PRO: Garden Island Motorsport Complex | $25m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: New motorsport complex

#16 Post by Cruise » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:17 pm

i can one day see AIR becoming a housing estate for some reason.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Omicron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Cruise wrote:i can one day see AIR becoming a housing estate for some reason.
Thoughts of Rowley Park, perhaps?

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Ash-SV6 wrote:Only problem with AIR is the track faces into the setting sun and the crowd is far too close to the strip for top level categories such as Top Fuel.
SOFT! I remember when my dad took myself and a couple of my friends out there one night when we were 14 or 15 and the nitros came to town. I have never experienced anything as loud and awesome as that. The earplugs were in, my hands were over my ears, my mouth was open and my body was rattling harder than any nightclub subwoofer could ever hope for. The guys that strap themselves into those fire-breathing monsters have my utmost respect!

Then there was some mad truck with two turbo'd engines that did the biggest and longest burnout I've ever seen.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:11 am

Cruise wrote:hey howie, i read your comments in the messenger today did you know they printed it?
I didn't know that actually.. i'm out of the country at the moment, so i'm not up with all the news.

Ash-SV6
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by Ash-SV6 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 am

Bulldozer wrote:
Ash-SV6 wrote:Only problem with AIR is the track faces into the setting sun and the crowd is far too close to the strip for top level categories such as Top Fuel.
SOFT! I remember when my dad took myself and a couple of my friends out there one night when we were 14 or 15 and the nitros came to town. I have never experienced anything as loud and awesome as that. The earplugs were in, my hands were over my ears, my mouth was open and my body was rattling harder than any nightclub subwoofer could ever hope for. The guys that strap themselves into those fire-breathing monsters have my utmost respect!

Then there was some mad truck with two turbo'd engines that did the biggest and longest burnout I've ever seen.
It's got nothing to do about being soft, but about safety. Modern drag strips place the crowd 40 or 50 metres back from the edge of the track to provide a buffer against flying debris. AIR had one close call when a door from Victor Bray's Top Doorslammer came off mid-way down the track, luckily he was in the lane nearest the crowd and the chain fence caught the door. But had he been in the other lane, there is a good chance the door could have gained enough air to clear the fence and would have ripped into the crowd.

I've also seen footage from the USA of a funny car's engine exploding on launch, and you can see one of the cyclinders getting fired out of the engine like a cannon, I certainly wouldn't want to have been sitting in the crowd alongside of it if it had been at AIR!

And then you've got Top Fuel blowovers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiF2KHDXXZ8

MGR
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by MGR » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:01 am

$25m sport racing complex THE ADVERTISER

LAUREN NOVAK TRANSPORT REPORTER

February 14, 2008 12:30am

AN UNDISCLOSED consortium of wealthy Adelaide investors is ready to build a $25 million-plus motorsport complex in Adelaide.

Featuring a drag racing strip, speedway, race circuit and jet boat racing, the complex is expected to be up and running in about 15 months.

Spokeswoman for the consortium, Anna Micheel, said the three mystery investors were working with the Land Management Corporation to secure a site in the north or north-western suburbs within the next three months.

About 120ha would be needed.

"We're hoping to have the first stage up and running within 12 months (after that)," she said.

A former manager of Adelaide International Raceway at Virginia, Ms Micheel would not name the investors but described them as "leading business people within Adelaide who are very passionate motorsport enthusiasts and definitely have the money".

Ms Micheel said the privately-funded hub would include a "business park" for supporting industries and could also provide "a service to the community" as a training ground for emergency service vehicles, driving schools and a concert venue.

"There is no other venue (in Australia) that can house the number of motorsport events that they wish to house," she said.

"It's something that Adelaide desperately needs."

Australian National Drag Racing Association chief executive officer Tony Thornton said Perth, Sydney and Ispwich had top drag racing venues and a new complex would be built in Melbourne by late next year but Adelaide was missing out.

A drag strip in Adelaide would "link up the national chain", he said. Mr Thornton hoped the venue also would improve road safety by holding regular amateur competitions.

"There are lots of young people doing increasingly stupid things on the road and having access to a drag strip to have a go almost whenever they want isn't going to eradicate it (hoon driving) but it provides a safer option," he said.

Since the opening of the Western Sydney International Dragway NSW police said illegal street racing "has been non-existent" in the area.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare (Hamlet)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:09 am

Victoria Park would be a suitable site! :wink:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 am

Wayno wrote:Victoria Park would be a suitable site! :wink:
Wayno, it is a sure No No.

A motorsport complex is going to be occupied and always in operations all year long. For test vehicles, motorsport events, drag racing events, etc, which in no way, it would be located in the CBD.

Mallala proved to be popular option at the moment after AIR pretty much closed down, but it is too damn far and the weather is always too damn shitty down there.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

Edgar wrote:
Wayno wrote:Victoria Park would be a suitable site! :wink:
Wayno, it is a sure No No.

A motorsport complex is going to be occupied and always in operations all year long. For test vehicles, motorsport events, drag racing events, etc, which in no way, it would be located in the CBD.

Mallala proved to be popular option at the moment after AIR pretty much closed down, but it is too damn far and the weather is always too damn shitty down there.
Hey Edgar, i was joking...can you imagine the Rose Park residents being happy about hi-octane drag car racing each weekend! :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Howie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 pm

will be up within 15 months... hopefully!
$25m sport racing complex
Article from: The Advertiser

LAUREN NOVAK TRANSPORT REPORTER

February 14, 2008 12:30am

AN UNDISCLOSED consortium of wealthy Adelaide investors is ready to build a $25 million-plus motorsport complex in Adelaide.

Featuring a drag racing strip, speedway, race circuit and jet boat racing, the complex is expected to be up and running in about 15 months.

Spokeswoman for the consortium, Anna Micheel, said the three mystery investors were working with the Land Management Corporation to secure a site in the north or north-western suburbs within the next three months.

About 120ha would be needed.

"We're hoping to have the first stage up and running within 12 months (after that)," she said.

A former manager of Adelaide International Raceway at Virginia, Ms Micheel would not name the investors but described them as "leading business people within Adelaide who are very passionate motorsport enthusiasts and definitely have the money".

Ms Micheel said the privately-funded hub would include a "business park" for supporting industries and could also provide "a service to the community" as a training ground for emergency service vehicles, driving schools and a concert venue.

"There is no other venue (in Australia) that can house the number of motorsport events that they wish to house," she said.

"It's something that Adelaide desperately needs."

Australian National Drag Racing Association chief executive officer Tony Thornton said Perth, Sydney and Ispwich had top drag racing venues and a new complex would be built in Melbourne by late next year but Adelaide was missing out.

A drag strip in Adelaide would "link up the national chain", he said. Mr Thornton hoped the venue also would improve road safety by holding regular amateur competitions.

"There are lots of young people doing increasingly stupid things on the road and having access to a drag strip to have a go almost whenever they want isn't going to eradicate it (hoon driving) but it provides a safer option," he said.

Since the opening of the Western Sydney International Dragway NSW police said illegal street racing "has been non-existent" in the area.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by aussie2000 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 pm

^^^^ lol im seeing double! :lol:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed : $25m Motorsport Complex (Garden Island)

#27 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 am

Here's the site... look at the amazing possibilities. :!:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54 am

That is the 3rd time that article was posted lol. If this state was loaded, that area could be transformed into a luxury resort style precinct.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:57 am

Damn.. didn't see the date.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#30 Post by Ho Really » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:51 pm

crawf wrote:That is the 3rd time that article was posted lol. If this state was loaded, that area could be transformed into a luxury resort style precinct.
Garden Island? Amongst mozzy infested mangroves? Part of Garden Island was a dump and the land reclaimed. Not sure you want to build a resort there near high voltage lines.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.