before though. Bagot's House on North Terrace is an example of this, so I believe is one of the buildings in Rundle Mall close to Renaissance.

I think maybe a roof garden of some description with a small lookout would be tasteful for this building.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Howie wrote:
Will wrote: They couldn't build additional floors on top of the building, as that would ruin the appearance of the building, and because it is heritage listed it would not be allowed.
Hmm.. there has been precedence of extra levels being added to heritage buildings before though. Bagot's House on North Terrace is an example of this, so I believe is one of the buildings in Rundle Mall close to Renaissance.

I think maybe a roof garden of some description with a small lookout would be tasteful for this building.
I don't think Bagot House is heritage lsited. It is not in the book "Heritage of the City of Adelaide" which lsits all heritage buildings in the city. Maybe it is a recent addition?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:26 pm

Will wrote:I don't think Bagot House is heritage lsited. It is not in the book "Heritage of the City of Adelaide" which lsits all heritage buildings in the city. Maybe it is a recent addition?
Yeah, sorry i don't have any info on that. But I do know that all the surrounding buildings on north terrace were heritage listed at the time of the myer centre construction. It'd come as surprise if Bagot House wasn't - although it might be listed under another name perhaps?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Will » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 pm

Howie wrote:
Will wrote:I don't think Bagot House is heritage lsited. It is not in the book "Heritage of the City of Adelaide" which lsits all heritage buildings in the city. Maybe it is a recent addition?
Yeah, sorry i don't have any info on that. But I do know that all the surrounding buildings on north terrace were heritage listed at the time of the myer centre construction. It'd come as surprise if Bagot House wasn't - although it might be listed under another name perhaps?
Howie are you referring to this building:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm

That's the one mate. That used to be the old bagot's house wasn't it? Maybe my memory is failing me.. doesn't surprise me i'm having one of those days.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Will » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Howie wrote:That's the one mate. That used to be the old bagot's house wasn't it? Maybe my memory is failing me.. doesn't surprise me i'm having one of those days.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Bagot House is the smaller 5 level building to the left of the building (Tobin House) in the photo.

However despite this neither Tobin House or Bagot House are listed in my book. However I would be shocked if Tobin House was not heritage listed, as it is a beautiful building.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:11 pm

It is, it is... definately ranked highly on my list of favourite north terrace buildings.

urban
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by urban » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:58 pm

165, 170, 172, 175, 178 and 188 North Tce are all State Heritage Listed. I don't think Bagot or Tobin are at any of those addresses. They might still be Local Heritage listed