[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
duke
High Rise Poster!

[COM] 'Just Build it'

#31 Post by duke » Thu May 24, 2007 7:33 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
JUST build it. That's the verdict of AdelaideNow readers voting in our online poll for a $1.5 billion replacement for the Royal Adelaide Hospital at city railyards.

More than 400 people have voted with 68 p.c. in favour of the project going ahead. And in reader comments, most favour the new hospital but some think the site better suited to a new sporting or entertainment complex . Others feel the money should be spent on more doctors and nurses and not a building.
I support anything that keeps the RAH in the CBD. I think it would be a mistake to move it out of the CBD. Its a pity they didnt build a high rise on top of the emergency department when that was upgraded.

I wonder if the parkland preservation people would support building it in the south park lands if the space of the current hospital was returned to park lands. Thats the only other place i could see it going..

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#32 Post by bdm » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Wow, bravo to our idiot newspaper (I can't explain how much I detest the Advertiser), whose entire story is based on a unscientific online pool.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#33 Post by AtD » Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Here's a thought, and Howie might know more about this. Could there be an issue from radioactive material in the hospital? The state government is already so amazingly paranoid about the supposed threat of terrorism that they've removed all rubbish bins from Adelaide Station.

Just a thought.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#34 Post by UrbanSG » Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 pm

We have an outdated, poor quality, cramped hospital and all people can think about is putting an entertainment precinct on the proposed site instead. Sort of shows what people's priorities are :roll: Might change when they need the services of such a facility one day. I think a hospital could work well in that location. Sure would be nice for the patients. As a visitor to RAH I find it really sad for people I have visited and not just because they are sick!

If designed well the hospital could have an awesome impact on Adelaide's northern skyline too. Plus they are suggesting a site all the way to the old Adelaide Gaol, that is a huge area. I am sure there could be room for entertainment too in areas. Get over the stadium idea, AAMI and Adelaide Oval are upgrading I doubt anything will happen on that front. I want action on the railyards and I don't think this proposal is bad for this area, maybe not optimal but not terrible either. Plus if this did happen it would be a public/private partnership not all money would be provided directly by the government.

It would be great to see the old RAH site turned to parklands. The views of the RAH buildings from the Botanic Gardens are terrible. Get rid of those buildings. Parklands there would be great instead.

Anyway this is all highly speculative, who knows what will happen.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#35 Post by Howie » Thu May 24, 2007 8:38 pm

AtD wrote:Here's a thought, and Howie might know more about this. Could there be an issue from radioactive material in the hospital? The state government is already so amazingly paranoid about the supposed threat of terrorism that they've removed all rubbish bins from Adelaide Station.

Just a thought.
Yep parts of the hospital will have to be cleaned up and repatriated, I can't see that as being particularly difficult. There'd also be some issues around radiology, they've got an interesting setup... the main radiology room has a corridor that runs around and around and around in a spiral to prevent radiation getting into the offices on the other side of the building. The asbestos would probably be of a greater concern than the radioactive materials though, various parts of the hospital were built in different decades so they've all got their unique challenges. But having said that, Building & Engineering Services know the place inside out - their advice will be more than adequate for any team charged with the demolition of the hospital. I'll try to pull over one their guys next time i see them and find out more.

UrbanSG, I share your views on this too. I'd love to see an entertainment precinct, but this is the first realistic proposal to fix the RAH - the last two upgrades were bandaid solutions to much deeper problem. I'd support any proposal that keeps the RAH in the city, and gives us a world class hospital facility.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#36 Post by crawf » Thu May 24, 2007 9:39 pm

While I agree the railway yards should be reserved for a tourism/entertainment development. But the fact is health is more important than tourism and the RAH would have to be Australia's worst major hospital, its a asbestos ridden depressing hole and there really is no other large good location for the RAH.

While redeveloping the whole hospital is one option, but it would probably cost allot more, take more time and could cause major disruption to the hospital.

I visited the RAH quite a bit last year and I couldn't believe how dated the buildings and services are, it really is a huge disgrace. Plus the lifts breaking down all the time is a major safety issue.

I dont think there is any room in the CBD for a large hospital (except the railway yards or parklands) but maybe these locations could be looked at
- Around the Former North Adelaide Station (border between the railway lines and park terrace though its on parklands)
- Glenside Hospital Site
- Cheltenham Racecourse Site
- Department of Agriculture, Northgate
- Yatala Prison Site
- Former Islingtion Railway Yards

But really the best locations are the current site or the railway yards, I don't know any where in the CBD that there would be enough room for the RAH, maybe the new RAH could be split up around Inner Adelaide?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#37 Post by Ben » Thu May 24, 2007 9:45 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Might I also add that the way I have to cross marion road after i get off the bus is not to wait for a gap in traffic, cos that will never happen, but to actually wait for the traffic to bank up and stop, which happens alot!!
This is exactly what I do when i cross the road from my bus on south road at Mile End and 3 weeks ago i was hit by a motor bike trying to get to the front of the traffic lights. I am still getting over my broken bones but i was very lucky that i did not get worse injuries. South Rd should be made a freeway type road or a freeway north south should be made with relevant over / under passes for pedestrians too. This year 8 pedestrians have been killed compared to 2 the same time last year.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#38 Post by Cruise » Thu May 24, 2007 9:49 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote: Now that is a joke for a city of only 1.5mil people.
where do you live?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#39 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:54 pm

I cant agree with you more beamer.

Thing is people are diverting away from south road onto other main roads, clogging them up as well. So this problem is spreading to other roads as well.

If we make south road a super fast motorway with pedestrian bridges, all traffic will return back to south road and local roads will be used by local traffic. And I can get home from the city in a reasonable time..heheh

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#40 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
where do you live?
Park Holme near marion road.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#41 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:57 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote: Now that is a joke for a city of only 1.5mil people.
Let that be 1.2 mill, my bad..heheh

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#42 Post by crawf » Thu May 24, 2007 10:27 pm

UrbanSG wrote:We have an outdated, poor quality, cramped hospital and all people can think about is putting an entertainment precinct on the proposed site instead. Sort of shows what people's priorities are Rolling Eyes Might change when they need the services of such a facility one day. I think a hospital could work well in that location. Sure would be nice for the patients. As a visitor to RAH I find it really sad for people I have visited and not just because they are sick!

If designed well the hospital could have an awesome impact on Adelaide's northern skyline too. Plus they are suggesting a site all the way to the old Adelaide Gaol, that is a huge area. I am sure there could be room for entertainment too in areas. Get over the stadium idea, AAMI and Adelaide Oval are upgrading I doubt anything will happen on that front. I want action on the railyards and I don't think this proposal is bad for this area, maybe not optimal but not terrible either. Plus if this did happen it would be a public/private partnership not all money would be provided directly by the government.
Here Here mate
It would be great to see the old RAH site turned to parklands. The views of the RAH buildings from the Botanic Gardens are terrible. Get rid of those buildings. Parklands there would be great instead.
For the RAH site, I reckon the best development for the site could be a student//tourism precinct incorporating the Botanic Gardens. With 30-40% of land made apart of the Botanic Gardens. Maybe have a Interactive Science Centre built there aswell.

Back to the proposed new RAH site, the railway yards is a massive site so maybe the State Government could build the hospital at the far western end of the site (right near the old gaol) and have a entertainment/tourism precinct on the eastern end with apartments and offices - that could work.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#43 Post by Snorkie » Thu May 24, 2007 11:37 pm

If i may, no one can think of a better site to put the RAH? Just off the top of my head, doesnt the Australia Post hq on west terrace take up almost an entire, if not an entire city block? That building makes me sick every time i drive past it (cause i work just down the road). Dont know what you guys think, but in my opinion have Aus post moved, and demolish that eyesore, and put the RAH there, which could then also involve a tram loop down west terrace and back up grote st. Probably unrealistic, but a much better idea in my opinion.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#44 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 pm

the only thing is wih this ptopasal... both the RAH and the post office need to be in working order untill they move to thier new locations.... this can't happen if the RAH will take the place of the post office,...

the only way around it i think, would be to build the new post office somewhere first, then the new RAH could be built..... then the old RAH site could then be developed after the move was complete... seem's like it would take a while...

although doesn't the post office have to be in a central location also...so its not really solving the problem... just handballing it on...?
but i spose it wouldnt hurt it if it moved to bowden or sumthng.... but not sure...

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#45 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:54 pm

Im getting a headache trying to think how we will pull that one off.

But a good idea none the less! :lol: