[PRO] 80 Currie Street | 137m | 34 levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: 80 Currie Street | 137m | 34 levels | Office

#31 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:11 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm
If Adelaide is to have a central business district not just a central residential district, then some of the tall buildings need to have offices in them. Any new tall building is going to have more floor space than the building it replaced. For the business side of Adelaide to grow, it has to have developers with enough confidence (and finance) to build large office buildings that do not already have locked-in tenants before they start. Why would any large company want to announce that it will open a new large division/headquarters in Adelaide in five years time when it can have a small branch office in Adelaide and establish a large national headquarters in another state straight away?
Great logic, build new office buildings and business will come. Can see that working out really well.
It has been for Kyren over the past 15 years.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by CDJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:41 pm
Mate, if you look at the main buildings going up in Adelaide (Realm, the Adelaidean, Wingfold tower, Sofitel Hotel) none of them are office buildings.

If this building was to go ahead then surely they would need a commitment from a large company. BHP just moved into Franklin street and Santos built a new office about 10 years ago. None of the defence organisations are going to setup operations in the city. So please enlighten me which organisation is going to tennant this building ?

Walker corporation have been talking about a 27 office building next to the festival centre for about 10 years.
1) Interesting logic: "there are a lot of apartments being built, so it doesn't make sense to build anything else". Perhaps you could add rocket scientist to your growing list of potential careers! :hilarious:
2) I suspect the commercial team at C&G may have done some market research, but again feel free to contact them with your valuable advice which is no doubt based on significant relevant expertise and vast industry experience.
3) Walker's tower is now under construction - core pilecap was finished last week. They want to build a second tower. Not sure what your point is?

For some reason whenever I see your posts I picture a silver-haired Don Burke lookalike in a cardigan furiously mashing his keyboard with two index fingers. Either that or the "computer says no" travel agent from Little Britain. It always brightens my day to see your comical contribution to the forum - please do consider that Fringe show!

TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#33 Post by TheCrown1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:17 am

SBD wrote:
ghs wrote:
CDJ wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:53 am

GHS, have you considered offering your services to developers and builders around Adelaide? You seem to know a lot more than them. Of course there are all those times in the past where you turned out to be - how should I say it - 'wrong'.
It's always fun to hear a bit of your 'socks-and-sandals' comedy though - you could consider doing a Fringe show in 2020?
Mate, if you look at the main buildings going up in Adelaide (Realm, the Adelaidean, Wingfold tower, Sofitel Hotel) none of them are office buildings.

If this building was to go ahead then surely they would need a commitment from a large company. BHP just moved into Franklin street and Santos built a new office about 10 years ago. None of the defence organisations are going to setup operations in the city. So please enlighten me which organisation is going to tennant this building ?

Walker corporation have been talking about a 27 office building next to the festival centre for about 10 years.

Over to you, rev.
If Adelaide is to have a central business district not just a central residential district, then some of the tall buildings need to have offices in them. Any new tall building is going to have more floor space than the building it replaced. For the business side of Adelaide to grow, it has to have developers with enough confidence (and finance) to build large office buildings that do not already have locked-in tenants before they start. Why would any large company want to announce that it will open a new large division/headquarters in Adelaide in five years time when it can have a small branch office in Adelaide and establish a large national headquarters in another state straight away?
Even if apartment buildings outnumber office buildings, it is still a CBD if it is the main concentration of office buildings. Two thirds of Melbourne's skyscrapers are for residential purposes, making it more so a residential district under your notion - which isn't a bad thing. Australian cities are growing to be large neighbourhoods of such. Gone of the days of the ye old commercial centre that was dead at 5pm.

TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#34 Post by TheCrown1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 am

SBD wrote:
ghs wrote:
CDJ wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:53 am

GHS, have you considered offering your services to developers and builders around Adelaide? You seem to know a lot more than them. Of course there are all those times in the past where you turned out to be - how should I say it - 'wrong'.
It's always fun to hear a bit of your 'socks-and-sandals' comedy though - you could consider doing a Fringe show in 2020?

Over to you, rev.
Even if apartment buildings outnumber office buildings, it is still a CBD if it is the main concentration of office buildings. Two thirds of Melbourne's skyscrapers are for residential purposes, making it more so a residential district under your notion - which isn't a bad thing. Australian cities are growing to be large neighbourhoods of such. Gone of the days of the ye old commercial centre that was dead at 5pm.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[PRO] [PRO] Re: 80 Currie Street | 137m | 34 levels | Office

#35 Post by citywatcher » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Housing needs and density trends change over time
That's the real issue for me , what will happen with these buildings twenty, thirty , forty years from now.
They are generally not a good investment and many have been thrown up by developers looking for a quick killing.
A percentage remain unsold and there are strict guidelines for living in them and who they can be leased out to.

There are quite a few law suits flying around too which we don't hear about.

I looked at a few of them looking to buy but eventually decided I was better off in the suburbs financially speaking and it proved to be a wise decision.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#36 Post by rev » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Found this on reddit.
Anyone know if that old building was indeed covered up to what it is today?

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the additions and restore what once was? I reckon that the corner section especially would look good with a modern glass tower above it.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Apparently Sandy Wilkinson thinks it is and is largely intact - both inside and out.

However, looking at the old photo above, the ledges (not sure of the architectural term) protruded considerably beyond the red brick wall of the building behind, whereas the panelling is flush with this - so these at least look to have been removed.

If you look closely at Google Maps, it certainly does look like there is panelling attached to a much older building:

How much of it has actually survived is questionable. Remember the butchered mess that was behind the panelling installed over the old art deco building on Hindley Street where the Holiday Inn now stands?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Alyx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Here is a larger photograph of the building in its original state:

https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/reso ... G+67/14/27

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:22 pm
How much of it has actually survived is questionable.
I have also been inspecting the building on Streetview. This imagery dates from July 2017, and unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much left of the original facade:

Llessur2002

#39 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:53 pm

I think that brown layer behind the slats is still panelling - you can kind of see it in the picture I posted above, although it's not clear.

Either way, to get panelling attached that close to the building means that a lot of the stone embellishments would need to have been removed from the facade. Plus, whilst the windows behind the panelling look to be in the same positions as those on the heritage building, they seem to be a bit wider - suggesting that they've been hacked about a bit too.

My money's on what lies behind being too far gone to save easily.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by rogue » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am

Listed as estimated $50m build in this weeks Cordell report.

Nort

#41 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am

rogue wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am
That seems way too cheap.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 am

rogue wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am
What is a cordell report?

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by CDJ » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 pm

I would guess at least $150m construction cost, unless the floorplates are tiny and the quality is extremely low. Would expect $3000-3500/sqm construction cost.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by rogue » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 am
What is a cordell report?
Its a subscription service for building and construction info: https://www.corelogic.com.au/products/cordellconnect

EBG

#45 Post by EBG » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Another estimating service is
Rawlinsons Australian Construction Handbook

https://www.rawlhouse.com.au › publications › order-2019-australian-cons...

Such reference services list all types of construction materials and construction methods for all major capital cites .The prices are updated yearly or 6 monthly.