COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Done
Gold-Member ;)

#91 Post by Done » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:47 am

Look I found more. :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:06 am

nice find mate

I went there for a christmas party when my mum worked for ANZ in the early 90s.

I really wish Gandel would do something with the top floors, its such a waste of space up there. Though i think its time Gandel gave the whole centre a revamp (excluding Myer), its a shocker IMO

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Will » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:21 pm

Maybe its the nostalgia speaking but I seriously think that Dazzleland should be re-instated. It was closed down during a period of economic instability in Adelaide.

As a city we have come a long way since the dark years of the 1990s, and I feel that such a concept could now be economically viable.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#94 Post by Will » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:57 am

Finally some news on the Ferris Wheel:

The messenger reports that the ferris wheel will be operational by october this year. The delays are blamed on the fact that because it is the first single arm ferris wheel in Australia, the Beach-house operator is having difficulty getting planning approvals from the council. Furthermore the ferris wheel will now be getting a new colour scheme, and the Beach-house has realized that it will be more viable if it is launched in the warmer weather, not now, when its cold and fewer people go to the beach.

There will be a competition to find the lucky children who will be the first people in the world to ride the new ferris wheel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by AG » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:08 am

Ferris wheel for Bay
June 10, 2007 12:15am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
A MINIATURE version of the iconic London Eye ferris wheel will be built at Glenelg.

An area in front of The Beachouse, on Colley Reserve, will be home to a 25m-high single-arm ferris wheel. Up to 80 people at a time will have unique views of the Adelaide skyline in 16 enclosed gondolas, holding five people each.
By comparison, the huge London Eye is 135m tall and has 32 enclosed glass gondolas, each for 25 passengers, for a total of 800 people.

Plans for the amusement ride have been under way since last October, when Holdfast Bay Council leased part of Colley Reserve to The Beachouse owners, Rimhart Nominees Pty Ltd.

The Beachouse general manager Matthew Hodge said parts of the wheel were being repainted at an Adelaide warehouse.

"It's just undergoing some final touches before construction at the site can begin," he said. "It was always a part of our bigger plan to have it here."

Mr Harris said although it would be much smaller than its London counterpart, it was "from the same family".

Experts from Europe and Asia will be flown in to help install the wheel ahead of its predicted opening in the October school holidays.

A competition will be held to select the first children to ride it.

Holdfast Bay Mayor Ken Rollond described the amusement park's latest addition as "our own mini London Eye".

"It will definitely be a big drawcard for holiday-makers," he said. "It will add to the whole atmosphere of the Bay."

Council Tourism and Business Development manager Rod Trowbridge described it as an "absolute bonus" for Glenelg.

"I'm sure it will be a significant attraction and will quickly become quite a well-known landmark," he said.

"It might be going a bit far comparing it to the London Eye. The most important thing is to get it up and operational before you make too many comparisons."

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm

This will be great for SA, and great for glenelg as there will be more things to do there!!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by Howie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Can't seem to find a decent sized render of this. The one on the adelaidenow site is a bit crappy.

Image.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:10 am

The gondolas look REALLY basic, like something from a 1960s funfair.

Hopefully though it's just a poor drawing, and the real thing will be much better, because my 2nd cousin is one of the engineers who designed it and the original London Eye, and he assures me it is based on the same design, just smaller.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#99 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Was it originally meant to be bigger?
28m seems a bit modest to be honest.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by stelaras » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:31 pm

28 metres is friggin small. Its about the same size as the Wheel at the show grounds.

I don't know what it is with Wheels of late. It seems every state is doing it...Melbourne has put up 2 in recent months and is building a 100 metre + (taller than the balte bridge) at the docklands which will give people a view of the city + surrounds. Rumour has it that they will charge $30 a ride (lasts about 30 minutes) and is in an air-conditioned carriage..

Personally i think it is a bit of a :wank: you wont be able to see anything from a wheel 28 metres high! The space at Glenelg could have been used better. If they wanted a wheel they shouldve made it so it impacted.. ie big enough to see a good view of Adelaide and surrounds..

just me being a grumpy old sod...

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#101 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:54 pm

so carriage wise ... is it just going to basically be a ferris wheel? or is it going to have classy 'gondolas' lol

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:29 pm

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:Was it originally meant to be bigger?
28m seems a bit modest to be honest.
It was actually going to be smaller at 25m.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by stelaras » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:43 pm

bmw boy wrote:so carriage wise ... is it just going to basically be a ferris wheel? or is it going to have classy 'gondolas' lol
well its based on the London Eye, so it will be in similar design to that...just a wee bit smaller...!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#104 Post by Shuz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 pm

So, how does a single arm wheel work?
Doesnt make sense to me

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#105 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:38 pm

bmw boy wrote:so carriage wise ... is it just going to basically be a ferris wheel? or is it going to have classy 'gondolas' lol
Do you genuinely believe that 28m warrants classy gondolas? :D
Should be fun anyhow, hoping it will have some good views of town.