News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CBD Development: General

#601 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am

Xaragmata wrote:If using Firefox (and probably others) hold Ctrl & press - until the picture appears. Hold Ctrl & press + to reverse the process.
Or right click on the picture and middle click 'view image' (or whatever it's called - I'm on my PS3 now) and it will open in full in a new tab.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#602 Post by Mpol » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 am

WTF at people still using red brick as a front facade.

UH-GA-LEE!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#603 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:39 am

Mpol wrote:WTF at people still using red brick as a front facade.

UH-GA-LEE!
sorry - don't agree. Red brick can look great. The choice of red brick for that Hutt/Angus St apartment block is not that attractive though i must say - almost has a purple tinge about it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#604 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:12 am

I'm with Wayno on this one.. the red face bricks look great and do a good job in breaking up the grey cladding.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#605 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:51 am

Howie wrote:I'm with Wayno on this one.. the red face bricks look great and do a good job in breaking up the grey cladding.
also, many of the Portland Oregon TOD pikkies uploaded by Prince George (or was it Queene Anne?) show how well red brick can be used - and i personally think it looks sexy (err, in a platonic non-perverse kind of way). I'm actually hoping that our future TODs include lots of red brick, and maybe even some rough-cut sandstone facades...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#606 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

I'll take red brick over tilt-up concrete any day.
Keep Adelaide Weird

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#607 Post by skyliner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:34 pm

There is a bldg on Currie St (north side) near KWS that I remember has red brick - looks good - a break from cement gray and a little 'colonial' in appearance. (10 - 12 floors I think).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Xaragmata

#608 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 pm

skyliner wrote:There is a bldg on Currie St (north side) near KWS that I remember has red brick - looks good - a break from cement gray and a little 'colonial' in appearance. (10 - 12 floors I think).
The Grand Chancellor hotel:

https://www.ghihotels.com/hgc/display_a ... 28&night=1

skyliner

#609 Post by skyliner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks Xara.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#610 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Not exactly development but we're about to be inundated with... something large everywhere...
DA/29/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. VICTORIA SQUARE, Victoria Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000
DA/30/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. 73-79 Hindmarsh Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000
DA/31/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. 97 99 101 103 105 King William Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
DA/32/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. DAME ROMA CENTRE FOR PERFORMING ARTS, 23-39 Light Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000
DA/33/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. RYMILL PARK, East Terrace, ADELAIDE SA 5000
DA/34/2010 14/01/2010 Development Application Received Erect temporary inflatable visual art display from 15 February 2010 to 16 March 2010. 122-140 King William Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#611 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Also this is good for some liveliness:
Pub to pop up for Adelaide Fringe
newsLocal News13 Jan 10 @ 09:30am by Emily Charrison

PLACE TO BE: Claire Kneebone and Ross Stanley in Arcade Lane which will host more than 150 performances during the 2010 Adelaide Fringe Festival in March.Picture: Rpy Van Der Vegt CVK24118
A sleepy city laneway is about to become the scene of burlesque dancing, live cabaret, quirky theatre shows and Adelaide’s newest “pop-up” pub.

Arcade Lane, between Rundle Mall and Grenfell St, will host more than 150 performances during its debut at the 2010 Adelaide Fringe Festival in March.

The old Regent Theatre will reopen for the first time in six years to stage most of the shows, and a temporary “pop-up” bar will serve up bevvies and food for Fringe-goers.

Event organiser, designer and ex-publican Ross Stanley said the two remaining Regent cinemas - earmarked for future development and unused since 2004 - would be transformed into theatre hubs, each hosting up to five shows a night.

“It’s great to be able to use the space again - I saw Star Wars in that cinema,” Mr Stanley, 39, said.

He said the idea was to turn Arcade Lane into a “drinking and eating hole-meets performance space-meets burlesque house” during the Fringe.

“I’ve been to the (St Jerome’s) Laneway Festival numerous times and I’m aware of the market open to using urban spaces for things other than what they were designed for.

“It’s a great way to create a street vibe.”

Arcade Lane is open during the 50th annual Fringe Festival, from February 18 to March 14, 5pm till late. A launch party will be held on February 18 in the lane.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#612 Post by Will » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:33 am

From the Advertiser:
Investors swoop as apartment market heats up
HANNAH SILVERMAN, REAL ESTATE REPORTER
January 18, 2010 12:00am

THIS year is being hailed the "year of the investor" with apartments hot on the radar.

But a shortage of current stock is tipped to push prices up by 10 per cent.

Real Estate Institute of SA president Michael Brock said many projects that had been approved had either been postponed or shelved because of global economic uncertainty. New developments would only start construction within the next six to eight months.

"The properties that are on the market now are the ones that investors will be looking to purchase," Mr Brock said.

For apartments close to services and facilities such as the CBD, West Lakes and Mawson Lakes, Mr Brock predicts an increase of 7 or 8 per cent, with the possibility of a 10 per cent increase.

This means an apartment in the CBD at the median price of $365,000 could cost buyers up to an extra $36,500.

Latest Valuer-General figures show inner-city apartments and units increased 11.51 per cent in median price in the past 12 months, almost double the 6.25 per cent growth of the metropolitan house price.

Describing 2010 as "the year of the investor", Professionals apartments and residential projects director Nick Ploubidis said water restrictions, rising petrol prices and expanding festivals were the main reasons demand for apartment living in the CBD had soared.

"Demand for apartment rentals has increased, especially this year compared to last year and we've noticed it already," he said.

"It's more executive people rather than students which is interesting."Shane Jones, 38, and Olga Iouchina, 35, purchased an investment property in the new Conservatory on Hindmarsh in September, which was tenanted almost immediately.

"The city is starting to come to life at the moment, especially in Hindmarsh Square," Mr Jones said. "Plus you've got the Tour Down Under, Clipsal, Fringe - everything seems to be coming to Adelaide."

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#613 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Investors swoop as apartment market heats up
HANNAH SILVERMAN, REAL ESTATE REPORTER
January 18, 2010 12:00am
For apartments close to services and facilities such as the CBD, West Lakes and Mawson Lakes, Mr Brock predicts an increase of 7 or 8 per cent, with the possibility of a 10 per cent increase.

This means an apartment in the CBD at the median price of $365,000 could cost buyers up to an extra $36,500.
Is this the Advertiser catering to their innumerate readership?
"It's more executive people rather than students which is interesting."Shane Jones, 38, and Olga Iouchina, 35, purchased an investment property in the new Conservatory on Hindmarsh in September, which was tenanted almost immediately.
Considering the prices, I'm not surprised. Students have to live 20 to a wardrobe to afford new inner city apartments.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#614 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Didn't really know where else to put this.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/mak ... by-design/
Making our cities better by design

Keating also lamented the bulldozing of much of Melbourne’s heritage in the 1970s, but even had a shot at some of the Victorian buildings that remained.

“I used to call it Whorehouse Rococo and Bordello Baroque”, he said. And he teased Australia’s “heritage mafia” for making a crust out of pretending that old buildings are of significance.

“Things that were never good in the first place, by sheer dint of age, become important,” he said.

A few years back, Keating gave a speech to a city development conference in Sydney.

There he took aim at “modernism”, and described ‘McMansions’ as “an eczema on the Australian landscape”.

But behind the colourful barbs, Keating talked thoughtfully about the importance of good design.

“Design does nourish the soul,’’ he said.

“Our brains are built to comprehend shape and form and are pleased by harmony.

“The eye sees everything. When we walk into a room, we know instantly whether we are pleased by the ambience, even though we cannot instantly articulate why this is the case.??”Similarly, in the built environment, especially in the urban landscape, we know in a heartbeat whether a new construction is a net addition or subtraction from our own interpretive world.

”The old cityscapes have mostly felt good for us because of their human scale, their material use, their architectural exclamation marks and their places for people.

“We regard them as soul-ful, not soul-less, ….”

In my own State, planning and design have long occupied a place of importance.

Surveyor Colonel William Light’s 1830s plan for Adelaide has stood the test of time.

The design of central Adelaide and its parklands, an enduring ‘City in a Park’, is not only revered at home, but admired abroad.

Planning and architecture students around the world are taught about the design principles of 19th Century Adelaide.

But neither Light, nor our State’s pioneers who began arriving in 1836, could have envisioned 21st Century Adelaide and a 20th Century invention - the motor car.

That’s why I will soon release a 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide.

This is a blueprint that will shape our metropolitan area and its future.

It will enhance its vibrancy, preserve its liveability, and enshrine its sustainability.

The Plan, which follows a huge consultation effort, will emphasise the value we place on Adelaide’s heritage and unique character, and help underpin the highest quality in urban planning and design.

Sometimes, people criticise plans as an excuse for inaction.

That doesn’t wash now.

There’s plenty happening in Adelaide, either under construction or about to be.

It’s our big build, worth billions.

A desalination plant being built to secure water for our city.

A redeveloped tram network.

A modernised, state-of-the-art electrified and extended suburban train system.

A world class hospital and medical research centre.

The biggest road building roll-out in our history.

A high-tech defence precinct at suburban Osborne, where Air Warfare Destroyers will be built.

And an upgraded Adelaide Oval, for footy as well as cricket.
Our city is experiencing a massive, unprecedented investment in infrastructure.

But both the planning, and the biggest infrastructure build ever means we must also embrace world’s best practice in architecture and urban design.

I’m not just talking about the better design of buildings, but also the spaces between them.

It’s about a greener, more vibrant city, for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as cars.

It’s about a commitment to quality streetscapes, as well as better roads and public transport.

It’s about a city that people want to come to, rather than leave.

For years, we have looked at planning issues or areas within our CBD, in isolation.

It is the same in cities around Australia.

A patchwork quilt that is patched, not interwoven.

Too often, it’s been a slanging match.

Heritage versus development, but never about building future heritage.

I want South Australia to be as celebrated for excellence in design as we are for our wines, our festivals, our leadership in renewable energy.

But it’s got to be integrated design.

The recent work and recommendations of our Canadian Thinker in Residence, Architecture Professor Laura Lee, have challenged us to do better.

Much better.

Her work was a collaboration with local architects, local planners, local business, local and State Government.

The South Australian Government has listened and, in an Australian first, we will establish an Integrated Design Commission to better co-ordinate and add value to the changing face of our city.

This is critically important as we face the challenges of population growth and climate change, the need to be smarter with our water and energy use, a growing economy, and our greater embrace of public transport.

We are not creating another level of bureaucracy.

The Integrated Design Commission will have an enabling and co-ordinating role, and will advise us on how we can better improve the quality of life of our cities and communities around the State through better design, and by fostering innovation.

It will ensure that our future development and infrastructure investment is better co-ordinated and of the highest quality, not something we, or our children, will regret later.

The South Australian Government will seek to attract a Commissioner with international leadership credentials, supported by an advisory board of leaders from the building industry, from architecture, planning and design backgrounds.

Like other States, a Government Architect will be appointed as part of this team to make sure we’re as proud of the new heritage we build, as we are of the old heritage we seek to preserve.

Through COAG, the Prime Minister has challenged the Premiers to do better with urban design, given that the Commonwealth is now partnering with us in infrastructure.

Through this initiative, I am determined South Australia will not only meet his challenge, but lead Australia in doing so.

- Mike Rann

Omicron

#615 Post by Omicron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Agree or disagree with Paul Keating's politics as you will, but he's an absolute riot. More characters in politics, please.