[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: #APP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed Use

#511 Post by jk1237 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:13 pm

From the photos Ive seen of the Chancery project in Auckland, it doesn't look bad at all. The SSC photographers appear to love it

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#512 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks. I'm just happy someone read it.

I agree that it may not be over yet. There's nothing preventing Makris from on-selling, or being over-exposed to certain overseas banks and going broke, for that matter.

As to the TFA scheme, I don't think it could have lasted long anyway. There's a limit to the TFA available from nearby listed buildings, and there is a sort of leap of illogicality in setting height limits for good planning reasons then, effectively, allowing them to be breached by the payment of TFA. The idea was that a certain 'mass/height' was to be allowed in each precinct. If Observatory House burned down, it would be interesting to know if the site owners could redevelop to current full height allowance, or if they would be told, 'No, you sold those rights as TFA, remember? Two levels only for you.'

I haven't seen the Chancery in the flesh. I've heard it's a bit ordinary, but I'd reserve my judgement. Photos can lie, too. Take my Russian bride, for example...
Last edited by stumpjumper on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#513 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Wow and Stumpjumper goes out with a bang !

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#514 Post by Brando » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 pm

stumpjumper wrote:As a matter of interest, the new tenant of Cafe Paesano, (part of the Makris/Le Cornu site) is the Finks Motorcycle Club.

I went to Paesano's yesterday and found a large motorbike parked on the footpath outside, a used needle in the men's bathroom and to top it off, the place was operating with open tills, generally a clue to money laundering.

It turns out that the former tenant borrowed money from the Finks and had trouble repaying it, so the bike gang took over his business (with the approval of owner Con Makris, self-described perfectionist developer and lover of South Australia who himself is well-known to have pulled a gun on a business associate at Makris' office on East Terrace in the city. He didn't shoot the guy, just pushed him out of the building with the gun - Makris is no thug, after all).

Operation Purana in Victoria found that the rise of the celebrated criminal gangs there was facilitated by the gangs' take-over of coffee shops in Lygon Street in order to launder money through non-receipted cash-flow and to provide quiet, controlled meeting places for their business transactions. Not to be too melodramatic, murder in the streets soon followed.

Thankfully, the only Fink who's been murdered since the gang took over Paesano's was shot at his home in the suburbs, not at the cafe, and had just left the Finks anyway, so really, the Finks are cleanskins, and shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Dead set - no need to pull this, Howie, PM me and I'll give you names, dates and times.
Howie, this post should be edited or removed, regardless of what info Stump has, it is merely hearsay and dangerous.

I find it amazing how so many people have stories they are so willing to aimlessly share, yet they don't mention the fact that 'Lords of ink' tattoo palour just had a fundraiser to help a young boy with cerabral palsy. Believe me i know these guys are not saints and most of those are associates or noms, but the majority are great guys that love the club and their colours.

SYLFMC - Some will know what that means!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#515 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 pm

support your local finks

I thought everyone knew that

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#516 Post by rev » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Have to agree with Brando.
Hearsay, rumours, etc are just that. There are plenty of rumours about plenty of business people in Adelaide and their dealings. But that's all you ever get, rumours, no proof. I could tell you some rumours about a certain petrol station owning family that will make finding syringes in a cafe toilet look good. :lol:
This site has been in trouble over less over parklands and vic park, the last thing it needs is this sort of negative attention emanating from the spreading of rumours about local business people, local establishments and organised crime gangs.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#517 Post by Joely » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:16 am

It's blatently obvious what Ignite is using as a design inspiration for their architecture. Could they have possibly made it a little more obvious?

Chancery in Auckland

Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills

That said I really do feel this development will benefit North Adelaide greatly, and it does complement the snooty, upperclass feel of the area. Then again, it would've been nicer to have something a little more unique.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#518 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 am

Joely wrote:It's blatently obvious what Ignite is using as a design inspiration for their architecture. Could they have possibly made it a little more obvious?

Chancery in Auckland

I was thinking more of The Como Centre in Melbourne, done about 20 years ago, from memory ...
http://www.kiwicollection.com/property/ ... -melbourne

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#519 Post by Joely » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 am

Xaragmata wrote:
Joely wrote:It's blatently obvious what Ignite is using as a design inspiration for their architecture. Could they have possibly made it a little more obvious?

Chancery in Auckland

I was thinking more of The Como Centre in Melbourne, done about 20 years ago, from memory ...
http://www.kiwicollection.com/property/ ... -melbourne
Ahh, the lovely Park Hyatt Melbourne, my favourite hotel in the city. I didn't even think of it but looking at it, you're right. Then again one could argue the architects of the Hyatt may have looked towards Beverly Hills for inspiration themselves. It is definitely a lovely style of architecture and will look stunning in North Adelaide. I just hope it doesn't end up looking tacky.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#520 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 am

Could all that have bagged the design/architecture of this development please upload the style of development they would have liked to have seen here instead...so maybe then others can really assess how good there taste is.

And regardless of the actual design, my other question to the knockers - what have you ever actually created or done in your life?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#521 Post by Prince George » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:57 am

how_good_is_he wrote:And regardless of the actual design, my other question to the knockers - what have you ever actually created or done in your life?
Hmm, flamebait.

Let's raise the tone, that kind of talk does credit to no-one.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#522 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:05 am

I am dismasyed to see that this design is basically a knock off. I knew I didn't really like it and now I know why I thought it looked so old-fashioned :(

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#523 Post by omada » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 am

The design has basically no architectural merit, it's a Disneyland throwback.. but i'm sure it will appease the residents of North Adelaide who are happy living in their little world of make believe.. the only positive is at least something will occupy that site now.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#524 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:43 am

I like the design looks great , It looks European and suits the area. The curves both compliment and add contrast to square edges.
Then again its all subjective to the eye of the beholder.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#525 Post by Joely » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm

I really don't like it when people say things like this:
how_good_is_he wrote: And regardless of the actual design, my other question to the knockers - what have you ever actually created or done in your life?
You're basically saying we should just shut up and accept whatever is given to us even if it's of poor quality just because we are not architects who could do a better job ourselves. We have every right to critique a development, after all this is a development discussion forum is it not? And this is our city.