News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
CamCog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2071 Post by CamCog » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:55 am

How about the Park Hotel on Pirie street Project? I would assume that it would start construction next year if they want it done by 2018?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2072 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:57 am

Ben wrote:Sorry for the random excitement.... but we have not had a single building over 100m constructed for over 25 years and now possibly next year there is a real possibility we could have 7 in one year under construction. These are all high chances of going ahead. If even only 1 of these go ahead it will be the biggest change to the skyline since the 80's. 2017 will be massive!

Frome Central............................................36 (135m) - Pre Sales
Renaissance Arcade.....................................40 (132m) - Pre Sales
Sofitel Currie Street....................................32 (115m) - Due to commence April
322 King William Street (South).....................31 (114m) - Due to commence early-mid 2017
322 King William Street (North).....................31 (114m) - Due to commence early-mid 2017
Festival Centre...........................................27 (108m) - Due to commence mid 2017
29 Angus Street (Kodo).................................30 (103m) - Due to commence January

There may even be some we are not aware of yet.

The Park Hotel hasn't been submitted, led alone approved. It is possible but they would want to get a move on if they were to start next year, i think its unlikely at this stage.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2073 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Ben wrote:Sorry for the random excitement.... but we have not had a single building over 100m constructed for over 25 years and now possibly next year there is a real possibility we could have 7 in one year under construction. These are all high chances of going ahead. If even only 1 of these go ahead it will be the biggest change to the skyline since the 80's. 2017 will be massive!

Frome Central............................................36 (135m) - Pre Sales
Renaissance Arcade.....................................40 (132m) - Pre Sales
Sofitel Currie Street....................................32 (115m) - Due to commence April
322 King William Street (South).....................31 (114m) - Due to commence early-mid 2017
322 King William Street (North).....................31 (114m) - Due to commence early-mid 2017
Festival Centre...........................................27 (108m) - Due to commence mid 2017
29 Angus Street (Kodo).................................30 (103m) - Due to commence January

There may even be some we are not aware of yet.
Thank god the State Government took full control and overhauled the planning regulations all those years ago. Best decision.

On the ground, Adelaide is much more exciting and alive city these days. However viewed from afar the city still looks like that big ol' country town and if you read anything in the media lately this just further confirms that perception. The Adelaide of today has a thriving nightlife scene, huge variety of eateries, new hotels, an impressive multi-purpose venue and all up a better city to be in. It's high time we had a modern city skyline to match it.

With the state facing tough economic challenges and the negative stigma surrounding the old State Bank building (Westpac), the timing could not be more perfect for this wave of new tall buildings to be built. It will showcase a modern and happening major city. A city that businesses want to invest, tourists want to visit and locals feel proud of.

Also, after 28 years of being the tallest building (old as me :P), Westpac could potentially be downgraded to the third tallest. Crazy.
Last edited by crawf on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2074 Post by skyliner » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 pm

well said Ben. My sentiments exactly. Many people in Adelaide have no idea of these developments coming up and are rather stunned when told - breaks the old conception of a big country town in recession. :D :D Many over here however have had a marked change of perception of the place - ALL positive. I think the oval opened a lot of eyes.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

[Shuz]

#2075 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 am

I know they've been inactive/probably dead for a long time, but there's also the Park Hotel Pirie Street, the 123 Flinders Street project, that other 103m tall hotel on Currie Street and the 100 Flinders Street tower.

Let alone what we don't know - and if I had to hedge my bets, I think we're in for a few more surprises yet.

I'm really hoping that a developer takes note of the revelation that maximum PANS-OPS at Renaissance Arcade is 166.5m. This kind of information is really hard to come by - we've been waiting years for even the smallest hint of just how tall a tower can be. The fact is that this absolute height limit gets higher the further south east you go from that point.

The far end of Pirie / Flinders Streets near Hutt Street would make for very attractive future development prospects as you would probably be able to go upwards of 180m tall around there. If only I had the few million dollars lying around in my back pocket, I most certainly would cash in on a piece of land.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2076 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:39 am

[Shuz] wrote:I know they've been inactive/probably dead for a long time, but there's also the Park Hotel Pirie Street, the 123 Flinders Street project, that other 103m tall hotel on Currie Street and the 100 Flinders Street tower.

Let alone what we don't know - and if I had to hedge my bets, I think we're in for a few more surprises yet.

I'm really hoping that a developer takes note of the revelation that maximum PANS-OPS at Renaissance Arcade is 166.5m. This kind of information is really hard to come by - we've been waiting years for even the smallest hint of just how tall a tower can be. The fact is that this absolute height limit gets higher the further south east you go from that point.

The far end of Pirie / Flinders Streets near Hutt Street would make for very attractive future development prospects as you would probably be able to go upwards of 180m tall around there. If only I had the few million dollars lying around in my back pocket, I most certainly would cash in on a piece of land.
Having said that there was the 200m Spire tower above David Jones approved so I guess it can be possible to go higher in some cases?

[Shuz]

#2077 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:45 am

I heard a rumour that in order to accommodate the 200m tower, that the main NE/SW runway was actually going to be realigned more NNE / SSW direction. My understanding was the Federal Government at the time was looking at buying out the Glenelg Golf Course adjacent the airport to accommodate the re-alignment, but then in doing so would have impacted on high-rise development at Glenelg, as the planes would have literally gone straight over Jetty Road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2078 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:59 am

There's no way the government would spend hundreds of millions maybe even billions to do that to allow one tower to go ahead....

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2079 Post by Pikey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:04 am

[Shuz] wrote:I know they've been inactive/probably dead for a long time, but there's also the Park Hotel Pirie Street, the 123 Flinders Street project, that other 103m tall hotel on Currie Street and the 100 Flinders Street tower.

Keep an eye certain on sites south of of Pirie and Waymouth streets... There's some exciting things to be announced in 2017.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#2080 Post by Spurdo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:47 am

Pikey wrote: Keep an eye certain on sites south of of Pirie and Waymouth streets... There's some exciting things to be announced in 2017.
ooh, would it be possible to tell us a bit more?

[Shuz]

#2081 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Pikey wrote: Keep an eye certain on sites south of of Pirie and Waymouth streets... There's some exciting things to be announced in 2017.
ooh, would it be possible to tell us a bit more?
A quick search on RealCommercial gives you some ideas...

CamCog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2082 Post by CamCog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Does anyone know whether the Eclipse Apartments and Echelon Apartments got approved?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2083 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Eclipse Apartments, now known as Realm Adelaide has been approved. Echelon Apartments not approved yet I don't think.

EDIT : Echelon Apartments now approved.

IAintTouchin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2084 Post by IAintTouchin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:09 pm

I barely ever post but I am in love with Adelaide at the moment. It's looking fantastic. Yes we all want skyscrapers but mate, walking around, Adelaide's streets are vibrant, beautiful and not stressful.
I am iTouch

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2085 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Eyyyy

Ernst & Young are having their signage replaced to the new branded. "EY"

Example below. Definitely has a strong case for worst re branding ever.