[VIS] New inner-city stadium

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 169 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#91 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

Build it over the railyards.

If it isn't worth the cost of building over that, then it isn't worth losing tens of thousands of square meters of park-lands green space for.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1071 times
Been thanked: 142 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#92 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am
Build it over the railyards.

If it isn't worth the cost of building over that, then it isn't worth losing tens of thousands of square meters of park-lands green space for.
What exactly do you want to be built over the railyards? A rectangular football stadium or an entertainment-style arena?

An entertainment arena that can stage court sports and also conventions, trade shows, etc., should be built opposite the Convention Centre on Morphett Street. A football stadium needs much more room. Hence the idea of the University Oval suggested by rev. I agree that we should not give up good green space. However if they want the best outcome this is a hard location to beat. We still have a lot of parklands that has not even been reclaimed. There's so much potential there for all sorts of parks. The south parklands for example, and I've said this many times, should be used to store water underground. House reservoirs that can be used to water all the parklands. A huge project that is worth looking into but will have long term beneficial effects. Just like any government now should be looking at assisting farmers state-wide in building dams and underground water storage pumped to the surface by solar or wind power. Water, energy and developments must go together FFS!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 169 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#93 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am
Build it over the railyards.

If it isn't worth the cost of building over that, then it isn't worth losing tens of thousands of square meters of park-lands green space for.
What exactly do you want to be built over the railyards? A rectangular football stadium or an entertainment-style arena?
Whatever is actually needed. In this thread the strange thing is that lots of people are starting with the assumption something needs to be built, and then trying to figure out what it would actually be useful for. Let's start with what needs aren't being met and work up from there.
We still have a lot of parklands that has not even been reclaimed. There's so much potential there for all sorts of parks. The south parklands for example, and I've said this many times, should be used to store water underground. House reservoirs that can be used to water all the parklands. A huge project that is worth looking into but will have long term beneficial effects. Just like any government now should be looking at assisting farmers state-wide in building dams and underground water storage pumped to the surface by solar or wind power. Water, energy and developments must go together FFS!

Cheers
I agree the parklands should be better looked after including extra watering, not sure if there is justification for that being through underwater tanks there or elsewhere (I thought more of the recycled water was going to be used than it seems to be).

When it comes to building speculative infrastructure I despair at the people saying we should spend hundreds of millions for reasons like it might help if there is an Australian world cup at some nebulous point in the future. If there is need for that infrastructure and a good business case then hell yeah get it done.

When we talk about spending so much money simply for a piece of prestige for an election campaign I do wonder what different and beneficial to the state things we could do with that. Plans like you suggest to water more of the parklands, green and landscape more (with some areas also made to more closely resemble their native state) are crucial parts of what I think is needed to make people think of the parklands as a standout feature of our city and not just unused space. They should be our Central Park. Our Hyde Park. Our Gardens By the Bay. Adventure playgrounds to beat what we have out at Saint Kilda. The backyard park for everyone who lives in and around the city.

We are never going to be Sydney or Melbourne, and while we shouldn't use that as an excuse to not compete directly with them where we can, we should also take advantage of what we do have to carve out a niche and do things to make Adelaide a better place to live.

Anyway, that's getting off topic sorry.

User avatar
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 167 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#94 Post by d3v310per » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Ignore my extremely poor photoshop skills, but would love to see a covered football stadium west of the Morphett Street bridge. Tons of room for an open plaza facing Morphett Street bridge and possibly other smaller venues. Build cost over the railway lines likely to be pricey but worth a dream! Coopers Stadium overlay is the same scale as background image.

Image

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 60 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#95 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm
Ignore my extremely poor photoshop skills, but would love to see a covered football stadium west of the Morphett Street bridge. Tons of room for an open plaza facing Morphett Street bridge and possibly other smaller venues. Build cost over the railway lines likely to be pricey but worth a dream! Coopers Stadium overlay is the same scale as background image.

Image
I'd rather that area be used for gardens. A soccer stadium would be best in Bonython Park.

User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#96 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:00 pm

That area including over the railway tracks, in my opinion should be reserved for a nice high rise building, it's a skyline changer that spot. The stadium does look good there though.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 169 times

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#97 Post by Nort » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm
d3v310per wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm
Ignore my extremely poor photoshop skills, but would love to see a covered football stadium west of the Morphett Street bridge. Tons of room for an open plaza facing Morphett Street bridge and possibly other smaller venues. Build cost over the railway lines likely to be pricey but worth a dream! Coopers Stadium overlay is the same scale as background image.

Image
I'd rather that area be used for gardens. A soccer stadium would be best in Bonython Park.
It's never going to be considered financially worthwhile to build over the rail lines just for a park, however public park space could be part of any stadium plan like this.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests