News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#46 Post by AtD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:49 am

I love the new Westpac cladding. It's damn sexy.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Al » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm

I quite like the new cladding. I'd prefer glass though. :D

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Pants » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:57 pm

Will wrote:Glad to see the ugly car-park finally getting demolished, however the proposal is definately a missed opportunity. 100% bland.
Agreed. Just quietly.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Pants » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm

Domain's come up alright.

Wouldn't exactly call the Westpac re-cladding easy on the eyes, but hey, it's something.

Cheers for the pics yobster.

btw, there's a crane base on the Nth Tce Uni SA development site. Would have thought they'd do it with mobiles, but I guess the floorplates will be pretty big.

Anyway, the good news is that we'll have another swinger in the sky pretty soon. I'm guessing this weekend.
Last edited by Pants on Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Pikey » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:39 pm

^^^ Pic? ;)

Shit, so that'd make 7?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by Algernon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:27 am

Yep, this one won't cure cancer, but it has a couple of things going for it.The jade colouring will be an interesting complement (contrast?) to the blue of alpha apartments.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

wooo...

It'll replace a car park - finally getting one back, after god knows how many buildings have gone for those steel bs structures. And more to the point - the palias stairwell, which smells like concentrated piss, because that's what it's covered in, will be gone forever. Unfortunately this probably means the little mural is gone as well, and the cute little pedestrian throughfare will lose a lot of character. No more stone wall, no more enclave for stoners (poor stoners).

The all glass top half is disappointing, however it does bring a lot of light into the area, which'll be great for people who don't know what light is :idea:

I wish the architect experimented more with the brick finishes on the street scale elements. All the bricks will probably be brand spanking new red brick. Boring. Garden East syndrome repeated one block over. Hard edged clean red brick is the most "un lived in" looking building material going around.

westfield-newurbanism

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by Adelarch » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:27 am

Good news, for a long time Ive been wondering when this stretch of Nth Tce finally gets redeveloped being such a prime location. But what I'm not clear on is whether the site extends all the way from Ayers House to Frome Rd (like the Alpha site)? Anyone know?

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#53 Post by Algernon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure it lies strictly within the border of the palais car park.

I had a little crack at colouring up the render, to see how the jade would look.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Pikey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:48 pm

This site is that shitty carpark opposite the hospital yeah?
Walking on over....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Will » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:49 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Great pics Chris!

I must admit I am unsure about the Westpac recladding. However it is slowly growing on me and although very basic looking I am actually starting to like it as more is added. Will, there is no way it is more out-dated looking than the old caldding, that is going a bit far. The old cladding was repulsive with those little rectangles imo. I would say that it has brought the building more in line with an early-mid 80's style instead of bringing it all the way to today's styles. Atleast the owners are having a go even if it is basic. Better than just painting it as was done with the building down on the corner of Hindley and King William. That looks cheap and nasty and the dark red down the side just adds to it's awful appearance they should have just painted it all white/silver, if at all!

I went to the city on Sunday, and had a look at the Westpac building, and despite your comments I found it more repulsive in person. I honestly would have preferred they keep the 1960's facade, which at-least incorporated marble into the facade. Maybe my sentiments stem from my dislike of black-coloured buildings. They look like cheap furniture.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Will » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:53 pm

Adelarch wrote:Good news, for a long time Ive been wondering when this stretch of Nth Tce finally gets redeveloped being such a prime location. But what I'm not clear on is whether the site extends all the way from Ayers House to Frome Rd (like the Alpha site)? Anyone know?
No, the Royal Adelaide Hospital chest & breast clinic is next door. This will not be demolished.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:48 pm

Went through the city yesterday and noticed that they have a render of the Westpac recladding visible on the northern side of the builidng facing onto King William Street. Shows that the corner section won't be black but instead an orange/red colour to the roof. Hard to tell when driving past, guessing red to fit in with Westpac colour scheme. So the building won't be all black. Looked ok on the render but hard to tell until finished.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Pikey » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:20 pm

Uni SA crane is up. Favelle Favco 1500. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Walking on over....

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Pants » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:59 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Went through the city yesterday and noticed that they have a render of the Westpac recladding visible on the northern side of the builidng facing onto King William Street. Shows that the corner section won't be black but instead an orange/red colour to the roof. Hard to tell when driving past, guessing red to fit in with Westpac colour scheme. So the building won't be all black. Looked ok on the render but hard to tell until finished.
Thanks for letting us know mate.

Sound interesting enough. Will have to check it out this week.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Pikey » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:49 am

Uni SA Crane:

Walking on over....