COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

#16 Post by AtD » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Image

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#17 Post by Will » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks for the photo Adam, good to see that progress is going well on this development. Acording to the Messenger this development will be ready by June of next year. I really cannot wait to see how it will look like.

User avatar
Joely
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Adelaide & Brisbane

#18 Post by Joely » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:50 am

Are there any renders of this development?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#19 Post by Will » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:28 pm

From the Messenger:

The new entertainment complex at Glenelg will be known as "The Beach-house"

The $20 million complex will include such things as:

*5 level play castle
*Formula 1 style dodgem cars
*mini golf course with a 'mining' theme
*interactive bumper boats with squirting pistols
*the old historic carousel

However the most important part of this story is the news that the Holdfast Bay council has used some common sense and approved the 25m tall 'London Eye' style ferris wheel.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 151 times

#20 Post by Algernon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:01 pm

Not Magic Mountain related, but how funny is that new 'Irish' pub on the square? Most pretentious bollocks i've ever seen :lol:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#21 Post by Will » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Algernon wrote:Not Magic Mountain related, but how funny is that new 'Irish' pub on the square? Most pretentious bollocks i've ever seen :lol:
It looks nice from behind. However I'm happy that it has added to the vibe on Moseley Square. It's great to see so many people in Moseley Square on Friday and Saturday nights.

User avatar
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 2258
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:41 am
Location: Sitting Down
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 344 times

#22 Post by Pikey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 pm

From today:

Image

The Surf Life Saving Club HQ is open to the public now.

Image
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |


User avatar
Mants
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:40 am
Location: City of Burnside
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

#24 Post by Mants » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:13 pm

i was in glenelg yesterday. we werent gonna go to The Beach House, but we did go and have a look.

and its far from world class.

first thing i noticed was that from the front, half the carousel is hidden by a grey strip of metal or something
the dodgem car course and bumper car lake are really small, and there is so much free space that could have been used to make them bigger.
the put-put is so easy, its not funny, the train track is so small and loud while youre trying to play golf. it smells strongly of chlorine and theres very little seating area for parents. dunno bout the slides, the looked good, but it was far too cold.

there were harly any people there anyway, bit of a dud if you ask me

im just rather dissappointed, its good, but not great.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#25 Post by Will » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:37 pm

^ The Beach-house is aimed at primary aged children.

User avatar
Mants
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:40 am
Location: City of Burnside
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

#26 Post by Mants » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:12 pm

Will wrote:^ The Beach-house is aimed at primary aged children.
i never said it wasnt...


theres nothing much down that way for teenagers anyway. a cinema complex at least would do well. werent there plans for this some time ago?

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

#27 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:46 pm

Just to remind us, this is the proposal the developers put forward in December 2002:

Image

Image

Image

Image

They wanted the mini-golf to be much, much larger than it currently is, and also wanted more retail space next to the Beach House. Also note the west facade for the Beachhouse was a lot grander than the one built.

Blame the NIMBYs.

(Crossposted on SSC)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#28 Post by Will » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks Adam for posting those images.

I hope that by comparing the original proposal with what we ended up with, people will be able to appreaciate my concern about the Holdfast Bay council's proposal to ammend their development laws and ban high-rise (over 3 levels).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5534
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 661 times
Been thanked: 152 times

#29 Post by Will » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Mants wrote:
Will wrote:^ The Beach-house is aimed at primary aged children.
i never said it wasnt...


theres nothing much down that way for teenagers anyway. a cinema complex at least would do well. werent there plans for this some time ago?

Then what is your point? I assume you are around 15. Therefore a theme park aimed at kids 5-11 is not going to appeal to you.

And the cinema complex was cancelled, because it offended the anti-progress council down at Glenelg. The cinema complex was too bulky and did not look 'heritage'.

User avatar
Mants
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:40 am
Location: City of Burnside
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

#30 Post by Mants » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Will wrote:
Mants wrote:
Will wrote:^ The Beach-house is aimed at primary aged children.
i never said it wasnt...


theres nothing much down that way for teenagers anyway. a cinema complex at least would do well. werent there plans for this some time ago?

Then what is your point? I assume you are around 15. Therefore a theme park aimed at kids 5-11 is not going to appeal to you.

And the cinema complex was cancelled, because it offended the anti-progress council down at Glenelg. The cinema complex was too bulky and did not look 'heritage'.
my point is, like i said, that there is very little for teenagers to do at glenelg.

and if you read my post, i never mentioned that the Beachouse wasnt appealing because it was made for 5-11 year olds.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests