[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] Re: Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | ~ 135m | 35 levels

#106 Post by d3v310per » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm

From InDaily... City council firm on Central Market Arcade cost, despite councillor suspicions

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2020/ ... uspicions/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#107 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Also from article:
The council hopes to begin demolition of the existing Central Market Arcade in May 2021 – a delay from the original target of September 2020, which the council says was to allow the 61 traders currently operating in the arcade the opportunity to earn over the busy Christmas trading period.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#108 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:56 pm

According to tonight’s council meeting this could be lodged with the scap in the next month or so.
Attachments
41B91758-77C1-4B9F-BC97-C53129F8117F.jpeg

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm

I’m so excited for this. It’s a great design that will transform one of Adelaides clown jewels, the markets. It’ll have as big of an impact street level as it will on the skyline and really bring the skyline further south.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#110 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:41 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm
...one of Adelaides clown jewels...
:lol: :applause:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#111 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:41 am
Mpol03 wrote:
:lol: :applause:

Cheers
:cheers: :toilet: :banana: :twisted:

Nort

#112 Post by Nort » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am

Really glad to hear this is still looking to go ahead. A major city centre development like this will be a nice positive in the Covid recovery.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#113 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 am

Mpol03 wrote:
:hilarious: :applause:

Patrick_27

#114 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 am

Mpol03 wrote:
I’m so excited for this. It’s a great design that will transform one of Adelaides clown jewels, the markets. It’ll have as big of an impact street level as it will on the skyline and really bring the skyline further south.
Spoken like someone who never frequents the Central Markets, because ask anyone who does and they will tell you that the Markets don't need to be 'transformed' even those people who have progressive ideas. Sure, the arcade is a dive, but building a 135m high-rise building above doesn't add anything to the Markets, it just puts the pre-existing long-term retailers at risk for a duration, which some of the better retailers have already chosen not to renew their lease with this development imminent, so it's already upsetting the world renowned quality of the Markets. It's such a noob attitude, and something I usually expect a lot from those in government, when someone says that something needs to be 'transformed' when it's actually been doing just fine without said 'transformation'. What's that expression, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#115 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:56 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 am
Mpol03 wrote:
Spoken like someone who never frequents the Central Markets, because ask anyone who does and they will tell you that the Markets don't need to be 'transformed' even those people who have progressive ideas. Sure, the arcade is a dive, but building a 135m high-rise building above doesn't add anything to the Markets, it just puts the pre-existing long-term retailers at risk for a duration, which some of the better retailers have already chosen not to renew their lease with this development imminent, so it's already upsetting the world renowned quality of the Markets. It's such a noob attitude, and something I usually expect a lot from those in government, when someone says that something needs to be 'transformed' when it's actually been doing just fine without said 'transformation'. What's that expression, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
I understand some market traders are nervous about the inconvenience during construction, but others I have heard from fully expect the whole precinct to be better off for the arcade transformation. The redevelopment won't change the market hall itself and is about more than just a 135m tower. It's the renewal of an entire city block. It's a nonsense to pretend the arcade is perfect as-is and that there's no potential to be unleashed because of some inconveniences that can be managed -- for instance, council has already offered to make additional parking available at the bus layover to compensate for the temporary loss.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#116 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mpol03 wrote:
I do frequent the markets, and I fully support the redevelopment. The arcade is a depressing mess that actively kills links to the street and the square and it absolutely needs to be replaced. The development puts more people in the area (that aren't driving), massively improves the Grote St frontage, and will allow for a greater variety and quality of outlets that compliment the main market.

Patrick_27

#117 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:40 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:23 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mpol03 wrote:
I do frequent the markets, and I fully support the redevelopment. The arcade is a depressing mess that actively kills links to the street and the square and it absolutely needs to be replaced. The development puts more people in the area (that aren't driving), massively improves the Grote St frontage, and will allow for a greater variety and quality of outlets that compliment the main market.
The arcade is a depressing mess, sure, so replace it. Do we need to draw out a demolition/construction phase any longer by adding a high-rise building on top? No. There are plenty of nearby spots you can expand on local residency, the old bus terminal for instance without needing to take up the airspace over the Markets. And on your point of greater variety and quality, both already exist, most of what will end up in this new arcade will be major/chain food retailers willing to pay more in rent which will ultimately result in a hiking up in the price of rent for those retailers who do a roaring trade but can't necessarily survive with an increase in rent. There are limits to what is good about this redevelopment just as there are limits to what is bad.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#118 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

That’s what I want to change, so the arcade. Not the markets themselves. When I lived in Adelaide I was there option so please don’t presume.

The arcade is in desperate need of a lift. I too hope the construction isn’t so drawn out it affects traders. No one wants that. Especially in current times.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#119 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:01 pm

The markets themselves are great, but the arcade feels incredibly outdated, and I find it quite depressing and sort of sleazy being there! I welcome the development of the arcade as long as the actual market is left as is and doesn't experience a negative impact.

As for the tower, as long as it maintains the proposed height or more, it will have a significant affect on the skyline and hopefully create an exciting impact at street level in the area. If it were to be like the Hyatt and increasingly drop in height or build quality, then I don't see it as feasible.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#120 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:40 pm
The arcade is a depressing mess, sure, so replace it. Do we need to draw out a demolition/construction phase any longer by adding a high-rise building on top? No. There are plenty of nearby spots you can expand on local residency, the old bus terminal for instance without needing to take up the airspace over the Markets.
Why not both? From what I understand, this will be a staged development such that the retail and car parking levels (which will continue to be owned by council) will be constructed first and open to trade while buildings above continue to rise.
Keep Adelaide Weird