[COM] Spark 88 | 47m | 15lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
teflon fox
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #COM: Spark 88 Apartments | 47m | 15lvls | Student

#256 Post by teflon fox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:48 pm

OMG Prince George i have always enjoyed your comments but to say this development is more interesting than COH
just shows how a photograph cannot tell the whole truth. I think if you were at the griffens head tomorrow night
and had a look at both developments on a quiet stroll through the city your opinion may be changed - we are talking
two ends of the spectrum

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by Prince George » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 am

teflon fox wrote:I think if you were at the griffens head tomorrow night and had a look at both developments on a quiet stroll through the city your opinion may be changed
Yes, I'll readily admit that photos cannot tell the whole story, and that I might feel different after I actually lay eyes on them. But having now aired my opinions, I'll be unable to stand losing face and say I was wrong, so I'll have to continue defending myself :). What can I say? I'm a small, petty man.
monotonehell wrote:The problem is that they've taken a uninteresting, shear, bulky box and then tried to dress it with treatments that all look like afterthoughts.
But this is the part that I really can't get over - you could use that very phrase on almost any building that's been mentioned on this site. 374-400 KWS is literally a shear box without even an attempt to dress it (apart from that little grey, granite skirt that it'll have on the bottom two levels). Conservatory has all the excitement of a carpark for a few levels, then the almost totally flat office floors and then gets the same couple of balconies added until you get to the top. Aurora omits the bottom part of that plan and skips straight to doing the same thing over and over. SA Water is a box in a layer of gift-wrap (an appropriate thought in this holiday season).

To cap it off, this seems to me to be the building that "shear box" actually applies to the least, with its multiple setbacks along the south face. Take a squizz at the last render from the site's "property profile", what other buildings have that amount of shaping? Again, it strikes me that the difference between all these buildings is that this is the one that's made of concrete.
monotonehell wrote:... and the attempt at contrast through size (the windows) is also fail, because they've used repetition that kills contrast. You can only achieve contrast via size if you interrupt repetition.
I'll just have to say that I disagree with you about that. As a counter-example, I'll give the World Financial Center buildings in Battery Park NYC:
The effect is a little subtle, but they've used three or four different window sizes as they work their way up the building - smallest at the bottom, largest at the top. Unless you mean that there's a difference between horizontal and vertical repetition.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#258 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:58 am

Prince George wrote:...What can I say? I'm a small, petty man.
:lol: I don't believe that for a second.
Prince George wrote:But this is the part that I really can't get over - you could use that very phrase on almost any building that's been mentioned on this site. 374-400 KWS is literally a shear box without even an attempt to dress it (apart from that little grey, granite skirt that it'll have on the bottom two levels). Conservatory has all the excitement of a carpark for a few levels, then the almost totally flat office floors and then gets the same couple of balconies added until you get to the top. Aurora omits the bottom part of that plan and skips straight to doing the same thing over and over. SA Water is a box in a layer of gift-wrap (an appropriate thought in this holiday season).
Quite some different kettles of fish there. They all have their good and bad points. But the overall result of the ones I can remember is visual interest from contrast, while still having overall harmony.
Prince George wrote:To cap it off, this seems to me to be the building that "shear box" actually applies to the least, with its multiple setbacks along the south face. Take a squizz at the last render from the site's "property profile", what other buildings have that amount of shaping? Again, it strikes me that the difference between all these buildings is that this is the one that's made of concrete.
Yes it does have setbacks, but at ground level (and I have the advantage of actually being there and wandering around it from several angles) it is an oppressive monolith. I think you're onto something when you mention that this is made of concrete. But it's not the material as such, it's the way it's been used. Great clunking blocks of concrete with no visual interest at all. Symmetrical blocks with symmetrical windows. And in my case at least, it's not the material as I'm quite fond on the '70's carbuncles in London.
Prince George wrote:I'll just have to say that I disagree with you about that. As a counter-example, I'll give the World Financial Center buildings in Battery Park NYC:
The effect is a little subtle, but they've used three or four different window sizes as they work their way up the building - smallest at the bottom, largest at the top. Unless you mean that there's a difference between horizontal and vertical repetition.
That's a contrast in scale that's repeated a lot and viewed from such a distance that it becomes a contrast in texture. The UniLodge building only has about six levels with the smaller windows. Not really a suitable comparison.

As a side journey, check out this discussion on contrast, repetition and harmony in a ... needle point book :lol: .. no - I'm not having a go at you. It's true that these concepts apply equally to architecture as they do to needlepoint, painting and music if what we are trying to achieve is visual (or aural) interest.
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlewo ... ition.html
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#259 Post by Prince George » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Prince George wrote:...What can I say? I'm a small, petty man.
:lol: I don't believe that for a second.
Oh stop, you'll make me blush.
monotonehell wrote:As a side journey, check out this discussion on contrast, repetition and harmony in a ... needle point book :lol: .. no - I'm not having a go at you. It's true that these concepts apply equally to architecture as they do to needlepoint, painting and music if what we are trying to achieve is visual (or aural) interest.
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlewo ... ition.html
Why, side journeys are my favourite part of a trip! And you'll have to do better than needlework to scare me :). In fact, I'm a fan of Christopher Alexander, whose theories on design are intended to cover a huge range of activities and scales. In the early 90s he wrote about the art of Turkish prayer rugs, and the ideas that he started to develop there went on to dominate his writing. Now, I haven't actually seen that book yet (it's been out of print for years), but I learned about that work from my favourite book on programming: Richard Gabriel's Patterns of Software. It turns out that, now that this book is also out of print, the good Dr Gabriel has put the entire text on his site. The section about the Turkish rugs begins on p 92 in the doc (79 in the book).

BTW, I highly recommend this book to any programmer with interests that go beyond just memorising APIs. And the introduction, with its quote from Samuel Johnson on the role of "The Critick", should be mandatory reading before posting on internet forums :).

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#260 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:10 am

This is open for inspection today between 1-2pm if anyone is interested. Just before the Tour Down Under starts

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#261 Post by Will » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:13 am

The ground floor retail tenancy has been leased.

Work is currently underway preparing it, as a KFC will soon open there.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#262 Post by Omicron » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:47 am

Oh my. I hope they're open late on weekends - some fried chicken would really hit the spot at 5am on a Sunday morning.....

vik_man
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#263 Post by vik_man » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 pm

this building is incredibly uninspiring.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: COM: Spark 88 Apartments | 47m | 15lvls | Student

#264 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm confused if this is the same development or a new one, as it says development site?
DA/827/2003/A
2/02/2010
Development Application Received
Vary previous authorisation to demolish existing and construct 15-level building containing student accommodation - VARIATION - increase balcony overhang, extend height of kitchen flue, relocate external stair and main entrance and internal changes.
OCTAGON - Development Site, 20-40 Victoria Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#265 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Ben wrote:I'm confused if this is the same development or a new one, as it says development site?
DA/827/2003/A
2/02/2010
Development Application Received
Vary previous authorisation to demolish existing and construct 15-level building containing student accommodation - VARIATION - increase balcony overhang, extend height of kitchen flue, relocate external stair and main entrance and internal changes.
OCTAGON - Development Site, 20-40 Victoria Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
It is the same development, which has had a few name changes and is now UniLodge @ Metro Adelaide http://www.unilodgemetroadelaide.com.au/

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#266 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:08 am

I wish developers would stop trying to incorporate '88' into the names of their developments, which they do presumably on the assumption that 88 means 'good luck' or 'long life' in the minds of wealthy Asian buyers. It's demeaning for both parties.

As for needlepoint and architecture - a lot of great designers have studied other arts. William Morris is an obvious one; Adolf Loos is another: he studied fabrics and fashion. On the other hand, philosophers have studied architecture and engineering - Roland Barthes wrote at length on the joys of the Citroen DS11.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#267 Post by Pikey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 am

Are you stoned, by chance Stumpjumer???
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#268 Post by omada » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:49 am

Well at least we are now up to date with needlepoint and architecture, priceless knowledge :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#269 Post by Will » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I wish developers would stop trying to incorporate '88' into the names of their developments, which they do presumably on the assumption that 88 means 'good luck' or 'long life' in the minds of wealthy Asian buyers. It's demeaning for both parties.

As for needlepoint and architecture - a lot of great designers have studied other arts. William Morris is an obvious one; Adolf Loos is another: he studied fabrics and fashion. On the other hand, philosophers have studied architecture and engineering - Roland Barthes wrote at length on the joys of the Citroen DS11.
The development is located at 88 Hindley Street. :oops:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#270 Post by Hooligan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 pm

In bingo 88 is referred to as "two fat ladies"

This useless information was brought to you by Hooligan

Code: Select all

Signature removed