[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Hotel

#136 Post by Omicron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Ooh, I love the box! The contrast between old and new is marvellous. Approve, please.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by Will » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm going to go against the trend and state that I really do not like the glass box addition. It looks like Opalfield House!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#138 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

Will wrote:I'm going to go against the trend and state that I really do not like the glass box addition. It looks like Opalfield House!
I'm with Will here. It looks quite ugly to me! Also looks like it'll date really quickly.

I agree with the concept of a modern steel and glass contrasting structure, just reckon the design is solution is poor and could be considerably improved.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by Adelarch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:39 am

I keep looking at it trying to like it but at the end of the day I'm not a huge fan either TBH, pattern looks a bit too disco-ballish and I agree with ml69 that it may be prone to rapid ageing. May turn out better than I'm thinking though and atleast from a philosophical perspective they've had a crack at something a bit out of the ordinary. Personally I loved the shards but ah well

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

[COM] U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Hotel

#140 Post by dsriggs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:01 am

It's going to depend on what materials they actually use for it, because designs that look great on paper can look horrible with the wrong glass etc. & vice versa.

I think we can all agree that it's a DRASTIC improvement on what's there now, though.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by Will » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 pm

From the JPE website:
CML Hotel Conversion: JPE have been appointed as architects and interior designers for the $35m conversion of the historic CML building at 45 King William Street. Originally built in the late 1920's and early 1930's as offices for Colonial Mutual Life, this wonderful Adelaide landmark is ideally located to become one of our great hotels. We are working with Adabco, the owners and operators of the hotel. The basement, ground and first floors will house public facilities such as bar, restaurant, reception, high class retail, function rooms and meeting rooms as well as back of house services. An executive lounge is planned for the top of the building with an associated outdoor terrace enjoying stunning views across the city. Our design inspiration comes from the style and grace of the existing building as well as references back to the era of the 1930's. A grand curved staircase of polished stainless steel with rich red carpet connects the three public floors. Onyx stone in large slabs will be used to create the reception desk, the concierge desk and bars as another rich unifying element within the hotel. Adabco were also our client for the Wave and Edge projects and we thank them for their continued loyalty to JPE and commend them for their ongoing commitment to the City of Adelaide.

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#142 Post by mrblackrooster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 pm

awesome. :applause:

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by baytram366 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 am

Sounds pretty good to me. Nice to finally see a developer actually looking at the existing structure for ideas and by that post from their website, seems like they really want to do their research and try to add a 1930's edge to the project. I hope it does get the go ahead and starts soon. To have a stunning building in such a prime location vacant for so long should be a crime
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Omicron

#144 Post by Omicron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Will wrote:From the JPE website:
CML Hotel Conversion: JPE have been appointed as architects and interior designers for the $35m conversion of the historic CML building at 45 King William Street. Originally built in the late 1920's and early 1930's as offices for Colonial Mutual Life, this wonderful Adelaide landmark is ideally located to become one of our great hotels. We are working with Adabco, the owners and operators of the hotel. The basement, ground and first floors will house public facilities such as bar, restaurant, reception, high class retail, function rooms and meeting rooms as well as back of house services. An executive lounge is planned for the top of the building with an associated outdoor terrace enjoying stunning views across the city. Our design inspiration comes from the style and grace of the existing building as well as references back to the era of the 1930's. A grand curved staircase of polished stainless steel with rich red carpet connects the three public floors. Onyx stone in large slabs will be used to create the reception desk, the concierge desk and bars as another rich unifying element within the hotel. Adabco were also our client for the Wave and Edge projects and we thank them for their continued loyalty to JPE and commend them for their ongoing commitment to the City of Adelaide.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by Vee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I can't wait to see this iconic building refurbished and operational. It is a real landmark and deserves to be restored and upgraded to become one of our best buildings in the city.
Such a waste to see it languishing for so many years now.

The Adabco mentioned as the owner/operator also operate the boutique hotel in Wakefield St?
This building has intrigued me but I have never ventured inside. Has anyone got any information/insights on this hotel?
http://www.adabcohotel.com.au/index.php

Omicron

#146 Post by Omicron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Vee wrote:I can't wait to see this iconic building refurbished and operational. It is a real landmark and deserves to be restored and upgraded to become one of our best buildings in the city.
Such a waste to see it languishing for so many years now.

The Adabco mentioned as the owner/operator also operate the boutique hotel in Wakefield St?
This building has intrigued me but I have never ventured inside. Has anyone got any information/insights on this hotel?
http://www.adabcohotel.com.au/index.php
For a while now it has been one of the highest-rated Adelaide hotels on Trip Advisor, so whatever they're doing for the money, it must be working.

joy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#147 Post by joy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Development was approved on Monday by ACC DAP but not without wretched ill considered comments by a certain councillor! who tried to kill the project.

Thank god for people with vision and intelligence on the panel.

Close call though Adelaide.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#148 Post by ml69 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:52 am

joy wrote:Development was approved on Monday by ACC DAP but not without wretched ill considered comments by a certain councillor! who tried to kill the project.

Thank god for people with vision and intelligence on the panel.

Close call though Adelaide.
Seriously, I don't believe councillors should sit on the DAP at all. Members should be an impartial panel with no vested political interests.

Waewick

#149 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 am

lets face it - the most progressive thing this council thinks it has ever done is push al fresco eating in the streets

an idea which is only 2000 years old :hilarious:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#150 Post by Will » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm

joy wrote:Development was approved on Monday by ACC DAP but not without wretched ill considered comments by a certain councillor! who tried to kill the project.

Although to be expected, I had a look through the ACC DAP minutes to see who was the councillor that tried to kill off this project. Surprise, surprise, it was..... Sandy Wilkinson. :wallbash: