COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#286 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Wow, I actually want to vomit.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#287 Post by deano91 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:26 pm

It's a bit ummmm.....boring.....and knowing the prices at The BeachHouse, it will be horrendously expensive too...

Will409
Legendary Member!

#288 Post by Will409 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:46 pm

It is a shame it took 2 years for that 'thing'. I could probably make a 1:1 replica of the London Eye in my back yard in less time and a whole lot cheaper, Paramount Brown's here I come! On the bright side atleast, it is finished and ready to go and just in time for summer too.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#289 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:06 pm

It looks much better at night than during daylight hours!

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#290 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Isn't that a building's version of "she looks better when you're really far away"?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#291 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:33 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:Isn't that a building's version of "she looks better when you're really far away"?
Yes! It looks better when it's dark, you can't see it so well!

Although I do honestly think it sort of looks pretty lit up (in a very "small country town travelling funfair" sort of way), but at least you can't really see how ugly the shape and colour of the gondolas is.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#292 Post by deano91 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Just as a quick little side note, someone from the Advertiser needs to go back to school...
The Adelaide CBD, surrounding suburbs and Mt Lofty Rangers can be viewed from the top of the wheel.
Pretty finnicky to pick that up, I know, but it gave me a good little chuckle :D

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#293 Post by crawf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:48 am

You probably can.

Has anyone been on this thing yet?

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#294 Post by ghs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 am

The advertiser is !@#$ - I see mistakes all the time in the articles.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#295 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm

I know, it's crazy. The other day it claimed that it was a newspaper.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#296 Post by pushbutton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 am

I hate to say it, but the advertiser is 100x better than some of the newspapers in Britain!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#297 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 am

OK.. so last night I decided to check this one out. Mind you me and my mates were the only ones with the same thing in mind. I was surprised at how pathetic it was given all the previously negative press about it. You get one spin on the wheel and it moves about the same speed as the revolving restaurant for anyone that has been up there. You barely even notice it's moving. Considering it was it's second day and at 5pm on a sunday i was the only one on it. I don't feel this has a bright future.

Xaragmata

#298 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 pm

I tried it out today, and like Ben, I was the only one on it. Beachouse looked largely deserted, except for what looked like
a private function on the first floor, & the wheel was locked off about 8 pm. I was happy with the ride, as I was taking pics
of city skyline ... staff were friendly. everything OK, but perspex windows were already scratched ... may end up like
railcar windows if they aren't looked after.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#299 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:22 am

From the Messenger:
Revamp for Glenelg ferris wheel

Local News23 Nov 11 @ 06:21am by Jane Whitford

THE Glenelg ferris wheel will be sped up and revamped in a bid to attract more people, after its operator admitted the $1.8 million attraction failed to meet expectations.

Beachouse manager Peter Rimington said the ride would be sped up from next week to complete one rotation every four minutes as opposed to every nine minutes, as was the case when it first opened three years ago.

The windows on all 16 gondolas will also be replaced with a better quality acrylic plastic to improve views of the sea and hills after the salt air damaged the existing windows.

Mr Rimington said the slow speed of the wheel and murky windows meant passers-by often mistakenly believed the wheel was closed.

“At nine minutes (per rotation) it didn’t look like it was moving unless you held your line of sight for a long time,” Mr Rimington said.

“We then dropped it to six, and now four minutes, and you can certainly notice the difference.

“We’ve had people drive past and think it’s turned off or not operating, but in fact it is moving and they just might not be able to notice it - so we think this will make a significant difference.”

Almost 3000 people rode the 25m-high wheel - the first and only single-armed ferris wheel in Australia - on its opening day three years ago.

But Mr Rimington told the Guardian Messenger last week the wheel, which blew out by about $800,000 and took two years longer than expected to complete, had not lived up to his expectations.

He hoped the new windows and extra speed would once again “spark interest” in the Colley Tce attraction.

“I guess it was far more challenging than we realised to build something that was the first of its kind in Australia,” he said.

“It didn’t meet our expectations but we’ve learnt from that and we hope by doing this it will ignite interest once again. We are hoping, first of all, that people have a better experience and also have positive reports for their friends, which we hope results in higher use.”

The ferris wheel operates on request every day, and until 11pm every Friday and Saturday. Cost: $6 for two rotations.

[Shuz]

#300 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 am

I'd rather they demolish the ferris wheel. It's an eyesore.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.