COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

Re: COM/PRO: Glenelg Ent Complex (Beachhouse & Water World)

#331 Post by Goya's Line » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:44 am

+1

Ken Rollond supported that move recently (InDaily link somewhere) saying if Melbourne can work with the public liability risk so can we. Sorry to go off tangent more than usual but did anyone see the Buffalo news story tonight? Apparently the owners have spent $400k on upgrades since 2008 but that may not save it.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#332 Post by ghs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

crawf wrote:
Goya's Line wrote:For me 'tacky' was what made holidays to Glenelg memorable - the old Bay Junction centre, Magic Mountain, a revolving restaurant, Birdman Rally, milk carton regatta, genuine Mexican apartments, red rattlers and HMS Buffalo. By 1990 the kitsch value was as much an experience as the cinema and beach, yet Rimington now has to appease highrise neighbours and council to bring some colour back to the bay.
I would love to see the Birdman Rally and Milk Carton Regatta reintroduced into a new festival for the bay or even in the city.
I think there's probably OH & S issues with these types of events.

In regard to the Buffalo I saw the adverisement on the news earlier in the week. I think at the moment there's so many restaurants / cafes
down at Glenelg that it's hard for many of them to stay in business. Scampi's closed down and I've also seen quite a few places close
down in that area near the Dublin hotel.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#333 Post by Goya's Line » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 pm

I don't know the Glenelg cafe/restaurant culture - have many businesses (i.e. Holdfast Shores) survived away from Jetty Rd.? Just a few hundred metres can make a difference in some areas and (Buffalo) reviews seem pretty poor. The Buffalo seems better suited to the Beachhouse or Wiggly Worms/Little Picassos than high-end restaurants.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#334 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

I agree with Crawf that Greenhills adventure park should be developed into a fully fledged theme park / waterpark, and I also think it should have hotel accommodation (a bit like sea world on the gold coast). Perfect location, and it's unlikely any nimbys would get in its way there.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#335 Post by Adeguy72 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 am

pushbutton wrote:I agree with Crawf that Greenhills adventure park should be developed into a fully fledged theme park / waterpark, and I also think it should have hotel accommodation (a bit like sea world on the gold coast). Perfect location, and it's unlikely any nimbys would get in its way there.
Nice idea, but I think it's too late for Greenhills.
My understanding is the property was sold a few years ago to a housing developer & is now being leased back to the Greenhills operator on short term basis.
Once the developer can get funding & the demand is there the adventure park will close & we will have Greenhills housing estate or retirement village.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#336 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Adeguy72 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I agree with Crawf that Greenhills adventure park should be developed into a fully fledged theme park / waterpark, and I also think it should have hotel accommodation (a bit like sea world on the gold coast). Perfect location, and it's unlikely any nimbys would get in its way there.
Nice idea, but I think it's too late for Greenhills.
My understanding is the property was sold a few years ago to a housing developer & is now being leased back to the Greenhills operator on short term basis.
Once the developer can get funding & the demand is there the adventure park will close & we will have Greenhills housing estate or retirement village.
Oh, how exciting!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#337 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 am

I seriously hope not, the state needs these types of attractions... minor theme parks.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#338 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 am

Time to bring back puzzle park maybe?

Code: Select all

Signature removed