COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#226 Post by Cruise » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Wayno wrote:i hope it gets taken over by someone with $$$, vision, and balls.

Demolish and then what? Another tall apartment block in that space would be too much IMHO (unless it was a mega-tall spire and made to stand out from the rest of the mid-rise pack...
well i have balls, one out of three, not bad

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#227 Post by Shuz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Please just demolish the thing already. We don't need these 'second-rate' attractions around.
and replace it with what?
How about a permanent beach volleyball arena?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#228 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Shuz wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Please just demolish the thing already. We don't need these 'second-rate' attractions around.
and replace it with what?
How about a permanent beach volleyball arena?
you mean like a mini-stadium?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#229 Post by Will » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:01 pm

One of the reasons for the failure of the Beach-house has to be the 'fun card'. Instead of having games which operate on coins, every game in the Beach-house requires you to insert a pre-purchased fun card. The problem with this is, unless you are a regular customer, the idea of having to purchase a fun card in order to play any of the games makes it a cumbersome option. It reduces the likelihood of people spontaneously deciding to play a game. A few weeks ago I had dinner at Glenelg with a few mates and after that we wandered over to the Beach-house. Some of the arcade games looked fun and we were interested in playing them, however we were put off by the fact that you have to purchase a 'fun card' first.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#230 Post by crawf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm pretty sure alot of places around the country are the same.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#231 Post by rev » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 pm

crawf wrote:Don't go blaming the state....
He isn't blaming the state, and what he is saying is spot on.
Nothing is ever done in Adelaide to its fullest potential. We always have things watered down.

God its pathetic.
We can't even get a tiny bloody ferris wheel up, because it's sooo technologically advanced for the developer to handle, yet Melbourne has thrown up a massive wheel in less time. Theirs is even illuminated at night, has the developer here even managed to put up the lighting on the gondolas?
It's just a ferris wheel, not a bloody pioneering scientific project like the hadron collider!!!!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#232 Post by Shuz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:50 pm

How about a permanent beach volleyball arena?[/quote]
you mean like a mini-stadium?[/quote]

A mini outdoor stadium of sorts - 2000 capacity. So they can use it rather than that temporary thing they put up in front of Moseley Square every year. It would be loaded with its own facilites and maybe another restuarant overlooking the beach. And it should be made dual use, with a swimming pool beneath that can be uncovered and utilised for sports carnivals etc. Maybe a tennis court as well? It certainly would get utilised a lot better by the 'wider' community, and the council would get revenue from it by leasing it out.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#233 Post by ghs » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm

rev wrote:
crawf wrote:Don't go blaming the state....
He isn't blaming the state, and what he is saying is spot on.
Nothing is ever done in Adelaide to its fullest potential. We always have things watered down.

God its pathetic.
We can't even get a tiny bloody ferris wheel up, because it's sooo technologically advanced for the developer to handle, yet Melbourne has thrown up a massive wheel in less time. Theirs is even illuminated at night, has the developer here even managed to put up the lighting on the gondolas?
It's just a ferris wheel, not a bloody pioneering scientific project like the hadron collider!!!!
If the one down at glenelg ever gets going then it will be illuminated at night, I remember reading
about this in the messenger. So could financial reasons be the reason why it has take so long
for the ferris wheel to go up ?

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#234 Post by how_good_is_he » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Apparently as the ferris wheel came from overseas it didnt meet Australian safety standards and it is already $2m over budget with another $1m needed to complete it!

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#235 Post by Prince George » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:28 pm

We were down at the waterfront on the weekend and spent a little time by a fountain, which reminded me of a question I've been meaning to pose.

I like fountains, but they're obviously a debatable addition to a city in as dry a region as Adelaide. But could a fountain run on seawater? The water would have to get filtered, of course, but is there a reason that the water itself is unsuitable?

If it could, then a big interactive fountain is my choice - one where you can roam around in the water area so that it's part fountain, part sculpture, part water-park. It would have a variety of spouts so it can change pattern according to some program to keep people guessing on when it might dump water on your head or spray up from below you. And it could have parts that people can control themselves.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#236 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 am

Prince George wrote:We were down at the waterfront on the weekend and spent a little time by a fountain, which reminded me of a question I've been meaning to pose.

I like fountains, but they're obviously a debatable addition to a city in as dry a region as Adelaide. But could a fountain run on seawater? The water would have to get filtered, of course, but is there a reason that the water itself is unsuitable?

If it could, then a big interactive fountain is my choice - one where you can roam around in the water area so that it's part fountain, part sculpture, part water-park. It would have a variety of spouts so it can change pattern according to some program to keep people guessing on when it might dump water on your head or spray up from below you. And it could have parts that people can control themselves.
there's a modest version of this concept in moseley square. Not sure if it uses fresh water or not. Using seawater would imply using stainless steel plumbing - quite expensive i bet...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

loud
High Rise Poster!

#237 Post by loud » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:11 am

Will wrote:One of the reasons for the failure of the Beach-house has to be the 'fun card'. Instead of having games which operate on coins, every game in the Beach-house requires you to insert a pre-purchased fun card. The problem with this is, unless you are a regular customer, the idea of having to purchase a fun card in order to play any of the games makes it a cumbersome option. It reduces the likelihood of people spontaneously deciding to play a game. A few weeks ago I had dinner at Glenelg with a few mates and after that we wandered over to the Beach-house. Some of the arcade games looked fun and we were interested in playing them, however we were put off by the fact that you have to purchase a 'fun card' first.
I don't think that the pre-paid card system is the reason this business failed... The card itself is free and easy to acquire and recharge... it is also less cumbersome than carrying around a pocket full of coins...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#238 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:37 am

Maybe they should be dual-use, so you can use both coins and the FunCard, especially at the Arcade.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#239 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:01 am

loud wrote:
Will wrote:One of the reasons for the failure of the Beach-house has to be the 'fun card'. Instead of having games which operate on coins, every game in the Beach-house requires you to insert a pre-purchased fun card. The problem with this is, unless you are a regular customer, the idea of having to purchase a fun card in order to play any of the games makes it a cumbersome option. It reduces the likelihood of people spontaneously deciding to play a game. A few weeks ago I had dinner at Glenelg with a few mates and after that we wandered over to the Beach-house. Some of the arcade games looked fun and we were interested in playing them, however we were put off by the fact that you have to purchase a 'fun card' first.
I don't think that the pre-paid card system is the reason this business failed... The card itself is free and easy to acquire and recharge... it is also less cumbersome than carrying around a pocket full of coins...
Agree, it's sooo simple to get a card, takes 30seconds. if people can't cope with that complexity then how do they get cash out of an ATM! :lol:

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#240 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:52 pm

loud wrote:
Will wrote:One of the reasons for the failure of the Beach-house has to be the 'fun card'. Instead of having games which operate on coins, every game in the Beach-house requires you to insert a pre-purchased fun card. The problem with this is, unless you are a regular customer, the idea of having to purchase a fun card in order to play any of the games makes it a cumbersome option.
We went when it opened, and were required to purchase the card, and then add value to use the rides. If it is now
free that would reduce the niggle factor, but we haven't been back, as we have been expecting the wheel to operate
in our lifetimes. I don't know what became of the card.