[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#211 Post by Phantom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 pm

I thought that too, but the more I stare at it blankly, the more I seem to feel neutral about it. Sorry if this has already been asked, but what exactly will this building be home to? Like, will it be part of a gym there, or something?

Will the bottom floor of it be used for retail?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#212 Post by slenderman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm

How has this one actually been progressing? Has much happened with the jewel box addition? I haven't been around that part of town lately so an update would be nice.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#213 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Phantom wrote:
I thought that too, but the more I stare at it blankly, the more I seem to feel neutral about it. Sorry if this has already been asked, but what exactly will this building be home to? Like, will it be part of a gym there, or something?

Will the bottom floor of it be used for retail?
I'd say it'll have an drop-off/pick-up point at the side with a foyer that will take people down a hallway to the elevators located in the center of the building, either a roof-top pool or garden, or an indoor pool, and a gym and restaurant located in the other levels.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#214 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 am

slenderman wrote:How has this one actually been progressing? Has much happened with the jewel box addition? I haven't been around that part of town lately so an update would be nice.
From memory, I think a lot of it is actually covered with a large tarp, so it's kinda hard to see. But they have been doing this for a while and it's not really that big, you know? I can't see this taking ages from this point in time. (But I was pretty much running to a bus, so I didn't really get to see a great view of it)
Patrick_27 wrote:I'd say it'll have an drop-off/pick-up point at the side with a foyer that will take people down a hallway to the elevators located in the center of the building, either a roof-top pool or garden, or an indoor pool, and a gym and restaurant located in the other levels.
Yeah, that's the sorta shit I figured would be in there. It certainly doesn't seem like anyone would want a room based in there, unless they were a massive fan of a room whose windows resemble pop art.

Also, 100th post. I'm such a forum-junkie. :D
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#215 Post by slenderman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are they building something on the roof of the CML? Driving along Morphett Street today, I could've sworn there was this yellow thing with windows on the roof at the back of the CML. Can anyone please confirm/clarify/whatever?

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#216 Post by fkj » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:46 am

Ben wrote:I recommend those of you that have facebook "like" the below group. Urban exploration Adelaide. They climb many of our buildings and post some photos of sights you would not normally see.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Urbanexplor ... de?fref=ts

Here is some of the CML building.

My mate, who took the above photos, and I went back in a week after this, we were spotted on the roof by someone in the Hindley St Carpark and old bill came and got us :oops: 2 court dates later we're all clear, I think the view and looking around was almost worth the trouble. Can't wait to have a look around- legally this time- when it's all done and dusted.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#217 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 am

Nathan wrote:
Ben wrote:new render including proposed signage which ACC plan to reject at Tuesdays meeting.
Any reason they plan to reject? Differences look minimal to what has been approved.
perhaps the ACC Instinctive response to a developer asking any question is No? :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#218 Post by slenderman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Article on adelaidenow says that the hotel could possibly be open by the end of May. It also said that the jewellery box addition thingy will house hotel rooms and there will be a cafe and three high end retailers at street level, if those things haven't been stated already.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#219 Post by Ben » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Crane came down today?

Heath Loxton
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#220 Post by Heath Loxton » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi,
I went to the CBD yesterday and I noticed that work is well underway on this hotel with new windows and lots of scaffolding having been installed on this building.

does anyone know an estimated completion date?

Cheers, Heath Loxton. :)
Cheers, Heath Loxton. :)

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by stronic » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 pm

I can't be the only one who dislikes this building. It looks like a claustrophobic box and not in the slim 'New York skyscraper' way. :sly:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#222 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm

stronic wrote:I can't be the only one who dislikes this building. It looks like a claustrophobic box and not in the slim 'New York skyscraper' way. :sly:
I think you might be. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#223 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 am

stronic wrote:I can't be the only one who dislikes this building. It looks like a claustrophobic box and not in the slim 'New York skyscraper' way. :sly:
it is probably my favorite building in Adelaide, closely followed by the Gawler Chambers.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by Dvious » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:47 am

getout.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by slenderman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Get used to it. This building will still be here for many, many more years to come.

However, you do raise a good point about the building which I dislike. Firstly, from what I understand, it was built in the early 1930s (1934 was it?) and in the late 30s it was doubled in width. That's fine, but it did make the building boxier than its Brisbane and Perth (Perth one now demolished) counterparts. However, that's not my main gripe. What I dislike is in the 1980s mutilation of the building. Apart from presumably removing the heritage interior, they merged many of the windows on the building into each other. If you look at the top floors of the building and how they have two parallel windows not attached to each other, that was how all the other windows used to look. I might not have worded that very eloquently, but if you see 1950s/1960s shots of the building, you'll see what I mean. IMO the building looked MUCH better with the double windows.

My point is, would it have been possible for them to have restored these windows back to the way they originally looked, or would that have looked like a tacky "new" addition because they would've used different stone? If it had been possible, I think this would have helped restore this building to its former glory. Just my thoughts,