[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Rydges Hotel

#121 Post by skyliner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I really like this bldg- has a real downtown 1930's uSA CBD look. Glad rthe shards are gone but one wonders ...what now? Any renders about?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

joy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#122 Post by joy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Owner operated at this stage.

Renders going to ACC soon.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#123 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:09 pm

This development is advertised in today's Building Tenders section of the Advertiser.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm confused... Joy can you shed any light? Does this mean the hotel proposal is not going ahead?
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/936/2011
Lodgement Date: 11/11/2011
Description: Fit out to convert existing Offices to Office/Mental Health training space.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#125 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 am

Extra confused. love the addition.
Jewel box to sparkle in city centre
by: Business Reporter Belinda Willis From:
The Advertiser November 15, 2011
An artist's impression of the redesigned Colonial Mutual Life building on King William Street, Adelaide. Picture supplied by JPE Design

ADELAIDE'S run-down Colonial Mutual Life building on King William St is being prepared for its new life as a 175-room luxury hotel.

A $35 million revamp of the heritage-listed building is planned to begin in February next year and will include a lightweight steel and glass "geometric jewel box" on its southern side.

JPE Design Studio, the architectural firm behind the award-winning Wave and Edge offices and apartments further along King William St near South Tce, has created the design plans that are awaiting final approval by Adelaide City Council.

"We wanted the extension to look like a modern 21st century expression," studio director Adrian Evans said.

"We're not trying to copy the old buildings but we are trying to be respectful of the two heritage buildings either side."

Mr Evans said the plans were out for tender until December 12, with developer Adabco keen to start work on the 1930s building on the corner of Hindley St which has been empty for most of the past five years.

The landmark 15-storey building was last renovated in the 1980s but its interior offices were gutted two years ago, leaving "a bare shell of floors, slabs and columns".

In the past, the address has been home to Radio 5DN and the Charles Sturt Tavern in its basement off Hindley St.

Mr Evans said the grand building facade, first designed by Hennessy, Hennessy & Co in the 1930s, was described as Romanesque and built from precast Benedict stone made in Brisbane by Benedictine monks.

It is embellished with extensive stone mouldings and carvings of animal heads.

"We have planned an executive lounge with outdoor terraces on the top two floors where there is a Spanish tiled roof pavilion on top," Mr Smith said.

It is the second inner-city hotel building planned to kick off next year, with SA developer Hines Property, owner of the $100 million Crowne Plaza Adelaide hotel in Hindmarsh Square, also hoping to begin work on a 17-storey hotel in Grenfell St.

The site, at 122 Grenfell St, neighbours the Adelaide and Gays arcades on the corner of Twin St, and would include 300 rooms and suites, food and beverage facilities, conference and meeting space, guest lounge and business facilities and a fitness centre.

Mr Smith said converting the Colonial Mutual Life building into a hotel will be completed by June 2013.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#126 Post by jk1237 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:16 am

I like the box

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#127 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah it looks great.

Cant wait for this to get up and running. Should really make a positive impact on the street
South Australia the Festival State

rhino

#128 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 am

jk1237 wrote:I like the box
What he said.

The main reason I like it is because it's so different to the CML building, it's not even pretending to copy it. It's saying "Here I am, I was built much later and am not part of the original building".
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

[COM] Re: U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Hotel

#129 Post by skyliner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 am

Glad those glass shards are gone - replaced by 3 glass arches it appears - complements the style of the bldg far more effectively. Those shards looked like an accident had happened - no geometric restraint towards the old style already there.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

metro
Legendary Member!

#130 Post by metro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

the box gets my tick of approval, but I just wish they would start!!

also, does the box get lit up with pretty lights at night? :D

[Shuz]

#131 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 am

Awesome stuff!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#132 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 am

We have planned an executive lounge with outdoor terraces on the top two floors where there is a Spanish tiled roof pavilion on top
this is an exciting aspect. The rooftop is already attractive in its own right. Anyone in westpac house want to take a couple of pikkies? Otherwise i'll do so when i'm next on lvl 30 in 2-3 weeks time.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#133 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm curious what function the 'box' will have. Will it also contain hotel rooms? Restaurant or bar? A rooftop bar on it would also have been cool.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#134 Post by crawf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I love the box. Now just get started!

Wonder if the box will include a retail tenancy on the ground floor, that would be perfect an upmarket brand

Waewick

#135 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 pm

yes right in front of the street preachers and bus stop :hilarious: