North Adelaide 'still held back'
By LOUISE TRECCASI
A LONG-AWAITED development at the vacant Le Cornu site at North Adelaide will never "get off the ground" unless height restrictions are lifted, the frustrated owners say.
The Makris Group was commenting in the wake of new city planning changes which allow taller buildings and more apartments.
However, there are no height increases in established residential areas such as North Adelaide.
Makris chairman and chief executive Con Makris told The Advertiser the new changes, which came into effect on Thursday, "did not go far enough" and should be extended to North Adelaide.
"For our project to go ahead, it has to be workable but the height restrictions are just not viable for us," Mr Makris said.
"We have plans for cinemas and shops . . .how can you do that on three levels?"
The Makris Group bought the site in 2001 and last year unveiled plans for a development of a hotel, apartments, shops and cinemas. But its plan for a seven-storey building could not proceed because council planning rules limit building heights there to three storeys.
The General and Park Lands Plan Amendment Report, which provide the biggest changes to planning laws in 30 years, also addresses noise control and provide increased protection for the parklands.
As The Advertiser reported yesterday, developers are preparing to flood the city centre with an expected $1 billion worth of major project plans this year alone.
"The old plan has meant unattractive, blob buildings covering the whole site but the increases in height will allow a developer to optimise the site and still have plenty of open space to achieve a better design building," Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said. Adelaide City Council says the new changes will add an extra 1.4 million sq m of floor space with the potential to create $5.8 billion worth of development.
Users browsing this forum: bretthandorf and 5 guests