News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

#1681 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:53 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:31 pm
Ben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:30 pm
They’ve just lodged two more applications for the two sites south of this one. A 12 level and 7 level. No doubt no ground floor activation again and the same cookie cutter design. A completely wasted opportunity and they have destroyed the possibility of activating a public square.
Do you mean for hurtle and co stage 4 and the other one where the tire shop is?
The tyre shop development is called SOUTH WEST

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1682 Post by Ben » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Nope two more proposals only lodged this week. To replace the 2 level townhouses in the south east corner.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1683 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Ben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Nope two more proposals only lodged this week. To replace the 2 level townhouses in the south east corner.
I don't know about the proposals lodged this week but SOUTH WEST was lodged quite some time ago. Here's the render.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1684 Post by Algernon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Man. Form Projects (nope, not using the edgy mispelling) builds complete and utter garbage. :applause:

Patrick_27

#1685 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:28 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Man. Form Projects (nope, not using the edgy mispelling) builds complete and utter garbage. :applause:
Not sure I agree with you, their first build on Hurtle Square by Carrington Street is a pile of shit, but they've become progressively better since. Don't get me wrong, they aren't great, but a lot of what they are replacing (mostly single story, 60s era office buildings) are pretty bad and its bringing more people back to the CBD south without the loss of the blue stone cottages that occupy most of the area.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1686 Post by Ben » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:29 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm
Ben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm
I don't know about the proposals lodged this week but SOUTH WEST was lodged quite some time ago. Here's the render.

Yeh that’s the tyre place. These two are the other side. They will have built over 50% of the square by time these go through.

Patrick_27

#1687 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm

RE: there being no street activation, I don't think this is a bad thing. There are retail shopfronts nearby that are vacant and have been for some time. The area doesn't need more vacant retail space, and there are already plenty of great cafes and restaurants nearby. If the demand warrants it, I'm sure the developers will consider it but at this stage I'd say they've made the calculated choice to have three extra apartments on ground level and fill these spaces immediately, rather than gamble with having empty space on the ground level. Look at Kodo for instance, 100+m apartment building with ground level retail and it's been empty since the building was complete.

Besides, by the looks of the render Ben just posted of the stage four development, there will be ground level retail.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1688 Post by Ben » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm
RE: there being no street activation, I don't think this is a bad thing. There are retail shopfronts nearby that are vacant and have been for some time. The area doesn't need more vacant retail space, and there are already plenty of great cafes and restaurants nearby. If the demand warrants it, I'm sure the developers will consider it but at this stage I'd say they've made the calculated choice to have three extra apartments on ground level and fill these spaces immediately, rather than gamble with having empty space on the ground level. Look at Kodo for instance, 100+m apartment building with ground level retail and it's been empty since the building was complete.

Besides, by the looks of the render Ben just posted of the stage four development, there will be ground level retail.
Re Kodo ground floor it was leased since January but due to covid was put on hold. There is a restaurant being fit out now due to open in July.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1689 Post by SRW » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Look, the Forme builds are uninspired but still unequivocally a good thing for the city. We need more residential density in order to sustain the sorts of ground floor retail we wish to activate streets. These do the job. In terms of appearance, they’re unremarkable but inoffensive. In some ways, it makes me think of Vancouver — the condos there are near universally bland, but they’ve achieved critical mass and helped that city thrive.
Keep Adelaide Weird

BSK
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1690 Post by BSK » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Care to elaborate?

Patrick_27

#1691 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Ben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:47 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Re Kodo ground floor it was leased since January but due to covid was put on hold. There is a restaurant being fit out now due to open in July.
Great news!

EBG

#1692 Post by EBG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Update for 62 South Tce. Level3 is now complete.. Picture 20/6/2020. Please click on picture for bigger
Attachments
20200620_south tce.jpg

Ho Really

#1693 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:21 am

From the article:
SA Construction given green light – again – to build apartment complex on city fringe
Celeste Villani, City Editor, The Messenger
June 23, 2020 10:30pm
[...]

Meanwhile, the panel also gave Seaton-based The Vito Group approval to build a $2.4 million, five-storey building at 149-151 Melbourne St.

It will have four self-serviced tourist apartments, five residential apartments and a retail tenancy on the ground floor.

The site has been vacant for more than 10 years.

Presiding panel member Mark Adcock said the development would contribute to Melbourne St’s amenity.

“Melbourne St has been developing a particular character over a long period of time and I think this … fits well,” Mr Adcock said.

Panel member Colleen Dunn said despite the building’s “shortfalls” it was “very handsome” and “well designed”.

“I particularly like that it has four decent faces – each side of the building looks good and is finished well,” Ms Dunn said.

The Messenger
Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

EBG

#1694 Post by EBG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm

update 27/6/2020.the apartment building on the south east corner of Halifax St and Hurtle Sq is nearing completion.
Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20200627_hurtle sq.jpg

Champs84
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1695 Post by Champs84 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am

Hi All. Looked for seperate threads to put these in, but couldn't find any. The first is a pic of the progress on 60 South Terrace. The next two are what seems to be a complete gutting and refurbishment on the ground floor of 1 Whitmore Square. Anyone know if something is going in or are they just prepping for sale? Couldn't find much info online.

Cheers!
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg
IMG_5534.jpg