[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#46 Post by Howie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 am

That is a real shame to hear that :(

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#47 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:40 pm

I thought the Makris Group and the State Government were working it out :(

shame shame ACC, It is one of the worst eyesores in Adelaide and its in a popular strip.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#48 Post by how_good_is_he » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:52 pm

Makris is trying to lease the upstairs of the North Adelaide Village [across the road] to a Zest gym. As per council requirements, the gym is short of carparks. Makris can provide the carparks by opening his carpark behind Paesano. Makris actually closed off this carpark in retalliation a few years ago when his plans were rejected. This has just been rejected by Council -even though it has been a carpark for years. A crazy tit for tat!

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#49 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Good to see Makris got major development status for his $250m Victor Harbour development and hopefully the North Adelaide project will be next. I reckon govt is waiting for Victoria Park grandstand issue to be settled with ACC before they stick it up em and take over this approval.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#50 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:29 pm

I thought the State Government didn't grant the Lecornu Project major project status? (man I hope I'm wrong)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[U/C]

#51 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:50 pm

crawf wrote:I thought the State Government didn't grant the Lecornu Project major project status? (man I hope I'm wrong)
Thats right, council wouldnt approve it because it was to tall. So they went to the State Government for major development status and were shown the door.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#52 Post by Will » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
crawf wrote:I thought the State Government didn't grant the Lecornu Project major project status? (man I hope I'm wrong)
Thats right, council wouldnt approve it because it was to tall. So they went to the State Government for major development status and were shown the door.
Hopefully the state government will reconsider this backwards decision. The seat of Adelaide now has a healthy 10.4% buffer. :wink:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C]

#53 Post by rev » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:09 pm

Apparently thats not a big enough buffer to risk Jane her seat. :evil:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#54 Post by Will » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 pm

rev wrote:Apparently thats not a big enough buffer to risk Jane her seat. :evil:
I disagree, because the people oppossed to this development are the North Adelaide elite who presumably vote Liberal anyway. The people living in the electorate in areas like Prospect I apresume do not care about this development or in fact would be in favour of it. However the government's decision does raise some questions...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#55 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 am

Article is this weeks city messenger saying Makris will be lodging a new proposal directly with the SA government hoping to recieve major developement status. They said the building will be higher then the 3 story limit but have said it's not viable to build anything less than 5 stories on the site. They also said if this is not awarded major project status as this will be the 11th revised proposal they will give up on the site. This would be worth getting Amanda Blair's party involved... perhaps once we have seen the proposal just in case, though if it's anything like the previous two it would getr my support.

urban
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#56 Post by urban » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:20 am

Makris should pay for a decent architect, then he might have a chance.

The last design was appallingly kitsch and did not relate to the site and adjacent streetscape. Why on earth were they using a kiwi architect firm?

The site planning was wasteful. A good architect should be able to bring that amount of floor area in within 4 levels, which I am sure would have been approved.

The Adelaide City Council had a chance to buy the site before Makris, but passed it up. This is an opportunity missed. I am sure we would have had a good development well under way by now.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#57 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:37 am

To be honest I don't care what is built there anymore, even it was a church or a supermarket.

Anything to block out that disgraceful eyesore. It is dam right embarrassing for Adelaide to have a block of land on one of its popular inner city restaurant/cafe strips for so many years.

tambi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#58 Post by tambi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:10 pm

urban wrote:Makris should pay for a decent architect, then he might have a chance.

The last design was appallingly kitsch and did not relate to the site and adjacent streetscape. Why on earth were they using a kiwi architect firm?

The site planning was wasteful. A good architect should be able to bring that amount of floor area in within 4 levels, which I am sure would have been approved.

The Adelaide City Council had a chance to buy the site before Makris, but passed it up. This is an opportunity missed. I am sure we would have had a good development well under way by now.
Very true.

Will409
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#59 Post by Will409 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:47 am

Looks like this project has been given CPR and it is now alive and kicking again and something is definatly happening. If anyone on here saw the news last night, the lead story on every single channel was that the development of the Le Cournu sight has been given major project status by the State Government. Finally, a step forward.

No suprise, Anne Moron has been complaining about it saying "the council should be allowed to make a decision on the future of this site". If making the decision to keep it empty for 19 years and with 6 previous proposals gone down the loo, you aren't doing much thinking are you? MORON.

As for the proposal itself, it looks like being a scaled down version of the original Makris proposal with a 3 storey complex capped off with a 6 storey tower. A couple of artist impressions were shown on the news. I don't know where to go for thos things so if I someone could post the impressions here, that would be greatly appreciated. As you may expect, Makris is behind the new proposal.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#60 Post by stelaras » Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 am

I'm sure there will be complaints a plenty from the Nth Adel group of cronies......

Hopefully it doesn't take another 6 years or so to build it! For me im happy to see that sitre filled with something stylish and nice, im not fussed if it isnt a skyskraper, but i just want to see this site filled!

When im down in Adelaide and im showing interstate visitors around..i always tell them the story of how long that block has been vacant...!