Adelaide University - Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Uni: COM Engineering, PRO Union Hall, UC Hughes

#256 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:41 pm

I can assure you that Scott Theatre is still being used as a theatre. Also, "life is too short for student politics," especially in a construction forum!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm

I'll take your word for it, Atd. I haven't looked at Scott Theatre for myself, but relied on the opinion of others. I did try to ring Mark from the Adelaide Uni bookings department to confirm what I'd heard, but got no answer despite leaving messages for three days. There was no-one else at Adelaide Uni who was able to comment.

As to student politics, I know from experience that the way it is conducted is cynical, selfish and brutal. Student interests come dead last; the game is about demonstrating your political skills in order to impress pre-selectors of your side in the Big Sandpit of state politics.

To be honest, I think the only student politicians who do not treat university politics as a stepping stone to the power and prizes of adult politics are the extreme Left and the extreme Right. Mad as they may be, they often actually have a genuine philosophical commitment to a cause other than getting a job as a party lackey, with the ultimate intention of planting their bums on the leather of a parliamentary seat.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#258 Post by Will » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Some new images of the replacement of Union Hall, from the Hames Sharley website:
This newly proposed building will enable the University of Adelaide to further extend its current position as a world leader in the research of soft glass optical fibre and also facilitate a trans-disciplinary role in the transfer and exchange of knowledge in the scientific community. As a scientific hub it is envisaged that the facility will be a catalyst for paradigm-changing new technology across a broad spectrum ranging from health and industrial to defence applications.

The facility will include spaces capable of supporting not only the exchange of ideas, but also include laboratories able to facilitate research within the domain of physics, chemistry and biology at the north terrace campus. Located in the heart of the campus, the technical aspects and presence of the site will make for a project which will test and challenge the design team at various levels.

Hames Sharley has been appointed in consortium with BVN to lead the consultancy group in delivering this exciting new world class facility

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#259 Post by AG » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:17 pm

The building replacing Union Hall now has a working building name of Illumin8.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Uni: #COM Innova21, #APP Illumin8, #U/C Hughes

#260 Post by Will » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:09 pm

From the Advertiser:
$97m University of Adelaide science hub a boon for jobs

Christopher Russell, Business editor From: The Advertiser April 02, 2011 12:00AM

An architect's impression of the University of Adelaide building which will house the Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing. Source: AdelaideNow

BUILDING a $97 million research institute will create thousands of jobs, the University of Adelaide says.

A six-level, glass-fronted building is the centrepiece of the Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing project being funded by the university and state and federal governments.

"The redevelopment will generate great scientific advances, top teaching and research facilities," said the university's vice-president services and resources, Paul Duldig.

He estimated the development would add $230 million to the state economy, with more than 2000 jobs being created during the peak of the construction phase.

The building, on the site where the Union Hall was demolished last year, is being designed by Adelaide architects Hames Sharley.

The university says the building will have a striking presence with a "gentle, folded, glazed facade that reflects and refracts light".

Each floor will vary by exploiting differences in wavelengths of light, and linking to the research team headed by South Australian of the Year Tanya Monro.

As well as the institute, it will house a 400-seat lecture theatre and laboratories.

The Public Works Committee this week approved funding of $5 million for capital works, which is in addition to $1.5 million from Defence SA and $750,000 from the Premier's Science and Research Fund for equipment.

"The University of Adelaide is a world leader in photonics research and the IPAS will allow it to continue its outstanding work in areas as diverse as defence, reproductive health and the wine industry," Science and Information Economy Minister Jay Weatherill said.

Opposition science spokesman Martin Hamilton-Smith supported the investment but said it highlighted poor Budget decisions.

Funding to research bodies, such as BioInnovation SA, had been cut while millions of dollars had been spent on government office fit-outs.

"The state Liberals are calling on Labor to bring forward more science-based infrastructure projects as a catalyst for economic growth," he said. This should include a funding pool to support Australian Research Council bids.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Uni: #COM Innova21, #U/C Illumin8, #U/C Hughes

#261 Post by Will » Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 pm

It appears that Baulderstone will be building the Illumin8 building.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#262 Post by AG » Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I should really be keeping this thread up to date, since I pass the construction site pretty much every day. The diaphragm walls are going in, compaction and excavation works are taking place currently as well.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#263 Post by AG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:23 pm

The tower crane for Illumin8 was being erected today with the cab, A-frame and boom being lifted into place this afternoon.

metro
Legendary Member!

#264 Post by metro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Hughes Plaza learning hub is all finished and now open. :D

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#265 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Turned out good?

Pics!

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Adelaide University - Developments & News

#266 Post by Dog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm

-
Last edited by Dog on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide University - Developments & News

#267 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 am

You do have to admit, it is a better outcome than had the Union Hall remained. It was a risky move but I think it's paid off in the end.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.