News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1756 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:26 am

Sounds good to me - I think the parklands should be thought of more as 'outdoor multi-purpose recreational areas' rather than just 'parklands'. Agree no houses should be built on them, no industrial units, no commercial enterprises (although a few kiosks etc wouldn't be out of place) but anything else should at least be considered - especially if it is of a sports/fitness or public entertainment-based nature.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1757 Post by Ben » Tue May 12, 2015 11:21 am

Also posted in CBD retail as unsure where this belongs.

will be open until 10pm 7 days a week.

Very curious as to what this will be like but sounds like something great for the CBD.

http://adelaide.escapehunt.com/
Type
Application Assessed on Merit

Application Number
DA/290/2015

Lodgement Date
5/5/2015

Latest Decision

Location Level 2 133 Rundle Mall, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description Change of use to amusement venue on Levels 2 & 3 Including signage with external alterations access to Twin Street.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#1758 Post by Smithy85 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Is it a bit concerning that there has only been 2 developments before DAC for the cbd in 2 months? Or is that closer to normal?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1759 Post by Mants » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 pm

I have heard on the grapevine that two private hospitals are considering amalgamating their services at a new premesis near the new RAH.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1760 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:24 pm

crawf wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
When will cinema chains learn? A commercial cinema in Adelaide's CBD will only work in Rundle Mall or the east end (which there already is one there, obviously). That end of Hindley Street has nothing going for a cinema, which I'm sure this is why the governkent ditched the cinema proposal for the Riverbank precinct, no money in the area. Rundle Mall has the traders both in the day and evening as well as parking all around, Rundle Street has the apartments (residents), restaurants and cafes.

Idea: new owner for the MYER, negotiate a re-fit of the upper two/three floors and put cinemas up there. Works for Brisbanes Myer Centre, could definitely work for Adelaide's. Otherwise, I'd have said cinemas would have worked well in the Rundle.Place development or the Renaisance building.
Previously it was a bad location, but now with the huge amount of investment and activity happening in the West End, the location is now fast becoming one of the best in the city... stones throw away from the Medical Precinct, Adelaide Oval, Riverbank Precinct etc. It's even in the vicinity of the planned Sofitel and Holiday Inn hotels.

The owners need to learn from the former mistakes, bulldoze the whole thing and replace it with something far far better (potentially this rumoured proposal). Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what your saying, but a cinema on Hindley Street could be successful if it's planned right.
From what I heard this morning, they are definitely putting cinemas back in the building as is. Given it's location, unless they are planning something spectacular with the complex, I cannot see the site being any more successful than last time.

For now, the site is now vacant as the church had their last service in the building today.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1761 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:11 am

Agree no houses should be built on them
Too late, Llessur. I've been asked to work on some layouts for apartments for sale in the old RAH.

I wonder what sort of titles the government will be able to give? 99 year leases as in the UK?

Waewick

#1762 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:19 am

stumpjumper wrote:
Agree no houses should be built on them
Too late, Llessur. I've been asked to work on some layouts for apartments for sale in the old RAH.

I wonder what sort of titles the government will be able to give? 99 year leases as in the UK?
deplorable.

if only we had someone to hold this government to account.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1763 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Kintore Avenue redevelopment is now up for public consultation.
Consent to undertake the demolition of an existing perimeter fence and internal wall (eastern side) and caretakers cottage within Government House, construct a new wall and fence along an amended alignment (including a change of land use to public thoroughfare), with associated tree damaging activities (removal and/or pruning of regulated trees), and the installation of paving, landscaping, public lighting, artwork, security gate and signage.
http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... notice.pdf

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1764 Post by Wayno » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:37 pm

The alley next to The Stag has some stonemasonry happening. The same building faces onto Varden Ave and is getting a makeover there too. Looks nice inside & out.

Anyone know what's opening up?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#1765 Post by Nathan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Whisk(e)y bar. Pretty sure it's been covered in another thread.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1766 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Just plonking this here for the moment. Unsure if it deserves its own thread:

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7452046969
A NEW state-of the art function centre, club rooms and pavilion is set to be built in the western Parklands as part of an $8 million SACA plan.

The South Australian Cricket Association, in exchange for another long-term lease, would redevelop Park 25, next to West Tce and Glover Ave.

SACA’s general manager of cricket operations Shane Bernhardt said they were “focused on increasing the number of women who play the game” so wanted to replace changerooms and built clubrooms to better accommodate more teams.

“The (Changerooms) must be about 80 years old and they just aren’t up to the standard that is required for our players and volunteers,” he said.

The fields would also be upgraded, with some moved slightly, to accommodate the new change room building, pavilion, underground car park and function centre.

The redeveloped centre would have a smaller footprint on the Parklands than the current set up.

“We often hold cricket carnivals there but at the moment our end-of-carnival functions, where we hand out trophies, is basically having a barbecue under a tree,” Mr Bernhardt said.

“A lot of players (competing in the carnivals) come from country areas so we want to have somewhere to have a function that is on site.”

It is part of a masterplan for the South and West Parklands to turn them into sports hubs but has not been approved by the Adelaide City Council.

The fields would continue to be used for lacrosse and football in the winter.

The council’s recreation planner Ray Scheuboeck said the redevelopment of Park 25 would provide better-quality sports facilities and save ratepayers a lot of money.

“Partnering with external organisations is a good way to deliver better sports facilities and to make sure they are what is needed for those particular sports,” he said.

Mr Scheuboeck said the area could also become the new home of beach volleyball in the city but the cost of those facilities would not be paid for by SACA.

“That is one of the options we are considering because City Beach is currently on council-owned land in the city but (the plan) has not yet been approved,” he said.

The proposal will be shown to councillors next month.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Patrick_27

#1767 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:38 am

Wayno wrote:Just plonking this here for the moment. Unsure if it deserves its own thread:

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7452046969
A NEW state-of the art function centre, club rooms and pavilion is set to be built in the western Parklands as part of an $8 million SACA plan.

The South Australian Cricket Association, in exchange for another long-term lease, would redevelop Park 25, next to West Tce and Glover Ave.

SACA’s general manager of cricket operations Shane Bernhardt said they were “focused on increasing the number of women who play the game” so wanted to replace changerooms and built clubrooms to better accommodate more teams.

“The (Changerooms) must be about 80 years old and they just aren’t up to the standard that is required for our players and volunteers,” he said.

The fields would also be upgraded, with some moved slightly, to accommodate the new change room building, pavilion, underground car park and function centre.

The redeveloped centre would have a smaller footprint on the Parklands than the current set up.

“We often hold cricket carnivals there but at the moment our end-of-carnival functions, where we hand out trophies, is basically having a barbecue under a tree,” Mr Bernhardt said.

“A lot of players (competing in the carnivals) come from country areas so we want to have somewhere to have a function that is on site.”

It is part of a masterplan for the South and West Parklands to turn them into sports hubs but has not been approved by the Adelaide City Council.

The fields would continue to be used for lacrosse and football in the winter.

The council’s recreation planner Ray Scheuboeck said the redevelopment of Park 25 would provide better-quality sports facilities and save ratepayers a lot of money.

“Partnering with external organisations is a good way to deliver better sports facilities and to make sure they are what is needed for those particular sports,” he said.

Mr Scheuboeck said the area could also become the new home of beach volleyball in the city but the cost of those facilities would not be paid for by SACA.

“That is one of the options we are considering because City Beach is currently on council-owned land in the city but (the plan) has not yet been approved,” he said.

The proposal will be shown to councillors next month.
Doesn't really matter the size of the footprint, the parkland preservation society will still kick up a stink. Their argument will go somewhere along the lines of... "We'd rather nothing be build in replacement of what's being removed. We want an open parkland for everyone to enjoy" or as it translates to me: "We're just going to complain about any proposal that moderately improves the productivity of the parklands, our vision for the area is for it to remain a baron that no-one can use, ESPECIALLY NOT ORGANISATIONS, HOW DARE THEY."

Built it, SACA.

Waewick

#1768 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I was going for a drive today and spotted this around 224 Waymouth (yes I did a search)
WP_20150724_13_58_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20150724_13_58_01_Pro.jpg (271.38 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
WP_20150724_13_58_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20150724_13_58_01_Pro.jpg (271.38 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
not sure what it is or what it is for, being built by System Built so I can only assume affordable housing?
Attachments
WP_20150724_13_31_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20150724_13_31_39_Pro.jpg (333.82 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1769 Post by Ben » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm fairly sure it's a single level child care centre. Such a wasted opportunity.

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#1770 Post by Abwolf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 pm

It's the City West Childcare relocating from Hindley St to make way for the great Hall.