[CAN] 100 Grote Street | 56m | 15lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN] Re: #Proposed: 100 Grote st - Hotel - 15 floors - 56m

#91 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 pm

bmw boy wrote:Is it just me... or does that area seem alittle small for a hotel?
In this thread there are plans and it doesn't look that small. Remember it is 15 floors and it was for a particular hotel chain.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

urban
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by urban » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:54 pm

I really hope this one gets redesigned or scrapped. The current proposal would be a blight amongst the precinct development.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN] Re: #ON HOLD: 100 Grote st - Hotel - 15 floors - 56m

#93 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:27 pm

I believe the site is perfect for a hotel. However I do agree the design needs to be refined - which I am sure will happen in time.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by bmw boy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:48 pm

Ho Really wrote:
bmw boy wrote:Is it just me... or does that area seem alittle small for a hotel?
In this thread there are plans and it doesn't look that small. Remember it is 15 floors and it was for a particular hotel chain.

Cheers
I meant in regard to the size of the area it will be built on. Or are they stiull planning to put it on stilts lol?

rhino

#95 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:47 am

bmw boy wrote: Or are they stiull planning to put it on stilts lol?
I was under the impression that the front half of it was going to be on stilts, built over the church. Of course that was just my impression.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#96 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 am

bmw boy wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
I meant in regard to the size of the area it will be built on. Or are they stiull planning to put it on stilts lol?
In the images submitted by Done there weren't any stilts.

Cheers

skyliner

#97 Post by skyliner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:21 am

Really! Just as well - Adelaide is on a fault line - last active in 1954 - damaged 50000 buildings.Nearly bought one such house until enlightened on the matter.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by stelaras » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:32 am

skyliner wrote:Really! Just as well - Adelaide is on a fault line - last active in 1954 - damaged 50000 buildings.Nearly bought one such house until enlightened on the matter.

many homes and buildings in earthquake prone regions of the world are built on "stilts" and do not fall down during an earthquake. Obviously if this was approved and built appropriate measures would be taken to "earthquake proof" the building.

The fault line that you talk about is only a minor fault line...The only reason why there was significant damage in 1954 was because homes and buildings built in that era and before were not earthquake proof..Most modern designs in adelaide take this into account, even though Adelaide doesn't really rate highly in terms of cities that can potentially be flattened by an earthquake!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by AG » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Most buildings that were constructed prior to the 1950s were constructed using stone and masonry, materials that are inflexible and crack easily when pressure is applied in a certain way. Most modern constructions consist of steel or timber, materials which are rigid enough to stand up in an earthquake but flexible enough to stay in one piece.

skyliner

#100 Post by skyliner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 pm

stelaras wrote: skyliner wrote:Really! Just as well - Adelaide is on a fault line - last active in 1954 - damaged 50000 buildings.Nearly bought one such house until enlightened on the matter.

many homes and buildings in earthquake prone regions of the world are built on "stilts" and do not fall down during an earthquake. Obviously if this was approved and built appropriate measures would be taken to "earthquake proof" the building.

The fault line that you talk about is only a minor fault line...The only reason why there was significant damage in 1954 was because homes and buildings built in that era and before were not earthquake proof..Most modern designs in adelaide take this into account, even though Adelaide doesn't really rate highly in terms of cities that can potentially be flattened by an earthquake!
Thanking you for your learned input stelaris. Iron sharpens iron,

I admit I was being somewhat sarcastic and should not have been.

! realise that most buildings were masonry pre 1954. (As AG said). Still a lot around that could be damaged on the residential front. Many of our CBD buildings are the same. I realise that on the grand scheme of things that the fault is a minor fracture - but large enough to rate the most damage ever to any Australin place. I forget the Richter reading now - I think it was under 6. I have seen maps of all related fault lines in the Adelaide metro area and found 10 - 15 in the southern suburbs - Flinders Hospital and Darlington straddling one that goes to Hallett Cove.

Notwithstanding all of this, being in QLD I read with QLD glasses on re the stilts. I take your point that current building designs wouldshould take ground instability into account.

Jack.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:19 pm

This one has been officially refused by ACC on 04/01/08. The developer failed to provide the required additional information by the required due date. I would guess they decided to give up. The site has a heritage listing and the Development Plan specifies the retention of the current height for this entire site, so the chances of it being successful weren't too high.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#102 Post by Edgar » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 am

that's sad news.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Ho Really

#103 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 pm

UrbanSG wrote:...The site has a heritage listing and the Development Plan specifies the retention of the current height for this entire site, so the chances of it being successful weren't too high.
Is the whole site heritage listed (including the rear of the church), and is the heritage listing the (only) reason why this site has height limits? Curious.

Cheers

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by JamesXander » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Damn it. This building looked so flash.

Jeez, way to ruin my day ACC.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by AtD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:47 pm

JamesXander wrote:Damn it. This building looked so flash.

Jeez, way to ruin my day ACC.
It wasn't the ACC, it was the developer that killed it.