[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #PRO: New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $1.7b

#481 Post by iTouch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:22 pm

The article heading that the advertiser made sounds so stupid -_-
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

metro
Legendary Member!

#482 Post by metro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm

looks to be about 8-9 floors, for a hospital design it's not amazing but it's not too bad, anything would be better than the crap at the eastern end. Good to hear it's going to have more beds than the existing hospital and will be built sooner (wonder if that's true tho, it really will depend on how long it takes to decon the site).

From the sounds of things the Uni's will use the research facility for their med schools, but Adelaide Uni may end up building their own school in that part of town.

I'm looking forward to seeing work starting here next month with the clearing of the railyards. Hopefully for the construction it will add lots of cranes into the 'crane counter' thread. Compared with other sites like the Fiona Stanley and the Gold Coast uni hospitals where there's about 10, i'm betting there will be at least that or more, which should make for an impressive construction site and probably the first big construction project Adelaide has ever seen.

also trust the Advertiser to start the Article with something as random as "ROBOTS will supply drugs and food for patients in the new Royal Adelaide Hospital." :roll:

metro
Legendary Member!

#483 Post by metro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:39 pm

image copied over to this page
SRW wrote:Image

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#484 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am

I wish I lived in Render World.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#485 Post by AtD » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 am

I'm disappointed it's set so far back from North Tce. It could do so much more to improve the area.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#486 Post by Isiskii » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:06 pm

AtD wrote:I'm disappointed it's set so far back from North Tce. It could do so much more to improve the area.
Because patients love the sound of heavy traffic roaring past their windows while they're trying to rest?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#487 Post by AtD » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:35 pm

The guests of the hotels directly opposite don't seem to mind.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#488 Post by rev » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Isiskii wrote:
AtD wrote:I'm disappointed it's set so far back from North Tce. It could do so much more to improve the area.
Because patients love the sound of heavy traffic roaring past their windows while they're trying to rest?
It's not a present issue at the Royal Adelaide, nor at the QEH.
As ATD also mentioned, it's not an issue for the guests staying at a numerous hotels lined up along North Tce, or anywhere else in the CBD for that matter.

I believe they insulate between the walls to reduce noise. Our new house has something similar between the bedrooms and main living areas and laundry. Can still hear a little noise, but not as much. I'd imagine for commercial purposes there'd be a better quality.

Amused
Gold-Member ;)

#489 Post by Amused » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm really liking the use of robots within the proposed hospital. I'm assuming the robots will be similar if not the same as those employed in the recently opened Forth Valley Royal Hospital in Scotland. Having seen how many pharmacy assistants it takes to sort and package meds in the hospitals and then how long it takes to actually receive ordered meds, the automation of the services is quite an exciting prospect.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#490 Post by Mants » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm

rev wrote:
Isiskii wrote:
It's not a present issue at the Royal Adelaide, nor at the QEH.
As ATD also mentioned, it's not an issue for the guests staying at a numerous hotels lined up along North Tce, or anywhere else in the CBD for that matter.

I believe they insulate between the walls to reduce noise. Our new house has something similar between the bedrooms and main living areas and laundry. Can still hear a little noise, but not as much. I'd imagine for commercial purposes there'd be a better quality.
rev is right, besides this is set back from the road a long way, and will probably also have trees as a natural sound barrier as well.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#491 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Could it be that the set back means that the hospital (and its activity) is equidistant to both the West End and the Torrens' bank areas? Thus benefiting both, instead of being biased toward one or the other? ... maybe?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#492 Post by rhino » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 am

It will still look like parkland from both directions, even though there is a major hospital there. Maybe.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#493 Post by AtD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 am

monotonehell wrote: Could it be that the set back means that the hospital (and its activity) is equidistant to both the West End and the Torrens' bank areas? Thus benefiting both, instead of being biased toward one or the other? ... maybe?
I get where you're coming from. There's still a railway line between the hospital and the river so it's going to take a lot to 'connect' the two together.

For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that the hospital complex would extend further east. With the the retail proposal part of the re-development of the Convention Centre and the Montefiore Rd bridge plaza thing reaching out from the east, I would have expected the hospital precinct to reach out to the west. It'd help make the plaza viable economically.

Nort

#494 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:14 pm

I disagree in this case, I think it is the perfect compromise between those who wanted development there, and those who wanted the site returned to parklands. We get a nice big new hospital, but at the same time retain parklands bordering the road right into the city. It's also a much nicer surroundings for patients as well.

Xaragmata

#495 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:06 pm

More "concept images" here:

http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/c ... ah+designs

That is currently parkland between Nth Tce / Port Rd & the rail yard boundary, so will be retained and possibly expanded.