[VIS] New Concert Hall

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] New Concert Hall

#1 Post by PeFe » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm

It looks like the SA Liberal government is serious about building a new concert hall.

Location and size unknown. The previous proposal for Lot 14 has been withdrawn.

From In Daily
Planning begins for new Adelaide concert hall
ARTS & CULTURE
A long-awaited concert hall for Adelaide looks increasingly likely, as the State Government begins investigating overseas venues and consulting SA arts organisations as part of a strategy to be finalised by the end of this year.

Adelaide Symphony Orchestra playing at the Town Hall. Photo: Shane Reid
A new concert hall build was flagged in the State Government’s 2019-2024 Arts and Culture Plan, released in September, which recommended a new acoustic venue to serve as a home for the Adelaide Symphony and Youth orchestras, and act as a hub for music education in the state.

At the plan’s launch Premier and Arts Minister Steven Marshall said the Government supported the call “in-principle” and would consider developing a business case for a new venue.

An update published on the Department for Premier and Cabinet (DPC) website this month suggests that business case is going ahead, with the Government currently “in the early stages of scoping the strategic case for a concert hall (and) capturing learnings from interstate and overseas”.

A DPC spokesperson told InDaily this morning that the Government was “committed to undertaking a comprehensive analysis of the case for a new venue”.

The spokesperson said the cost for the scoping exercise was yet to be determined, but it aimed to finalise a “strategic assessment” before the end of this year, pending any delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The Department of the Premier and Cabinet is leading efforts to coordinate analysis of the case for a new venue,” the spokesperson said.

“Government will draw on appropriate external expertise and leverage the knowledge and skills of interested parties as work progresses.”

Adelaide Symphony Orchestra managing director Vince Ciccarello has long called for the State Government to invest in a concert hall, telling InDaily previously that the orchestra’s most regular performance venue, the Adelaide Town Hall, placed the ASO at a disadvantage as it had inadequate capacity and facilities.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor has also expressed interest in building a concert hall in the city, citing the Casa da Música music house in Porto, Portugal – a modern polygon-shaped building built in 2006 to house the Porto National Orchestra, the Baroque Orchestra and the Remix Ensemble – as inspiration.

An underground, three-level concert hall was once included in early plans for Lot Fourteen at the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site, but it has since been removed.

Other potential sites for a concert hall that have been flagged by local architects include Elder Park and Botanic Park.

The DPC spokesperson said the Government was yet to determine potential sites for a concert hall.

Asked which interstate and overseas venues were being investigated by the Department, the spokesperson said: “initial efforts looked broadly across the globe at typical usage and seating capacity of existing venues”.

“A short-list of venues is being developed for more detailed considerations but has not been finalised,” they said.

The Government has had “initial discussions” with the ASO, universities, the Adelaide Festival Centre Trust and the Music Development Office about the proposal.

“The aim is to engage as broadly as possible with parties who have interest in a new venue,” the DPC spokesperson said.

Ciccarello told InDaily this morning that he had “preliminary discussions” with the Government late last year to “articulate the basic dynamics that the ASO currently operates in, and the economic, artistic and logistical restraints that apply because of the lack of a concert hall”.

“I don’t think the official and formal work on the business case has commenced yet, but I do think that they’re doing a bit of fact-finding and gathering information as a way of preparing for that,” he said.

“I see it as a positive sign… but I’m very, very aware that there’s such a lot of work to still do and quite granular number crunching that needs to be done.

“It’s a first step on a long journey.”

Ciccarello said the ASO was “agnostic” and “flexible” about where it would like a concert hall to be built.

“We would not like the location of it to be a barrier to it, or the chances of it succeeding being totally dependent on the site,” he said.

“But it does make sense to me to try to create some sort of critical mass in and around the existing cultural assets – certainly the North Terrace cultural boulevard and more specifically the Adelaide Festival Centre and Riverbank does seem to be the most common-sense place for it to be.

“It would just create synergy with the other institutions that are around there.”

The ASO is also calling for the concert hall to be “much more than just a high-quality auditorium for classical and orchestral music”.

According to the update on the DPC website: “insights to date highlight that it’s (the proposed concert hall) not just about a new venue; it’s about the model and what it can support and bring for the community”.

Ciccarello said he would like the proposed venue to deliver music education and community services “to become a home of music in South Australia”.

“It should bring people from right across the community together in the spirit of music,” he said.

It comes after former State Theatre executive director Jodi Glass wrote to Infrastructure SA last year asking it to consider “a new home” for State Theatre and other performing arts companies “away from the Adelaide Festival Centre”.

Recently-appointed chair Joe Thorp has since distanced State Theatre’s new administration from the proposal, saying it was for “long-term planning” purposes and there were “currently no firm plans nor any budget bid”.

https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture ... cert-hall/

Patrick_27

Re: [VIS] New Concert Hall

#2 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:38 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm
It looks like the SA Liberal government is serious about building a new concert hall.

Location and size unknown. The previous proposal for Lot 14 has been withdrawn.

From In Daily
Planning begins for new Adelaide concert hall
ARTS & CULTURE
A long-awaited concert hall for Adelaide looks increasingly likely, as the State Government begins investigating overseas venues and consulting SA arts organisations as part of a strategy to be finalised by the end of this year.

Adelaide Symphony Orchestra playing at the Town Hall. Photo: Shane Reid
A new concert hall build was flagged in the State Government’s 2019-2024 Arts and Culture Plan, released in September, which recommended a new acoustic venue to serve as a home for the Adelaide Symphony and Youth orchestras, and act as a hub for music education in the state.

At the plan’s launch Premier and Arts Minister Steven Marshall said the Government supported the call “in-principle” and would consider developing a business case for a new venue.

An update published on the Department for Premier and Cabinet (DPC) website this month suggests that business case is going ahead, with the Government currently “in the early stages of scoping the strategic case for a concert hall (and) capturing learnings from interstate and overseas”.

A DPC spokesperson told InDaily this morning that the Government was “committed to undertaking a comprehensive analysis of the case for a new venue”.

The spokesperson said the cost for the scoping exercise was yet to be determined, but it aimed to finalise a “strategic assessment” before the end of this year, pending any delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The Department of the Premier and Cabinet is leading efforts to coordinate analysis of the case for a new venue,” the spokesperson said.

“Government will draw on appropriate external expertise and leverage the knowledge and skills of interested parties as work progresses.”

Adelaide Symphony Orchestra managing director Vince Ciccarello has long called for the State Government to invest in a concert hall, telling InDaily previously that the orchestra’s most regular performance venue, the Adelaide Town Hall, placed the ASO at a disadvantage as it had inadequate capacity and facilities.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor has also expressed interest in building a concert hall in the city, citing the Casa da Música music house in Porto, Portugal – a modern polygon-shaped building built in 2006 to house the Porto National Orchestra, the Baroque Orchestra and the Remix Ensemble – as inspiration.

An underground, three-level concert hall was once included in early plans for Lot Fourteen at the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site, but it has since been removed.

Other potential sites for a concert hall that have been flagged by local architects include Elder Park and Botanic Park.

The DPC spokesperson said the Government was yet to determine potential sites for a concert hall.

Asked which interstate and overseas venues were being investigated by the Department, the spokesperson said: “initial efforts looked broadly across the globe at typical usage and seating capacity of existing venues”.

“A short-list of venues is being developed for more detailed considerations but has not been finalised,” they said.

The Government has had “initial discussions” with the ASO, universities, the Adelaide Festival Centre Trust and the Music Development Office about the proposal.

“The aim is to engage as broadly as possible with parties who have interest in a new venue,” the DPC spokesperson said.

Ciccarello told InDaily this morning that he had “preliminary discussions” with the Government late last year to “articulate the basic dynamics that the ASO currently operates in, and the economic, artistic and logistical restraints that apply because of the lack of a concert hall”.

“I don’t think the official and formal work on the business case has commenced yet, but I do think that they’re doing a bit of fact-finding and gathering information as a way of preparing for that,” he said.

“I see it as a positive sign… but I’m very, very aware that there’s such a lot of work to still do and quite granular number crunching that needs to be done.

“It’s a first step on a long journey.”

Ciccarello said the ASO was “agnostic” and “flexible” about where it would like a concert hall to be built.

“We would not like the location of it to be a barrier to it, or the chances of it succeeding being totally dependent on the site,” he said.

“But it does make sense to me to try to create some sort of critical mass in and around the existing cultural assets – certainly the North Terrace cultural boulevard and more specifically the Adelaide Festival Centre and Riverbank does seem to be the most common-sense place for it to be.

“It would just create synergy with the other institutions that are around there.”

The ASO is also calling for the concert hall to be “much more than just a high-quality auditorium for classical and orchestral music”.

According to the update on the DPC website: “insights to date highlight that it’s (the proposed concert hall) not just about a new venue; it’s about the model and what it can support and bring for the community”.

Ciccarello said he would like the proposed venue to deliver music education and community services “to become a home of music in South Australia”.

“It should bring people from right across the community together in the spirit of music,” he said.

It comes after former State Theatre executive director Jodi Glass wrote to Infrastructure SA last year asking it to consider “a new home” for State Theatre and other performing arts companies “away from the Adelaide Festival Centre”.

Recently-appointed chair Joe Thorp has since distanced State Theatre’s new administration from the proposal, saying it was for “long-term planning” purposes and there were “currently no firm plans nor any budget bid”.

https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture ... cert-hall/
Not sure where InDaily are getting their info from, Elder Park and Botanic Park were never being considered by the ASO for the site of a new concert hall? Maybe an outdoor amphitheatre, but not a concert hall.

I'm still of the opinion that the best location for this proposal is the site of the Adelaide Festival Plaza, like the Arts Centre Melbourne and Hamer Hall keeping everything of this nature within close proximity (this would ensure more people travelling through this area). If not there, their extensive proposal to convert the Sir Samuel Way building into a 2,000-seat concert hall with smaller recital spaces also available was impressive and should be considered.

I don't think an outdoor amphitheatre should be written off either, if it is being considered. I would love to see something like this tucked away behind the Aboriginal Cultural Gallery (when it's eventually built) as part of the Botanic Garden, doesn't need to be as big as the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, but something with a capacity of 10,000-14,000 capacity would be neat, could provide a new type of revenue stream for the Botanic Garden and be especially useful during the Fringe/Adelaide Festival period

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by floplo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:44 am

How about the LeCornu site? ACC isn't getting anywhere with anything, state gov already subsidized the purchase by 10m so they could take over the whole thing cheaper, and then build a concert hall there (add some housing, shopping & parking to finance it).

Or the parade ground, a concert hall would be a massive improvement over a parking lot.....

ChillyPhilly

#4 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 am

88 O'Connell in North Adelaide (former Le Cornu site) would be a good option and can bring some much needed vitality to the area. In addition, it would build a case for a northward tram extension.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:28 pm

What kind of seating capacity would be required for a concert hall in Adelaide?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:28 pm
What kind of seating capacity would be required for a concert hall in Adelaide?
I would say absolute upper range of 1,800 but probably more feasibly around 1,200-1,600.

As for location, proximity to Adelaide Festival Centre or Her Maj are crucial IMO, with my preference being for the former. I suggest three possible locations in the festival precinct: on the site of the Centre's banquet room on the King William Rd edge of Elder Park; in place of Walker Corp's development on the Parliament edge of the plaza; or, next to the Railway Station on North Terrace either on the hotel forecourt or in place of the Riverside Centre offices.
Keep Adelaide Weird

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by floplo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:47 pm

SRW wrote:
As for location, proximity to Adelaide Festival Centre or Her Maj are crucial IMO, with my preference being for the former .
I'm curious, why is that proximity to either of them essential?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm

floplo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:47 pm
SRW wrote:
As for location, proximity to Adelaide Festival Centre or Her Maj are crucial IMO, with my preference being for the former .

Simply, critical mass. As the organisations themselves argue, colocation provides synergy, allowing different assets to leveraged. There's also something to be said for creating the energy of theatre precinct. The advantage of adding a concert hall to the pre-eminent facilities of AFC is that it also aligns with the overall objectives of the riverbank precinct -- boosting tourism and supporting restaurants/bars in the area (e.g. the dinner & a show set).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 am

I've always believed if the Womens and Childrens Hospital was to be moved, the empty site of where it currently is could be a great location - It can piggy back off the ovals connection to the Entertainment plaza with the footbridge, it would have tram accessibility and overall, Adelaide's entertainment precinct would spread to both sides of the river, while remaining reasonably central to one another.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by ml69 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm
floplo wrote:
SRW wrote:

Simply, critical mass. As the organisations themselves argue, colocation provides synergy, allowing different assets to leveraged. There's also something to be said for creating the energy of theatre precinct. The advantage of adding a concert hall to the pre-eminent facilities of AFC is that it also aligns with the overall objectives of the riverbank precinct -- boosting tourism and supporting restaurants/bars in the area (e.g. the dinner & a show set).
Spot on. The banquet room of the AFC is the perfect location for a Concert Hall. A highly visible site with convenient access to restaurant/bars etc

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 pm

ml69 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm
floplo wrote:

Spot on. The banquet room of the AFC is the perfect location for a Concert Hall. A highly visible site with convenient access to restaurant/bars etc
Aesthetically, a third geometric shell for the AFC would fit right in on the riverfront (but could be clad in glass/copper/zinc or something other than white tin). It could also serve as a new entrance and face to King William Road (and adjacent tram stop). Hope the powers that be have it under consideration.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#12 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm

ml69 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm
Please tell me you're joking? The banquet room site wouldn't even be big enough for a small/medium size recital hall let alone a concert hall.

Patrick_27

#13 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 pm
Aesthetically, a third geometric shell for the AFC would fit right in on the riverfront (but could be clad in glass/copper/zinc or something other than white tin). It could also serve as a new entrance and face to King William Road (and adjacent tram stop). Hope the powers that be have it under consideration.
I agree with a third geometric shell, but I can't understand the reasoning or appeal with building on Elder Park (well kept, centrally located OPEN SPACE)? When you have a a blank canvas about on the southern side of the centre (at this stage destined to be merely cafes and restaurants). Elder Park is very useful in its current form, why change that? Whereas what's to say that a new public plaza is going to be a success?

That's not to say don't have cafes and restaurants or even a plaza, but just be practical in sizing up what's needed vs what's not.

Excuse the shitness of my diagram below but this is what I've always seen for this area... Perhaps without the plaza even. But a concert hall, with an alleyway of cafes, bars and restaurants which separates the centre from Parliament House, a larger foyer/more function or performance spaces on the front. And I've included the office building even though I'm against that part of the plaza proposal just to show that it could still be achieved. Obviously it's not to scale but you get an idea of how it could work.
Attachments
JCy3Gfw (1).jpg

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm
SRW wrote:
I agree with a third geometric shell, but I can't understand the reasoning or appeal with building on Elder Park (well kept, centrally located OPEN SPACE)? When you have a a blank canvas about on the southern side of the centre (at this stage destined to be merely cafes and restaurants). Elder Park is very useful in its current form, why change that? Whereas what's to say that a new public plaza is going to be a success?

That's not to say don't have cafes and restaurants or even a plaza, but just be practical in sizing up what's needed vs what's not.

Excuse the shitness of my diagram below but this is what I've always seen for this area... Perhaps without the plaza even. But a concert hall, with an alleyway of cafes, bars and restaurants which separates the centre from Parliament House, a larger foyer/more function or performance spaces on the front. And I've included the office building even though I'm against that part of the plaza proposal just to show that it could still be achieved. Obviously it's not to scale but you get an idea of how it could work.
I'm not suggesting building on Elder Park, although I concede a small portion of open space might need to be excised at its edge (potentially compensated through reconfiguration of the former amphitheatre area or relocation of the rowing sheds). I still think it's achievable to locate above the north east section of the AFC (centred on the banquet room, which I've used for shorthand). Failing feasibility, I've also suggested North Terrace adjacent the railway station or the southern edge of the plaza. I don't think, however, we should build in the centre of the plaza, as that compounds the crowding and loss of vista that the Casino extension and forthcoming tower will inflict. Not to mention, by nature, such buildings are rarely activated on all sides so it would be hard to achieve the laneway culture I think you envisage as opposed to soulless passageways.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ml69
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by ml69 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm
SRW wrote:

I completely disagree. This will ruin the view of the Festival Theatre from King William St and close off all open space for the plaza. Dreadful location.