[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #Approved : Centro Arndale Redevelopment - $100m

#46 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:35 pm

Howie wrote:
Xaragmata wrote:
rhino wrote:Does anyone know why this shopping centre was called Arndale? Where did they get that from?
It was named for the original developers. From memory, they were a UK company of Arnold & Chippendale, & combined the names. Marion was the second Arndale in SA, but dropped the Arndale identity, unlike the original. I lived in Third Avenue when the thing was proposed, & remember the land being cleared, & the original layout with John Martins dominating, but it has changed beyond recognition since then.
Very insightful! Thanks for that, I think the wikipedia article for centro arndale should change to reflect this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centro_Arndale
I did a bit of searching, & there is a entry for Arndale with the UK origin of the company & the centres at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arndale_Centre - it was Chippindale, apparently. I can't find anything about Marion Arndale online, as most of this was before the 'net was a part of life. The office block at Marion was probably done as a Westfield addition, so it would be quite a while ago since Arndale sold out to Westfield.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #U/C: Centro Arndale Redevelopment - $100m

#47 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks for that link mate, i'll fix up the centro arndale wiki article to reflect it.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by pushbutton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 pm

In the UK the vast majority of city centre shopping malls were (and to a lesser extent still are) traditionally called "Arndale".

American trends are starting to creep in there now and some Arndales are rebranding as "Malls", or being taken over by companies such as Westfield with their own brand identity.

For example Stretford Arndale Centre recently changed its name to Stretford Mall.

However many other centres still are known as Arndales, for example Manchester Arndale.

Back in Australia though, I saw an old newspaper the other day which had a large Westfield advertisement in it (full page) and at the bottom of the page listed "Westfield Shoppingtowns Kilkenny, Marion, Tea Tree Plaza"

So at one point Westfield Arndale must have been known as Westfield Kilkenny. I can't tell you when this was as the date was missing from the newspaper pages (bottom of pages had been torn off for some reason). That was interesting though as I previously thought the centre must have been originally known as Arndale and the name had been carried through by both Westfield and Centro. It appears though this has not always been the case. Does anyone know more about when it was known as Westfield Kilkenny?

Xaragmata

#49 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 am

pushbutton wrote:Does anyone know more about when it was known as Westfield Kilkenny?
I think Westfield would have preferred the Westfield Kilkenny brand to "stick", as happened with Marion, but the unofficial Arndale name for the locale was too strong. The 1993 STA bus timetables refer to Arndale Shopping Centre on the 231 233 311/2/6 etc, & I'm fairly sure this was during Westfield's ownership. The 241 / 297 tables refer to Marion Shopping Centre. Centro has a few of the expansion milestones noted, but not the ownership details.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by pushbutton » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:37 am

Well I know it was definately known as Westfield Arndale between 1989 (when I first came to live in Adelaide) and the time Centro took it over, which from memory was roughly 2003 or 2004 I think.

The only possible exception is that I lived in UK from 1993 to 1995 so it's possible that may perhaps have been the period when Westfield tried calling it Westfield Kilkenny? Otherwise it must have been before 1989.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#51 Post by Cruise » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:14 am

I was there about a week ago and i saw they had upgraded the toilets.

they had this cool TV screen on the top of the hand dryer that started playing an advert when you put your hands under it!!!

well i was impressed anyway

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Howie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:29 am

Cruise wrote:I was there about a week ago and i saw they had upgraded the toilets.
Yep saw that, playing the song "true blue" while i was drying my hands. :)

Xaragmata

#53 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:58 am

Cruise wrote:I was there about a week ago and i saw they had upgraded the toilets.

they had this cool TV screen on the top of the hand dryer that started playing an advert when you put your hands under it!!!

well i was impressed anyway
I saw one of those at Colonnades last week. Must be a Centro thing ... reminded me of the old line about press this for a 30 second speech from the Prime Minister.

rhino

#54 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks for the explanation Xaragmata, appreciated.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Howie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:24 am

Two more stages after this one?
Adelaide's Arndale mall gets $100m Centro makeover
Maurice Dunlevy | November 23, 2007
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 58,00.html

SHOPPING centre giant Centro plans a $100 million makeover of one of Australia's oldest shopping malls.

The 40,000sqm Arndale shopping centre at Kilkenny, Adelaide, was one of Australia's first major shopping centres when it was built in 1963.

Centro's stage one redevelopment - expected to be completed by mid-2009 - involves an additional 1343sqm of space, taking the overall size of the complex to almost 41,550sqm.

But Centro has plans for at least two more stages, expected to cost between $100-150 million, in a show of confidence in Adelaide's blue-collar northwestern suburbs, where jobless numbers have historically been above the national average.

The Cheltenham Park Racecourse redevelopment, where Urban Pacific and joint venture partner AV Jennings earlier this weekannounced plans to build 900 homes worth $400 million, is also in the Arndale catchment.

With the exception of department store Harris Scarfe, Arndale has not had a department store major since John Martins - which morphed into David Jones - departed a decade ago.

Big W is currently the largest tenant, occupying about 5000sqm of space.

Big W will get an extra 2000sqm from the proposed stage one development, which will also result in a larger Woolworths supermarket, a new food court and a further 60 outlets.

Centro chief operating officer Graham Terry said yesterday the redevelopment would transform Adelaide's original air-conditioned mall into a modern centre.

"We have a lot of confidence in Arndale," Mr Terry said.

The centre is jointly owned by two Centro managed funds, Centro MCS 38 and Centro Australia Wholesale Funds.

The funds each acquired a half share of the centre in 2003 through a $117 million purchase from joint owners Westfield Trust and Commonwealth Property Fund.

Mr Terry said Centro expected a yield of almost 8 per cent on its initial $100 million redevelopment.

Centro hopes its Arndale announcement, made a week after the $114 million completion of a major makeover of the former Bankstown Square shopping centre in Sydney, and the opening of a new $55 million shopping complex at Armidale in northern NSW, will ease investor concerns about the $6 billion group's exposure to US property markets.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:40 am

The last "announcement" I heard from Centro about this was that they had orignally planned to carry out redevelopment in several stages, but had now decided to do it all in one stage. That was only a few weeks ago. So they can't seem to even make up their minds about that!!!

Nevertheless, I am very hopefull that they will at least start to do something with Arndale in the very near future.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Wow..... thats good news for arndale.

Do they have any plans for Myers or David Jones? Id say at least put Myers there as there is a David Jones at West Lakes.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:32 pm

I can tell you for certain there's zero chance of DJs opening a store at Arndale anytime in the foreseeable future!

However I have heard whispers from quite reliable sources that Myer may be considering whether to convert the Arndale Harris Scarfe store to the Myer format, although I don't think that's been decided yet.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Howie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Couple of pics from today
Attachments
panorama_demolition.jpg
Demolition on the Right of this Panorama of the old Warehouse, soon to be part of Big W
panorama_demolition.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
panorama_busstop.jpg
The Bus Stop Interchange.. soon home to new food court.
panorama_busstop.jpg (136.84 KiB) Viewed 4175 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:16 pm

I do hope they upgrade the bus interchange...