News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1741 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Ben wrote:
A QT apartment and hotel complex with 8 screen cinema complex.
What the......... Source???? :)

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1742 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 pm

crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:
When will cinema chains learn? A commercial cinema in Adelaide's CBD will only work in Rundle Mall or the east end (which there already is one there, obviously). That end of Hindley Street has nothing going for a cinema, which I'm sure this is why the governkent ditched the cinema proposal for the Riverbank precinct, no money in the area. Rundle Mall has the traders both in the day and evening as well as parking all around, Rundle Street has the apartments (residents), restaurants and cafes.

Idea: new owner for the MYER, negotiate a re-fit of the upper two/three floors and put cinemas up there. Works for Brisbanes Myer Centre, could definitely work for Adelaide's. Otherwise, I'd have said cinemas would have worked well in the Rundle.Place development or the Renaisance building.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1743 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:17 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:
When will cinema chains learn? A commercial cinema in Adelaide's CBD will only work in Rundle Mall or the east end (which there already is one there, obviously). That end of Hindley Street has nothing going for a cinema, which I'm sure this is why the governkent ditched the cinema proposal for the Riverbank precinct, no money in the area. Rundle Mall has the traders both in the day and evening as well as parking all around, Rundle Street has the apartments (residents), restaurants and cafes.

Idea: new owner for the MYER, negotiate a re-fit of the upper two/three floors and put cinemas up there. Works for Brisbanes Myer Centre, could definitely work for Adelaide's. Otherwise, I'd have said cinemas would have worked well in the Rundle.Place development or the Renaisance building.
Previously it was a bad location, but now with the huge amount of investment and activity happening in the West End, the location is now fast becoming one of the best in the city... stones throw away from the Medical Precinct, Adelaide Oval, Riverbank Precinct etc. It's even in the vicinity of the planned Sofitel and Holiday Inn hotels.

The owners need to learn from the former mistakes, bulldoze the whole thing and replace it with something far far better (potentially this rumoured proposal). Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what your saying, but a cinema on Hindley Street could be successful if it's planned right.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1744 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:42 am

crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:
That was a bit mean of me. I had been looking through their ASX announcements and that is the theme of their current and upcoming developments so that's just what I would guess based on that. Time will tell.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1745 Post by crawf » Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am

Ben wrote:
crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:
That was a bit mean of me. I had been looking through their ASX announcements and that is the theme of their current and upcoming developments so that's just what I would guess based on that. Time will tell.
*slap*

:oops:

Llessur2002

#1746 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:37 pm

A sad situation and I hope all works out for the current operators...
Rhino Room endangered as land goes up for sale

Adelaide music and comedy venue Rhino Room and adjoining cafe and arts spaces The Howling Owl and Urban Cow Studio face potential closure following the sale of the land by the University of Adelaide.

The Frome St site, which includes the adjacent Wilson car park and the Eckersley building, was put up for sale in March along with the Gerard & Goodman building on Synagogue Place. The 4,157 square metre site is being offered to buyers as a whole or as three individual parcels, following a “significant review of assets not delivering optimum benefit to the University,” according to a University of Adelaide spokesperson.

The sale would be a massive blow to the Adelaide comedy, music and art scenes, which have been supported by both Rhino Room and Urban Cow Studio for 20 years. Urban Cow regularly holds exhibitions for local artists in their upstairs gallery space while Rhino Room has long been synonymous with Adelaide comedy, headed by Craig Egan, and the Adelaide Fringe while hosting a regular roster of DJs and both local and touring bands. The Howling Owl, the building’s newest resident, has been a significant addition to the strip with the offer of both day and night trading.

Owner and operator of the three venues Mick Krieg has been a tenant of the 1850s building for over 20 years. Krieg tells Rip It Up he was not offered the chance to purchase the property before the site went on the market. “We saw this coming 6-12 months ago when they weren’t accepting a new lease off us, then I saw surveyors out the back in January and they still hadn’t told us anything,” Krieg explains. “And I put a question to them, asking if we should put a bid in to the building, and at that point they let us know it was going up for sale. Within a few weeks the for sale sign went up.”

A University of Adelaide spokesperson says the sale was opened to the public in March to ensure “transparency” and “equity”. “The property…was released for sale by expression of interest to the general market to ensure maximum transparency and equity in the process. Staff and external tenants, including the lessee of the Rhino Room, were informed of the forthcoming sale in early February following an asset review in 2014.”

The land that currently sits the three-venue, two-level building comes as a package deal with the adjacent eight-level car park. Krieg says he would like to see the sites divided and boundaries re-drawn so he can continue operating his three venues. “It would be great for the university to give us the opportunity to purchase our corner of the property. It still gives them the opportunity to develop the rest of the site,” he says.

“We’re right on the corner of the site, so it would change very little, the value that they would get for the land. The developer could easily develop…the Gerard Goodman and Eckersley sites and keep the car park and we could purchase our site and continue on doing what we’ve been doing. We’re not looking for any sort of charity, we’re just looking for the opportunity to buy it off them. To exclude us from having the opportunity of purchasing that portion is quite distressing. Their aim is to sell the whole block as one piece. Eventually, I imagine, they’d be looking at knocking the building down, which is so sad in itself considering the Urban Cow side was built around 1858.”

Krieg says he would like to continue operating his three venues, whether on their current site or elsewhere, but locality is a significant factor. “Obviously we wouldn’t want it to go down that track,” he says. “I’d like to continue all three of them. The difficulty is, I doubt I would find something that would house all three. And trying to run businesses in separate locations is that much more difficult. The Howling Owl is very much dependent on the location, because it’s frequented by the university and hospital staff greatly, so it would really depend on what became available. We’re hoping to continue at the current site for a long time into the future.”

Expressions of interest for the land close on Tuesday, May 12.
http://ripitup.com.au/music/rhino-room- ... UmuLGMnitu

Nathan

#1747 Post by Nathan » Wed May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I'd like to add that the Gerard & Goodman building is also worth retaining, and hopefully any potential buyers of that parcel are interested in adaptive reuse rather than wholesale redevelopment.

[Shuz]

#1748 Post by [Shuz] » Wed May 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I thought this was the parcel of land that was earmarked for the proposed Rundle Street residential apartment towers project - which was mentioned about a month or so ago, but no renders supplied?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#1749 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:A sad situation and I hope all works out for the current operators...
Rhino Room endangered as land goes up for sale

Adelaide music and comedy venue Rhino Room and adjoining cafe and arts spaces The Howling Owl and Urban Cow Studio face potential closure following the sale of the land by the University of Adelaide.

The Frome St site, which includes the adjacent Wilson car park and the Eckersley building, was put up for sale in March along with the Gerard & Goodman building on Synagogue Place. The 4,157 square metre site is being offered to buyers as a whole or as three individual parcels, following a “significant review of assets not delivering optimum benefit to the University,” according to a University of Adelaide spokesperson.

The sale would be a massive blow to the Adelaide comedy, music and art scenes, which have been supported by both Rhino Room and Urban Cow Studio for 20 years. Urban Cow regularly holds exhibitions for local artists in their upstairs gallery space while Rhino Room has long been synonymous with Adelaide comedy, headed by Craig Egan, and the Adelaide Fringe while hosting a regular roster of DJs and both local and touring bands. The Howling Owl, the building’s newest resident, has been a significant addition to the strip with the offer of both day and night trading.

Owner and operator of the three venues Mick Krieg has been a tenant of the 1850s building for over 20 years. Krieg tells Rip It Up he was not offered the chance to purchase the property before the site went on the market. “We saw this coming 6-12 months ago when they weren’t accepting a new lease off us, then I saw surveyors out the back in January and they still hadn’t told us anything,” Krieg explains. “And I put a question to them, asking if we should put a bid in to the building, and at that point they let us know it was going up for sale. Within a few weeks the for sale sign went up.”

A University of Adelaide spokesperson says the sale was opened to the public in March to ensure “transparency” and “equity”. “The property…was released for sale by expression of interest to the general market to ensure maximum transparency and equity in the process. Staff and external tenants, including the lessee of the Rhino Room, were informed of the forthcoming sale in early February following an asset review in 2014.”

The land that currently sits the three-venue, two-level building comes as a package deal with the adjacent eight-level car park. Krieg says he would like to see the sites divided and boundaries re-drawn so he can continue operating his three venues. “It would be great for the university to give us the opportunity to purchase our corner of the property. It still gives them the opportunity to develop the rest of the site,” he says.

“We’re right on the corner of the site, so it would change very little, the value that they would get for the land. The developer could easily develop…the Gerard Goodman and Eckersley sites and keep the car park and we could purchase our site and continue on doing what we’ve been doing. We’re not looking for any sort of charity, we’re just looking for the opportunity to buy it off them. To exclude us from having the opportunity of purchasing that portion is quite distressing. Their aim is to sell the whole block as one piece. Eventually, I imagine, they’d be looking at knocking the building down, which is so sad in itself considering the Urban Cow side was built around 1858.”

Krieg says he would like to continue operating his three venues, whether on their current site or elsewhere, but locality is a significant factor. “Obviously we wouldn’t want it to go down that track,” he says. “I’d like to continue all three of them. The difficulty is, I doubt I would find something that would house all three. And trying to run businesses in separate locations is that much more difficult. The Howling Owl is very much dependent on the location, because it’s frequented by the university and hospital staff greatly, so it would really depend on what became available. We’re hoping to continue at the current site for a long time into the future.”

Expressions of interest for the land close on Tuesday, May 12.
http://ripitup.com.au/music/rhino-room- ... UmuLGMnitu
The state government need to follow the same path as the Victorian government and start taking live music/entertainment seriously. HQ seemingly will go and developers will no doubt move in, already there is the loss of a major state music venue which bring in international acts. With the closure of Crab Shack and eventual closure of Little Miss Miami, that site will be turned into a 14 story apartment building which will wrap around the Crown and Anchor leaving the question of how they will host live music events with the expected noise complaints. And now with the sale of this site, any potential buyer will pay no attention to the pre-existing Rhino Room, or the fact that the building is actually old enough for state heritage listing. Surely the least the government could do is make it compulsory for developers building apartments nearby live music venues to provide finance for those venues to soundproof their band-rooms - after all, their development is encroaching on territory of these pre-existing venues not the other way around.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1750 Post by dsriggs » Mon May 11, 2015 12:39 am

I wonder what you guys think of this:

:wallbash:

[Shuz]

#1751 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 am

1 like, 5 dislikes. (At the time of posting).

Says it all really.

The APPA need to go back into their caves where they belong.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1752 Post by Ben » Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 am

I think their heart is in the right place. I must say watching that video made me a bit sad about all the development on North terrace that is happening. It is fantastic don't get me wrong but they could have done it in the CBD proper but that would've been too hard when you have vacant land just sitting there. I hope the government one day will cover the train line and extend the parklands over it.

Nathan

#1753 Post by Nathan » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 am

Wait, are they really counting things like the Anzac Hwy netball courts, Veale Gardens, and the Adelaide Bowling Club as "development"? :|

Facilities that support parkland activities are very different than development that could otherwise be located within the city. Should we be removing toilet blocks and car parking? What about bridges over creeks?

Llessur2002

#1754 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:31 am

Ben wrote:I hope the government one day will cover the train line and extend the parklands over it.
As long as they put something in it to entice people in and not create a pretty but largely empty space in a prime CBD area. It would have to be something unique as with Bonython park just round the corner with its kiosk, play equipment, toilets etc there's not much benefit in just duplicating what already exists. Something along the lines of the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne's Kings Domain Gardens or just something different to open empty parkland...

Nathan

#1755 Post by Nathan » Mon May 11, 2015 10:16 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Ben wrote:I hope the government one day will cover the train line and extend the parklands over it.
As long as they put something in it to entice people in and not create a pretty but largely empty space in a prime CBD area. It would have to be something unique as with Bonython park just round the corner with its kiosk, play equipment, toilets etc there's not much benefit in just duplicating what already exists. Something along the lines of the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne's Kings Domain Gardens or just something different to open empty parkland...
I think that area should be designated as "active play". Put the new skate park there, city beach (if the council still wants to move it), relocated rowing sheds, outdoor pool, jogging start/end facilities etc. Complimenting the existing rowing sheds, par 3 golf course and tennis courts. It would have a logical connection with the health precinct, and bridges well between the more passive entertainment between Morphett St and KWS, and Bonython Park.

They've recently been doing a bit of work immediately to the north of the rail lines, but it's just a lawn with a bit of planting around it. No attempt to integrate of connect it with the slither of linear park along the river (there's a steep embankment and fencing separating them).