[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#76 Post by bmw boy » Mon May 28, 2007 9:34 pm

why should there be massive outcry? ... I understand there would be, but what i don't understand is why.

With the drought and water crisis, we see a lack of rain falling on our parklands and the council restricted from watering them (besides a few areas, such as Veale Gardens) many of the parks have become ugly barron areas of dead grass and dirt.... i don't know about others, but I for one don't find that attractive. I think an area along south tce would be a good location for a new RAH facility. It would liven up that side of town and encourage more developement.

The old RAH site is quite a large area, and if it were to be transfromed into a number of different facilities, inc student accomodation, uni buildings (possibly new international uni's and expansion of our existing uni's) and a substancial area of incorperated greenery i think this would be an appropriate compromise.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#77 Post by UrbanSG » Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 am

Bmw boy there would be a massive outcry because most peoiple want the parklands maintained, but in a better condition than they currently are.

Do you follow issues such as Victoria Park? There is your answer there. The outcry from the parklands preservation group and NIMBY's would be huge. I for one think the parklands should be maintained but in a better condition than they currently are. There is more than enough space in the CBD area that can be developed first before we need to focus development in the parklands.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#78 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm

bmw bow :
why should there be massive outcry? ... I understand there would be, but what i don't understand is why.
I know there would be massive outcry UrbanSG and yes i have seen what has happend with the victoria park developement.

But as i pointed out... how do you expect these vast areas of parklands to be better maintained, with drought like conditions and water restrictions?

I think a portioned area of the old RAH transformed into a new parkland style developement would be utalised much more than some deserted areas found along South Terace.

UrbanSG
:
There is more than enough space in the CBD area that can be developed first before we need to focus development in the parklands.
Which areas of our CBD would you suggest would be a good idea for a new RAH developement?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#79 Post by rhino » Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm

bmw boy wrote: how do you expect these vast areas of parklands to be better maintained, with drought like conditions and water restrictions?
By changing the nature of the parklands from huge open grasslands to more of a bush feel. The ovals will still be maintained as green playing fields, but the area in between them, rather than be uninviting dead grass and bare dirt, can be sown with drought-hardy native grasses, bushes and trees.

I'm all for keeping the parklands, and fear that any infringement upon them will be the beginning of their demise unless a bargain can be struck to green up another area in return.
cheers,
Rhino

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#80 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:38 pm

yeh thats what im saying rhino.... some kind of trade where new parkland / garden areas are introduced at the old RAH site incorperated with amoung other developements ..... that area of the city would beneift from more greenery, especially with the amount of people in the area compared to population density around some sth tce parklands.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#81 Post by UrbanSG » Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am

This is getting really old now! Bmw boy I wasn't referring to the RAH going elsewhere in the CBD. I stated my support for it over the railyards. I was talking about development in general eg apartments etc, occurring on parklands when we have space in the CBD.

One way of maintaining the parklands could be to introduce a wetland area in the southern parklands to reduce the flood risk for the inner SE and southern suburbs. This option is currently being considered. It could then provide a large water supply for irrigation during the summer months. Using more native grass/shrubs instead of so much water hungry grass could also help. Not all natives are ugly or look dry either as most people seem to believe.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#82 Post by bmw boy » Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am

ok UrbanSG, i'm sorry if you think this is getting old now, but i was simply answering questions/responding to people's statements regarding to me, including yourself... & also don't forget we still don't know what the plans are on this issue!

if its a thread regarding the relocation of the RAH to somewhere else in the CBD area then its not unfair to believe that was what you reffering to...

yes, you've stated your support for the RAH to be moved to the railyards but many here have stated thier opposition to a move to this location.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#83 Post by Ben » Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 am

Don't think this will surprise anyone.

'Bullying' parklands meetings face axe

CRAIG BILDSTIEN
May 31, 2007 02:15am

LORD Mayor Michael Harbison yesterday threatened to suspend future meetings of the Adelaide Parklands Authority unless members controlled their behaviour.

Senior councillor Anne Moran stormed out of a meeting on Tuesday night claiming she had been "bullied".

She said yesterday she would not attend any further meetings until Mr Harbison can "control the abuse".

Ms Moran told The Advertiser she was grossly offended by criticisms of her by authority member Frank Blevins, a former state Labor minister. "He was behaving like (Treasurer) Kevin Foley's attack dog," she said.

Ms Moran walked out after Mr Blevins declined repeated requests from Mr Harbison to withdraw remarks which he ruled were "offensive".

Mr Blevins subsequently withdrew after she left the meeting.

Mr Harbison said Mr Blevins had "reflected on her integrity" and while he declined to say exactly what it was Mr Blevins had said, admitted he could "understand her feeling upset".

He was "concerned" Mr Blevins had declined to withdraw until after Ms Moran left.

"I don't think that's acceptable, and it is my intention to suspend proceedings if it happens again," he said.

Ms Moran said Mr Blevins accused her of "hypocrisy" for supporting a scaled-back permanent grandstand in Victoria Park, but opposing the relocation of the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

"I am not going to sit there and put up with that sort of outrageous behaviour and level of animosity being directed towards me," she said.

In his first statement to the media in 10 years, Mr Blevins told The Advertiser Ms Moran "protesteth too much".

"I responded to her inappropriate attack on the Government and on all SA MPs," he said. "If she continues to use the authority in this way, she should get out of her glasshouse - after she gave the Government the Victoria Park grandstand - and lose the glass jaw."

Ms Moran described the authority, which advises the council and the Government on the parklands, as "useless".

Mr Harbison disagreed, saying it was a "good initiative".

Former Australian Democrats state parliamentary leader Ian Gilfillan, also an authority member, said he believed it should be given the chance to work.

"It will take some time to be as effective as we want it to be, but I believe it is heading that way," he said.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#84 Post by shuza » Thu May 31, 2007 9:34 am

Ugh! I hate that old whinebag.
Ms Moran "protesteth too much".
Stating the obvious for most Adelaidians, but seriously - can someone just kick her out of office already.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#85 Post by crawf » Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 am

Ms Moran said Mr Blevins accused her of "hypocrisy" for supporting a scaled-back permanent grandstand in Victoria Park, but opposing the relocation of the Royal Adelaide Hospita
And she could be the future mayor of Adelaide

God help us all... :shock:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: $1.5bn plan to build a new RAH

#86 Post by Ben » Thu May 31, 2007 12:50 pm

Call to keep RAH inside the city square mile

Chris Day

29May07

A NEW Royal Adelaide Hospital should be built within the city's square mile, not at the North Tce railway yards, Lord Mayor Michael Harbison says.

Mr Harbison said a new hospital within the square mile would trigger further development, and suggested Australia Post's Gouger St depot site as a possible location.
``We'd welcome the construction of a new RAH but we'd prefer to see it south of North Tce,'' Mr Harbison told the City Messenger this week.
``Australia Post's Gouger St site could be one possible location as they are looking to move.''
However, an Australian Post spokeswoman was this week not aware of any plans to leave Gouger St, which is about a third the size of the RAH site.
Mr Harbison said a hospital inside the city's boundaries would stimulate local trade and rejuvenate the area. That would not happen if the hospital was separated from the rest of the city on North Tce, he said. Last week the State Government would not confirm or deny it planned to close the RAH and build a new hospital on the railway yards west of the Morphett St Bridge at a cost of $1.5 billion.
An announcement is tipped to be the centrepiece of next week's State Budget.
Mr Harbison was keen to be involved in selecting a site.
He said if a new hospital was built on the railway yard, the RAH site should be returned to Parklands.
Treasurer Kevin Foley and Health Minister John Hill this week refused to comment on the speculation ahead of the Sate Budget, which will be handed down on Thursday, June 7.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by Matt » Thu May 31, 2007 12:57 pm

If they do decide to move this development elsewhere in the city (which I hope they do), I really hope they don't drop the ball and leave the railyards as they are.

If it came to having the hospital there, or leaving the railyards as they are now, I'd take the hospital.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by Ben » Thu May 31, 2007 1:03 pm

Sounds promising that Australia Post MAY be considering moving as that is one of Adelaide's ugliest buildings.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re:

#89 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 31, 2007 1:20 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Tyler Durden, 'settle'? You think what I wrote there was bad?
Only the bit where you criticsed people who think that North West railyard location should be used for something more iconic than a hospital.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#90 Post by Howie » Thu May 31, 2007 1:36 pm

The AusPost block is still too small a site. You'd have to take out 4 or five AusPost-sized blocks to accommodate the RAH plus allow for further expansion. Then you would have parking and air traffic restrictions to deal with.

The railyards still appears to be the most attractive site at the moment.