[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Central Market

#61 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Going against the grain here, because there has to be at-least one person who is critical of these proposals (even if the do look pretty good). It is an incredible design and proposal but the airspace is way too tall considering what it's next to, for instance, the upper part of the podium takes away entirely from the Federal Hall building despite the lower part attempting to bring back some cohesion, Federal Hall should be the centrepiece of any upgrade next-door.

And similarly to how I've felt with the InterContinental on the Riverside Precinct, surely they could have explored ways to incorporate the land that the Hilton sits on so that the high-rise component seen here would exist but as far from the Market itself sitting instead on the corner of the block, especially considering the $400m price tag? Hell, I'm sure Hilton would have played along for a new premises.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Ben » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:45 pm

The Hilton don't own the land, but i'm unsure of who the owner is. No owner is going to knock down a perfectly good income source to replace it at massive cost for a similar level of income just to "beautify" an area. I would LOVE that building to be demolished and incorporated but the practicality is it won't happen as its two separate entities involved.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: [VIS] Re: Central Market

#63 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:50 pm

SRW wrote:
phenom wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm
"Last month, ACMA chair Nick Begakis told a council committee meeting the market would require extra financial assistance from the council during construction.
He said 260 fewer car parks would be available for customers during that period."
Sure, 260 fewer car parks out of how many in the surrounding area? Note I'm not anti-car at all but this idea in Adelaide that people demand to park just metres from anywhere they want to go is kind of ridiculous at this point. I get this is an ambit claim for compensation (well done Nick) but it speaks to a certain kind of complaint culture. Is he going to offer to pay extra to the council once the development is complete because of all the new business it will generate? Didn't think so.

Having lived in the south-west CBD for ~15 years, I'm very familiar with the ebb and flow of market peaks and I find that even when Sturt Street on-street parking is full, there's usually quite a few empty (free) spaces on Gilbert, not to mention free tram travel within the city and a large number of multi-story parking stations that are largely empty after about 5:30pm on weekdays. I find it hard to believe the market would be affected by this, since peak time for the market is usually outside of 'normal' business hours when surrounding multi-story carparks - and streets - aren't otherwise that busy.

Glad that indaily doesn't allow easy commenting as I imagine the cadre of AdelaideNow sounding regulars that used to comment on everything would be all over this development moaning about how they are going to kill the markets with a minor temporary reduction in car parks.
Not to mention, the Lord Mayor stated an equivalent amount of carparks will be made available at the old bus station across the road (presumably meaning the metro bus layover will relocate) during construction.
The Southlink bus layover has already been moved to Mile End for long layovers, and the Clarendon Street site for short layovers.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by noted » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:51 pm

I probably would have agreed with you Patrick if it had been a bulkier design but I love the look of the slimmer tower, and I think it is set back enough not to take away from Federal Hall.

I am always slightly sceptical of any development that relies on so much greenery as past experience shows they don't always come to fruition, but other than that I really like it.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by TorrensSA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I wonder if the "small format supermarket" will be a Coles Local, seems like the perfect location for one of Coles' new style stores.

Nathan

#66 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:25 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:17 pm
I'm neither here nor there on the tower elements. It's a nice design, but it would suit the location better if the Hilton site were also being redeveloped. Why the Hilton haven't sought to be involved stumps me -- they've got an opportunity to renew and retain their prime location.
There's nothing wrong with the Hilton building.

Nort

#67 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:25 pm
SRW wrote:
I'm neither here nor there on the tower elements. It's a nice design, but it would suit the location better if the Hilton site were also being redeveloped. Why the Hilton haven't sought to be involved stumps me -- they've got an opportunity to renew and retain their prime location.
There's nothing wrong with the Hilton building as random filler, the big problem with it has been that for so long it's been one of the most prominent buildings on Victoria Square. Luckily that is changing.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by ml69 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:25 pm
SRW wrote:
I’m pretty sure they’ll spruce it up in anticipation of increased desirability to stay in the area.

They’ll have the benefit of increased business, but not having to spend much money on capital improvements to achieve the increased revenue.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Doesn't someone from Malaysia own the building? Hilton only rent the building, they don't own it.

western
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#70 Post by western » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm

What an extraordinary development - ticks all the boxes for me. Now hoping it is not dumbed down - great looking design - 135meters - starting to get a few skyscrapers at last. Cant wait for this to start.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by citywatcher » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm

It will never happen

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:19 pm

citywatcher wrote:It will never happen

And why is that? Do you have some insider knowledge?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Central Market

#73 Post by citywatcher » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Norman wrote:
citywatcher wrote:It will never happen

And why is that? Do you have some insider knowledge?
None at all.
Would love to see it go ahead but I'm just skeptical going on track record .

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Howie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Norman wrote:Doesn't someone from Malaysia own the building? Hilton only rent the building, they don't own it.
Yep, last I heard it was the Chief Minister of Sarawak Taib Mammud.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by citywatcher » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Howie wrote:
Norman wrote:Doesn't someone from Malaysia own the building? Hilton only rent the building, they don't own it.
Yep, last I heard it was the Chief Minister of Sarawak Taib Mammud.
Lol
A govt minister of an Asian country owning millions in property
And we do business with them ! Image