COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: why ?

#46 Post by crawf » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:28 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:
crawf wrote:I highly doubt it mate :lol:
why do you doubt it ?

What other seaside suburbs are better ?

Firstly I would forget about anything in melbourne, brisbane and on the gold coast..... That only leaves sydney, perth and the sunshine coast.....
I don't think any of the seaside suburbs in these places are all that much better than Glenelg.........
I wouldnt, Melbourne is home to the famous beachside suburb of St Kilda. While the beach is not crash hot, the suburb itself is filled with shops, restaurants, cafes, bars/nightclubs, hotels and the place is usually pumping 24/7. Though St Kilda is mostly famous for its red light zone.

Not sure about Brisbane, but the Gold coast is filled with awesome beachside suburbs which would put Glenelg to shame. Lol you dont think Bondi (one of worlds most famous beaches), Manly, Palm Cove, Coogee, Fremantle and Noosa are all that much better than Glenelg?

Dont want to sound so negative, but that was a silly then to say...

Dont get me wrong I really Like Glenelg (especially the Holdfast Shores development), but it would be never as good as Bondi or Manly. Especially with the Holdfast Shores Council in charge...

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#47 Post by gregrogers257 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:07 am

crawf wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:
crawf wrote:I highly doubt it mate :lol:
why do you doubt it ?

What other seaside suburbs are better ?

Firstly I would forget about anything in melbourne, brisbane and on the gold coast..... That only leaves sydney, perth and the sunshine coast.....
I don't think any of the seaside suburbs in these places are all that much better than Glenelg.........
I wouldnt, Melbourne is home to the famous beachside suburb of St Kilda. While the beach is not crash hot, the suburb itself is filled with shops, restaurants, cafes, bars/nightclubs, hotels and the place is usually pumping 24/7. Though St Kilda is mostly famous for its red light zone.

Not sure about Brisbane, but the Gold coast is filled with awesome beachside suburbs which would put Glenelg to shame. Lol you dont think Bondi (one of worlds most famous beaches), Manly, Palm Cove, Coogee, Fremantle and Noosa are all that much better than Glenelg?

Dont want to sound so negative, but that was a silly then to say...

Dont get me wrong I really Like Glenelg (especially the Holdfast Shores development), but it would be never as good as Bondi or Manly. Especially with the Holdfast Shores Council in charge...
I don't agree. Firstly I dont rate St. kilda the beach is crappy, the main street is ugly and there's prostitutes and druggies there.

The gold coast is filled with awesome suburbs ?? That's crap. The gold coast was a nice place 40 yrs ago, before all the development. Its now over-developed and ugly..... The sunsets there at 2pm !!!

Fremantle is a happening place but not as good as glenelg as there is no beach there....

I've never been to Noosa so I dunno what is like there. Glenelg is probably not quite as good as manly and bondi at the moment but as I said in the original message if glenelg keeps on developing then it could be just as good if not better than Manly and bondi.....

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Ho Really » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:55 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:Fremantle is a happening place but not as good as glenelg as there is no beach there....
Perth's got Cottesloe. :)

Cheers

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#49 Post by gregrogers257 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Ho Really wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:Fremantle is a happening place but not as good as glenelg as there is no beach there....
Perth's got Cottesloe. :)

Cheers
Yeah I know it has cottesloe. There's a really nice beach, with some nice houses and a couple of pubs and cafe, but overall there's not as much there a what there's is in glenelg....

Look at what glenelg has :

1) A nice beach
2) The mariner and the patawalonga
3) the Tram
4) Moseley square
5) A great range of shops, restaurants and cafes.
6) Good nightlife, especially in the summer..
7) An esplanade which is not over-developed like the gold coast

What other seaside suburbs in australia have this many attractions ?

None.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#50 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:29 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:Look at what glenelg has :

1) A nice beach
2) The mariner and the patawalonga
3) the Tram
4) Moseley square
5) A great range of shops, restaurants and cafes.
6) Good nightlife, especially in the summer..
7) An esplanade which is not over-developed like the gold coast

What other seaside suburbs in australia have this many attractions ?

None.
I agree, and Glenelg would be even better if the local council was (a little more) pro-development. Bring on the Watermark development!!

Cheers

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by Captain Howdy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 pm

I also agree. Glenelg is looking great. The only thing it doesn't have over the other beaches mentioned is a reputation.

southsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by southsider » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:28 pm

or needles.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Pistol » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Or a nice beach!!!

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Glenelg

#54 Post by gregrogers257 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Pistol78 wrote:Or a nice beach!!!
What do you mean it not a nice beach ???

Sure its not as good as the beaches in perth and sydney, but its still nice enough.... The beach at glenelg may not be as beautiful as some others in Australia, but Glenelg has a lot of other attractions that other seaside suburbs dont have. ie (Cottesloe, Fremantle, Bondi)

Also there some interesting projects coming up in glenelg :

1) The Beachhouse Ferris Wheel
It will be really interesting to see how this turns out. If its like the London eye then it could be a great attraction.

2) Adelphi Waters development.
At the moment there's a big empty ugly block on the eastern side of the patawalonga. That whole area on the eastern side of the patawalonga will look great once this project is complete.

3) Bay junction re-development.
Not as exciting as the other 2 developments, but it will be a welcome addition to glenelg if it goes ahead.

Unfortunately Twin Towers wont go ahead : (

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Pistol » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Glenelg as a suburb is nice... As a beach - well lets just say that there are a lot more beaches in Adelaide that are SO much nicer than the one at Glenelg.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Al » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 am

My favorite is Semaphore. I hate crowed beaches and I reckon Glenelg is getting a little that way. Still nice place for tourist though.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Edgar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:25 am

Lets just say some of the most amazing beaches in SA (Adelaide) has yet to be found and developed, but still, I would rather have them kept away from being developed, to maintain the quality and preserve the nature of the beaches.

Please don't take Glenelg as a benchmark of Adelaide beaches, it is probably, the only well developed beach in Adelaide but certainly not the most beautiful one, obviously.

Don't come so fast to judge and compare beaches from other states to the ones in SA, do some driving adventure and explore the hidden beaches in SA, you might change you mind then, I know I did.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#58 Post by Captain Howdy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 pm

I don't know why SA doesn't promote itself as having fantastic beaches more. I love the SA beaches! I have lived in Sydney, Brisbane and Far North Queensland and can't say as much for any of those places. Alot of Sydney and Bris-GC's best beaches have been thrashed to the max. Far North Queensland prides itself on its beaches which have NO surf and are closed off most of the year with box jelly threats.

Anyways, I can't wait for the ferris wheel to go up! It'll really add a nice touch to the Glenelg skyline.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Al » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 pm

One of the best things I like about Adelaide beaches that no east coast beach goers can boast about is that you can sit back and relax and enjoy a sunset over the water! That's heaven for me.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#60 Post by JAKJ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Al wrote:One of the best things I like about Adelaide beaches that no east coast beach goers can boast about is that you can sit back and relax and enjoy a sunset over the water! That's heaven for me.
Yeah thats true... and if you want to watch the sun rise just head down to victor harbour, or across the gulf ;)