[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bike19
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Rydges Hotel

#106 Post by bike19 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:42 am

i was in there yesterday (woo, another belt notch :P) and had a look around

i heard people working on the interior, so sounds like work is being done. its been pretty well gutted and there was no signs of squatters having been there in the past month or two at least.

EDIT: just saw those renders. OMFG, why do they feel the need to uglify this building???
the crappy extension was bad enough, but now some crack addict is thinking some glass shards would be a good addition?

maybe im just not 'hip' enough to see how awesome it will be? lol

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#107 Post by crawf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm

I think the glass shards have the potential to look fantastic. Old vs new type of thing

Much better than the current ugly awnings. BTW that's great to hear work could be finally beginning!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#108 Post by Will » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 am

From the City Messenger:
City landmark to get makeover

Business15 Sep 11 @ 06:30am by TIM WILLIAMS

Architect Adrian Evans designs for the Colonial Mutual Life Building will see it converted to a hotel.

ONE of Adelaide’s most prominent historic landmarks, the 1930s Colonial Mutual Life building on the corner of King William and Hindley streets, is set to finally be transformed into a high class hotel.

Developer Adabco expects to start work on the $35 million project by the end of the year. Architect Adrian Evans, on behalf of Adabco, said a 4.5 star rating would be sought for the 174-room hotel.

“The plan is to get a builder on site by Christmas and in the next 18 months get the building completed,” Mr Evans said. “That corner is the only one in the city that captures daytime activity and the nightlife.

“It’s a fabulous location and a beautiful building.”

From 2002, Adabco began terminating office leases in the building, which has been fully vacant for the past five years, with a view to converting it into a hotel.

It was gutted in 2008/09 before the project was shelved due to the global financial crisis.

Mr Evans said amendments to the existing approved plans would be lodged with the City Council within days, including for using the basement for a kitchen, bar and retail space, instead of a food court.

He was confident the project would go ahead this time, with onyx slabs for the reception and bar areas already imported from China, and furniture from Melbourne.

“Even the lift cars are already here from the US.”

The top two floors would have more expensive rooms with access to an executive lounge with an outdoor terrace, Mr Evans said.

The main lobby would feature a polished stainless steel staircase, while the five-storey, 1980s extension on the King William St side would have two extra floors added and a new facade.

The CML building, with a mix of neo-gothic and art deco features, was Adelaide’s tallest until 1969.

The style of the hotel would be “referencing the 1930s, the art deco, but I think you’d call it comfortable modern”, Mr Evans said.

The building had a major renovation in the 1980s, removing most of the original, internal features.

“What’s remaining of the heritage is really the exterior only,” Mr Evans said.

It was now properly secured after problems with vandals.

“We’ve had a lot of vagrants, graffiti artists and so on.”

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#109 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm

The building had a major renovation in the 1980s, removing most of the original, internal features.

“What’s remaining of the heritage is really the exterior only,” Mr Evans said
What a shame.

Nevertheless that's brilliant news that it's finally going ahead. Now can we please return life to the other derelict beauty on King William Street, former Westpac building.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#110 Post by bm7500 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:26 pm

crawf wrote:

“What’s remaining of the heritage is really the exterior only,” Mr Evans said
What a shame.

Nevertheless that's brilliant news that it's finally going ahead. Now can we please return life to the other derelict beauty on King William Street, former Westpac building.
+1
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#111 Post by skyliner » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

crawf wrote:I think the glass shards have the potential to look fantastic. Old vs new type of thing

Much better than the current ugly awnings. BTW that's great to hear work could be finally beginning!
Glass shards would be good illuminated internally....however, I'm more for preserving the architectural integrity of the bldg.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#112 Post by SRW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 am

Will wrote:From the City Messenger:
Mr Evans said amendments to the existing approved plans would be lodged with the City Council within days, including for using the basement for a kitchen, bar and retail space, instead of a food court.
That sounds like a much better idea. And thank heavens something might finally begin to happen!
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#113 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:46 am

Oooh, another underground bar.
I do hope they serve cocktails and other assorted merriments. Such fun!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#114 Post by bm7500 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 am

[Shuz] wrote:Oooh, another underground bar.
Shuz, that sounds just like somthing Omi would say lol :wink:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

[Shuz]

#115 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

bm7500 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Oooh, another underground bar.
Shuz, that sounds just like somthing Omi would say lol :wink:
If one knowest thy Omi, thoust shall speak of thy Omi.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Omicron

#116 Post by Omicron » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 pm

My reputation precedes me, it would seem.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 am

Application Number: DA/461/2007/A
Lodgement Date: 19/09/2011
Description: Vary previous authorisation to carry out alterations to existing building and change the use to hotel accommodation with ground floor retail and basement food court - VARIATION
Applicant Name: ADABCO PROPERTIES P/L C/- Trice Project Management, 95 Halifax St, ADELAIDE SA 5000

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#118 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Not sure if the work on the exterior has commenced, but I saw 3 people hanging along the King William St frontage today.

There was also a man in a business suit standing on top of the canopy aswell. :S

joy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#119 Post by joy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Yes It's all go at present. Not Rydges now.
Let's hope this time it really happens and gives this grand old building a respected new life.
Work should start in the new year.
Shards are gone.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by ml69 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am

joy wrote:Yes It's all go at present. Not Rydges now.
Let's hope this time it really happens and gives this grand old building a respected new life.
Work should start in the new year.
Shards are gone.
What is it going to be if its not Rydges?