[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN]

#46 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 pm

Took me a while to twig on to this one!!. Top news!! Adelaide on the move!! Could even have an iconic appearance - Adelaide is in need of such!

I read of the concerns about the Adelaide airport influencing the height of these towers. Of note - I found out that airspace can be bought - at a price - allowing extra height to be attained. Found this out from the church next to the Mortphett St Bridge on North Terrace in Jan. this year. (when discussing building heights with them about Nth. Tce. bldgs. near the bridge).

Top news! The attempted render height sure breaks the 18 - 20 storey limit everywhere.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#47 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Say, how can airspace be bought.. i'm not too sure how that works?

Btw, just loaded the parameters up into sketchup+google earth... and plotted it on the location of 20-22 currie street. Here's how it looks.

There is another picture which I haven't included here, which shows that Santos will be completely blocked from view coming into city from King William Street / O'Connell Street. Imagine that, a tower so big it covers Santos from our view.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#48 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:58 pm

sounds promising!

im looking forward to hearing more about this project :)

its hard to imagine a building bigger than santos in adelaide

Done
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#49 Post by Done » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Great news for the city, can not wait to see those renders!
Very exiting
Last edited by Done on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CULWULLA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN]

#50 Post by CULWULLA » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:48 pm

hi guys, as i mentioned in ssc forums, beamer was a bit excited. The heights he mentioned are RLS,. i spoke with planner today and the top curved element is RL166.5m, while grd level= RL43.5m thus 123m above grd.
he said the elevations/renders will be ready in a few weeks online, but she may send me some stuff in meantime.sounds like a cool tower.lots of glass and T shape floor plates.
fyi, the RL for Santos hs LMR= RL175m, and roof = RL168m, so this one will be just 1.5m lower then santos hs main roof.
cheers
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[CAN]

#51 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 pm

ugh!!! its not the tallest, ah well i still dream for the day adelaide has a building in the top 20 but thats another 80 metres ah well!!!

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#52 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 pm

damn.
Still sounds promising though.

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#53 Post by Maximus_Marc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:48 pm

beamer85 quote "I'm so excited and shaking and stuff"

You were shaking over a 130m building :?

That is funny but weird at the same time lol

Anyway this is great and lets all think positive so it goes ahead

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#54 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:07 pm

Still exciting... i must admit, i felt a little tingle in my pants. :lol:

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#55 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 pm

That sounds like a much more realistic height. Much better chance of getting approved by AAL too. 'T' shape sounds great as the site frontage to Currie Street is fairly thin. 'T' shape will allow more bulk from the northern elevation I guess. 123m is still very high for Adelaide. Very close to Santos height. It will probably appear taller than Santos from most northern aspects. All glass, mmmm, finally a tower of height that is all glass and that will be visible from the traditional skyline shots. I really hope this one goes ahead. This development would really change the face of Adelaide. If DTEI commits to space come budget time then it will definately go ahead, otherwise who knows. Thanks for the enquiries beamer and Culwulla, hopefully we can get some renders not too far off. Howie I like the google sketches. Imagining it a bit lower now but that Currie Street angle is great too.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#56 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:49 pm

I'll fix it when we get some renders :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[CAN]

#57 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:53 pm

CULWULLA where are these SSC forums?

Mants
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#58 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:54 pm

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#59 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:06 pm

In someways I'm glad its around 123m and not 164m. While a building at that height would of been awesome, it would of looked weird opposite Santos and probley end our construction boom. - plus the site is not very wide

Personally I would love to see DTEI choose the Planet Site and see the height of that project increase over 120m - unless the current 72m proposal building is very fat.

But this other site is pretty good and it would be awesome to see another tall building from a distance, plus Currie Street needs to become more dense.

Wow, our skyline is set for a huge makeover over the next few years :D. Cant wait to see some renders and hope to god its approved!!.

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#60 Post by nimeton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:25 pm

This evening I walked past the site of this development. The street frontage is indeed reasonably narrow but from what i can gather it goes as far back as the Pancake Kitchen on Gilbert Place... I obviously haven't seen the design but on first impressions the floor plates wouldn't be heaps big. Hard to imagine for office space.

As I said, this development backs onto Gilbert Place which could also be a problem. The laneways in that part of town have largely been untouched by modern development so their may be some objections raised on heritage grounds.

I want to see a building of this size built as much as anyone but I have a few doubts regarding practicalities and approval. Obviously the building needs to be close to Santos in order to justify the height to the council but I think its architectural merits will also need to be rather stunning. I wonder if there is anywhere else such a building could be placed that is close to Santos? Pity the height restrictions are so stringent as there are plenty of potentially better sites in the wider city area.