[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: SWP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#811 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Shahkar wrote:
BILLIONAIRE property developer Lang Walker has walked away from a plan to jointly develop the long-abandoned former Le Cornu site at North Adelaide.

The state's richest man, Con Makris, has promised to deliver the $200 million project alone, with construction expected to start as early as next January.

Tensions between two of the country's richest men emerged in January, when Mr Makris publicly aired his frustration with Mr Walker's delays, and threatened to go it alone at the site, which has been vacant since 1989.

Makris Group chief executive John Blunt confirmed the short-lived partnership had ended less than a year after it was struck.

"I think he may have just lost interest," Mr Blunt said.

"Whether they were held up with Riverbank (the city Riverbank precinct project) - I'm not sure."

Premier Jay Weatherill confirmed yesterday the Government would soon determine whether it would proceed with Mr Walker's plans for the redevelopment of Festival Plaza. Mr Walker was expected to manage the residential component of the mixed-use North Adelaide development but Mr Makris will now take over control of the entire project.

Mr Blunt said plans were progressing, with approval expected in October. The revised plans included serviced apartments and retail space anchored by a supermarket or a whole-foods market focused on natural produce.

"We want to make it Adelaide's gourmet centre because there's nothing quite like that in Adelaide," he said.

"We're working with the Government Architect and referral authorities and looking to lodge a development application formally in August. Since he (Walker) walked away from the project, I must say Con is probably more committed now than ever before."

Mr Blunt did not rule out the arrival of a major European department store.

Earlier this month, Mr Makris said he was "ready to roll" once given the green light by the State Government's Development Assessment Commission.

"That's the promise - Con Makris to the people of Adelaide," he said at the time. "I want to have the bulldozers here by January."

Walker Corporation declined to comment.
Serviced apartments, a supermarket and a food market...wow, that was worth the wait. :roll:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: ONH: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#812 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 pm

I think more to the point was that bit of news is almost an entire year old, and contained this quote:
"That's the promise - Con Makris to the people of Adelaide," he said at the time. "I want to have the bulldozers here by January."
:applause:

Waewick

#813 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:55 pm

To be fair. They did knock buildings down

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#814 Post by Wayno » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Update from InDaily (Nov 28)
Con Makris's latest plans for the Le Cornu site will be released soon.

ADELAIDE | A grand plan to finally fill the gaping Le Cornu site on O’Connell Street will be released soon, possibly as early as next week.

InDaily understands the Makris Group is ready to release its plans for the site which will include retail, residential, a boutique hotel and a car park.

The property developers have been in negotiations with the State Government on the site, which has been vacant since 1989.

Because of the size of the site and the value of the development, the proposal will go straight to the Development Assessment Commission rather than the Adelaide City Council.

InDaily understands the Makris Group will display its plans at the North Adelaide Village shopping centre.

The development is likely to have a mix of building heights across the vast site.

The developers wouldn’t talk today about the imminent release of its plans, however, in August, Makris Group general manager Steve Ploubidis told InDaily that negotiations on the site were well-advanced.

“We are well down the path of negotiating with Government to revitalise North Adelaide,” he said.

“Adelaide needs private cranes in the air and we plan to deliver.”

He said on 25 August that the Makris team had met with the Development Assessment Commission and the State Government in the past week.

DAC is the independent statutory body which reviews development proposals.

The Le Cornu site was granted major project status in May 2007 when a hotel/apartment complex was proposed. It was put on hold when the Global Financial Crisis hit in late 2008.

Ploubidis said in August the new concept was a more advanced version of the 2007 proposal.

“We have done substantial work on North Adelaide. We met with DAC last week and plan to release architectural drawings when we go to full public consultation in November.

“We’ll actually have a shop front where people can see the design and ask questions.

“Then we’ll finalise the concept and lodge the formal submission early in the New Year.

“Once we have approval, then we can finalise the negotiations with a hotel group, the supermarket operators and commence pre-sales of apartments.

“Everyone involved is very excited with this project.”

In February this year the Makris Group sold its shopping centre in Bonnyigg, Sydney, to “cash-up” for the North Adelaide project.

The Le Cornu site remains one of Adelaide’s eyesores.

In 1989 the Le Cornu furniture store was demolished. Since then there have been seven development proposals. After each one failed, the developer sold the site.

Con Makris has held the site since 2001.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#815 Post by Alyx » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Okay, Con. Whatever you say.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: APP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#816 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Back from April 2010 (4 and a half years ago)... he is full of hot air and another substance... :toilet:

I won't belive anything that comes out of his mouth. He has really let the people of Adelaide down here. After years of blaming the council, it is more than apparent there was just one man holding this site back.
Will wrote:
From the Advertiser:
Finally, work will start on old Le Cornu site

AARON MacDONALD From: The Advertiser April 21, 2010 12:01AM

Con Makris finally ready to begin work on the O'Connell St LeCornu site after 22 years. Picture: Mark Brake Source: AdelaideNow

DEVELOPMENT on the former Le Cornu site in North Adelaide will begin tomorrow - after 22 years.

Bulldozers will begin demolishing buildings on the O'Connell St block. Developer Con Makris will build a $170 million, multi-storey boutique hotel, apartment and retail complex.

"Twenty-two years - it's a very long time," he said.

"It will be a big day for me. I'm very excited. The people of Adelaide deserve the best, and that is what I will bring them. This will be the heart of Adelaide.

"Every city has a street that it is known for. I want O'Connell St to be that street."

Le Cornu vacated the site in 1988. In 2001, the Makris Group acquired it and other buildings on the same block.

Since then, Mr Makris said he had spent more than $30 million just holding on to the site as he sought planning approval from Adelaide City Council.

Mr Makris said the project only materialised because the State Government granted major project status. "For 22 years, I have fought with them," he said. "It is the biggest disgrace in Adelaide's history."

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison was not available for comment.

North Adelaide councillor Anne Moran, an opponent of the development, said: "Building something like this out on the periphery just sucks the life out of the city. It's too big for this dormitory suburb. On the plus side, we won't have to look at that vacant block any more."

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#817 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Compare the indaily article with the Advertiser article.

indaily lays out the truth of the matter. Advertiser makes it look like the council was to blame and they roll out Moron for an off the cuff negative comment.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#818 Post by rev » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:48 pm

To be fair, didn't the council knock back several proposals Makris Group had for the site?

I agree he should have pulled his finger out and done something with the site by now especially since the state gov stepped in.
But then again, didn't he say he would leave the site empty as it is for another 20 years as basically a big F U to the council? Still, not good enough when you consider the location.
I wonder how having a site like that near his north adelaide village shopping center affect his business there?

This site, along with his demands the state government fund road infrastructure upgrades on KI and around Glenelg before he commits to going ahead with a ferry terminal are bullshit.
On one site he is sitting on his hands doing nothing, on another 'site' he is trying to black mail the government to spend tax payers money that will benefit his business interests. Fuck off.

Nathan

#819 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:37 pm

All his previous proposals, prior to the state government taking over, were approved by the council.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#820 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:47 pm

rev wrote:To be fair, didn't the council knock back several proposals Makris Group had for the site?
And this is what's wrong with our mainstream media. They tell porkies often enough until it becomes the truth.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#821 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:28 am

I'll believe it when I see bricks and mortar going up. Until then, its all a load of hot air.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#822 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:23 pm

plans for the site which will include retail, residential, a boutique hotel and a car park.

Well that was predictable.

I've been thinking about the site recently. I rarely if ever travel to North Adelaide but dropped in there a week ago and realised that the immediate precinct along O'Connell needs some open space. The area at the southeastern corner of Collins/Swanston Street provides a reasonable example.

Comparison: Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#823 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:16 am

New $200m plans released today. Appears a radical change of design - anyone know who are the architects?

PeFe

#824 Post by PeFe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:17 am

From the 'Tiser
Makris Group unveils new $200m plans for the former Le Cornu site

artist impression of the proposed $200 million redevelopment for the old Le Cornu site in North Adelaide. Picture: Makris Group

•City councillors unveil padoga plan for former Le Cornu site
•Billionaire Lang Walker ‘loses interest’ in site

ONE of Adelaide’s most controversial sites will be transformed into a luxury apartment, retail and hotel complex under ambitious plans worth more than $200 million from the state’s richest man.

Property tycoon Con Makris will on Monday unveil plans to bring his dream of redeveloping the former Le Cornu site on O’Connell St to life.

The release of the plans is the first step in ending a 25-year saga over the prime North Adelaide site.

“It is the highlight of my business life,” Mr Makris said. “It is a legacy that I would like to leave behind.

“I want to bring my dream to life.”

The new Makris Group plans for the 7500sq m site, released exclusively to The Advertiser, include constructing eight buildings and a three-level underground car park.

The apartment buildings will surround a large-scale piazza while the site will also include 6000sq m of office and retail space as well as a luxury six-level boutique hotel.

The plans, to be lodged with the State Government within weeks, also include high-end retailers, an up-market supermarket, restaurants and cafes.

If approved by the State Government’s Development Assessment Commission — bypassing Adelaide City Council because of its size and value — construction will end one of the most contentious issues in South Australia for almost three decades.

The eyesore, once dubbed Adelaide’s “Bermuda Triangle”, has lain empty for more than 25 years since the Le Cornu furniture and carpet store was sold to a development consortium.

A string of developers’ plans have failed, including a $40 million shopping centre proposed by merchant bank Tricontinental and Oberdan family’s Kellyvale Group in 1989 and a $22 million retail building in 1992, amid bitter wrangles and a landmark legal challenge in the 1990s.

The prime site, vacant since April 1989, is now an open, grassy lot in the middle of one of the city’s leading retail strips.

“This is not just another building, another shopping precinct,” Mr Makris said.

“It will be something that I want to be proud of, something that I want all of Adelaide to share with me.

“It shows that I have confidence in the future of South Australia. It shows that a private developer is willing to invest in our state.”

Mr Makris, who has previously described the saga as the “biggest disgrace in Adelaide’s history”, said the development

“It will be a very special destination which the entire Adelaide community will be proud of, a place which will attract interstate and overseas visitors,” he said.

“I have said before that my vision is to create something fantastic, something out of this world.

“This by far is something that I have been thinking of for many years.”

Under the plans, which have been briefed to city council chief executive Peter Smith and Lord Mayor Martin Haese, the complex includes several apartment buildings of varying height, including one that is 15 storeys high.

While its size is likely to provoke a fresh community backlash, because the site is more than 1500sq m, there are no height restrictions.

Mr Makris said he would work the community and encourage input on the project.

“It is important that the project should be looked at as a whole development and not just the height of one building,” he said.

“Let’s not forget that there are eight separate buildings and a beautiful open piazza which people can sit back and enjoy themselves.

“We could not have done this under the previous planning rules. The open gardens, trees and seating would not have existed.

“It would have been just a concrete and glass box development.”

The developers, who have taken advice from the Department of Planning, will build 131 apartments, ranging from luxury penthouses to more affordable one-bedroom flats.

They plan to spend at least $3 million extra building a special canopy around the tallest structure to ensure it blends with local architecture and is environmentally friendly.

The Makris Group, which has spent at least $30 million on the site since purchasing it in 2001 from Wallis Cinemas, has received nine formal tenders from hotel chains across the globe to operate the complex including several leading international companies.

The company is also in negotiations with Romeo’s Retail Group, which operate a business opposite, to run a boutique supermarket on the site similar to the successful overseas Whole Foods organic food chain.

Dozens of interstate and overseas retailers, including elite fashion houses, are also interested in moving in.

The car park, which will have a separate entrance and exit, will contain 440 spaces while negotiations are ongoing with the council to potentially increase that number for its U-Park business.

The Markis Group would not be drawn on comments in August when Mr Makris threatened to drop his proposed Kangaroo Island to Glenelg ferry if development approval was not granted for the former Le Cornu site.

The plans, which will not use any taxpayer funds, will be subject to a fortnight public consultation process, before being lodged with the Development Assessment Commission.

Since 2008, the Development Assessment Commission has been handed approval powers for developments exceeding $10 million in the City of Adelaide.

Jobs to flow from the start

THE Makris Group expects construction of the O’Connell St development to take about two years and create more than 700 jobs.

Once completed it is expected to create hundreds more jobs in retail and hospitality.

The group has been working on the plans for the past three years and has spent almost $1 million in the process.

In 2005, Mr Makris unveiled a $100 million luxury complex intended to transform the site.

But his plans never got off the ground and have been marred by financial problems in the wake of the global financial crisis, design changes and wrangles with residents and the council over height limits.

An artist’s impression of the proposed $200 million redevelopment in North Adelaide. Picture: Makris Group

Mr Makris, whose personal fortune is valued at $1 billion, told The Advertiser his company had a strong commitment to the state and hoped his project would help rejuvenate the economy.

“We now believe we have the right solution for the times and the market demand to support it,” he said

Mr Makris said it was perhaps a blessing that previous plans released in 2005 were abandoned when the Global Financial Crisis hit.

“Perhaps the GFC was a blessing in that it stopped all of us in our track,” he said.

“We would not have come up with a project like what we are presenting today. It is fantastic and we should all be proud of it.”

The history of the former Le Cornu site

April 1989: 1.6ha Le Cornu Furniture store, which had been in the retail family for 134 years, sold for an undisclosed sum to merchant bank Tricontinental (Trikon) and Oberdan family’s Kellyvale Group.

October 1989: Plans approved by Adelaide City Council for a $40 million shopping centre and townhouse development.

February 1990: Kellyvale take full ownership of site after Trikon’s financial collapse.

April 1991: Planning Commission rejects complex despite modified version already approved.

December 1992: Oberdan Group reveal plans for a $22 million retail complex including a major Coles supermarket and 30 speciality shops which replaced its earlier proposal.

May 1993: State Government strips Adelaide City Council of control of site after months of bitter debate.

August 1993: Contentious plans approved by Planning Commission after developers’ appealed rejection a month earlier.

October 1993: State Government gives final approval despite claims from North Adelaide Residents Group, led by Susan Clearihan, now a city councillor, they were not consulted.

November 1993: Residents and eight companies, including Foodland, launch Supreme Court challenge, in a state first.

May 1994: Unprecedented class action dismissed by Justice Trevor Olsson.

October 1994: Appeal dismissed by Full Court of the Supreme Court.

October 1995: Demolition work begins on site’s dilapidated buildings after months of wrangling.

March 1997: State Government announces area will be rezoned from a residential/commercial

precinct to a predominantly commercial area.

June 1997: New $15 million project including group of four boutique cinemas and underground car park proposed by Wallis Theatres and Kellyvale holdings.

December 1997: Mancorp Holdings headed by developers Theo Maras and Bill Manos launch legal appeal against council’s approval, arguing project exceeded building heights. It was later resolved.

March 1998: Oberdan family’s Kellyvale Group sells site to the Wallis Theatres Group.

August 2000: O’Connell St Traders’ Association lodge formal application with the city to establish temporary car park.

November 2001: Makris Group buys site from Wallis Cinemas for an estimated $7 million after council drops bid for land.

January 2005: Makris group unveils $100m luxury complex including seven-star luxury hotel, retail shops, apartments, cinemas, restaurants and a three-level underground carpark.

May 2007: State Government fast tracks plan, takes planning control from Adelaide City Council and gives it major project status.

April 2010: Con Makris describes saga as “the biggest disgrace in Adelaide’s history” as it starts demolition work on site.

August 2010: Makris group wins two-year extension, in which substantial work was to start.

November 2011: Luxury complex plans scrapped because of global financial crisis.

December 2011: Deemed a “catalyst” site under new State Government planning laws meaning it does not have any height restrictions.

July 2012: Billionaire property developer Lang Walker and Mr Makris announce joint venture to develop the site.

January 2013: Mr Makris publicly airs frustration over delays and threatens to develop alone.

June 2013: Mr Walker walks away from joint venture plan.

August 2014: Mr Makris claims he will scuttle plans for a Glenelg-to-Kangaroo Island ferry if he fails to win development approval for the site.

October 2014: Issue dominates city elections amid calls for the council to compulsory acquire site.

December 2014: Mr Makris unveils new $200 million, eight-building development.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7140256127

metro
Legendary Member!

#825 Post by metro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Just what the city needs, more brown and beige buildings :roll:

Doubt this will be built anyway, but if it does go ahead at least it fills an almost 30 year old hole and adds some taller buildings to North Adelaide, should feel more like part of the city.