News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Projects: Henley Beach/Grange

#106 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 pm

warpspeed wrote:Awesome.... they're going to screw up Henley Square just the same as they did with Glenelg.
Just lovely...

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#107 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm

From yesterday - some shops are trading, with temporary access - supermarket doesn't appear to be fitted out ...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#108 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:49 pm

According to the Weekly Messenger, the new Foodland supermarket is now open

Xaragmata

#109 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 pm

crawf wrote:According to the Weekly Messenger, the new Foodland supermarket is now open
Yes, it opened yesterday, & I had a look at it today - quite large, with self checkout lanes, and out of sight from the entrance on Seaview Road, which is why I couldn't see it previously. A wide passage connects Seaview & Military Rd, with the Foodland opening on the length of one side, and not much apart from a blank wall & 1 shop entrance on the other side.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#110 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:09 am

In a 3km radius there is now five Foodland/Drakes and IGA supermarkets

- Henley Square
- Henley Beach South
- Fulham Gardens
- Lockleys
- West Beach

:shock:

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#111 Post by baytram366 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:46 am

Would much rather heaps of Foodlands than Woolies everywhere.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#112 Post by rev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:45 am

No end in site for Henley Beach discharge

* Local News

2 Dec 11 @ 10:54am by Lia Harris

GROUNDWATER will continue to be pumped onto Henley Beach from a nearby construction site even after the work is finished, its developer says.

Richard Antunes, who is behind the new Baju and H20 apartment complexes on Seaview Rd, said testing of the groundwater, which was being pumped onto the beach every hour, showed it was not contaminated with chemicals dangerous to human health.

The water has been displaced during work to construct the three-level underground carpark for the apartment blocks. It has been pumped onto the beach near Henley Square since October.

Mr Antunes said he was working with the council to find a solution to the excessive water pressure in the groundwater pipe, which was causing it to gush out onto the beach.

Pick up your Weekly Times Messenger or view the online edition next week for the full story.
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... discharge/
:?

Xaragmata

#113 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Some inside views - it's an L-shaped mall, something like Hilton s/c, with a travelator from the carpark & Military Road. A lot of temporary walling in place,
where new shops will go as they are leased ...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#114 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:07 am

Looks bigger than what I thought it would be. Thanks for posting

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Will » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 am

Bad news I'm afraid. I hope this serves as a wake up call for the state government to remove planning powers from ALL councils, and not just the ACC.

We can no-longer aford to have pensioner, heritage and other nostalgic groups threaten the growth of our city.

From the Messenger:
Five-storey Henley complex rejected

Local News8 Dec 11 @ 11:39am by Lia Harris

A FIVE-STOREY apartment complex planned for Henley Beach has been rejected by Charles Sturt Council’s Development Assessment Panel.

More than 50 people attended Charles Sturt Council’s Development Assessment Panel (DAP) meeting last night where the application, from developer Richard Antunes, was refused.

The Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association spoke against the development, raising concerns including potential traffic problems, overshadowing of neighbouring properties and a lack of parking space.

The DAP voted unanimously to oppose the application, citing concerns including the height of the development.

They also referred to problems associated with groundwater beneath from Mr Antunes’ Baju and H20 complexes, also under construction on Seaview Rd, being dispersed on the beach.

The Seaview Rd complex, valued at about $40 million, includes 22 shops, 66 apartments and an underground car park

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#116 Post by Adelarch » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:53 am

So 5 storeys at a town centre, beach location is too high?

Ludicrous

I hope it gets taken to court

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by Wayno » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Five-storey Henley complex rejected
Make it taller, with a development cost of $10,000,001.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#118 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 pm

What makes this worse, is I believe the developers were going to inject up to $1 million dollars towards upgrading the tired looking Henley Square precinct.

This Residential Association like many others of their kind are a bunch of idiotic fools that have nothing to else do in their life but whinge. They whinged about that unsightly block being developed, whinged about extensions to the Ramsgate, currently whinging about Henley Beach's already established nightlife and now this proposal. I bet some of these of the people that were so vocal towards Baju, are happily enjoying it's new facilities. I also bet some of these people moved in the area over the past 10 years knew very well that Henley Beach is already a very popular suburb day and night.

In a way I'm not surprised this was rejected, Charles Sturt are becoming useless with them still wasting rate payers money towards the pathetic St Clair saga and those pointless billboards along Port Road that achieve very little. While this Residential Association and Local Messenger have been running a scare-campaign acting like this was a 500m apartment building that was going tower over Henley Beach :roll:
Will wrote:Bad news I'm afraid. I hope this serves as a wake up call for the state government to remove planning powers from ALL councils, and not just the ACC.
What needs to happen, is that all the central councils merge into one major city council. Most of them are useless, especially the circus down at Glenelg.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#119 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Take a look at this report from the TV show - SA Life. It shows a historic Henley Beach that looks much more exciting and far more busier, even more so than the current peak summer days. Very interesting...

http://www.salife7.com.au/adelaide/plac ... nley-beach

Vee
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by Vee » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Adelarch wrote:So 5 storeys at a town centre, beach location is too high?
Ludicrous

I hope it gets taken to court
Agree.

Too often, the loudest voice and minority groups gets its way. They are anti-progress of any sort with a raft of trivial objections. Reminds me of the park lands association who would rather see a dust bowl and no or limited human activity than allow some contemporary use of the park lands (Victoria Park ex-racecourse debacle). Many residents of local councils tend to be apathetic to local issues (low voter turnouts to council elections) and the loudest voices get most attention in the local media.

As the video highlighted by Crawf shows, these seaside locations such as Henley Beach, Semaphore, Glenelg were connected to the city by the public transport of the day. The beach, teahouses, jetty, amusement parks etc. provided facilities and services to the crowds. How would the naysayers cope with those sorts of crowds in their patch?

Henley Square and surrounding buildings fell into some disrepair in the 60s and 70s and the amusements disappeared. Vandalism added to the blight and general rundown nature of this area. It's been great to see the area being rejuvenated in the past decade and more accommodation built so that more people can enjoy this brilliant location.

These beach nodes are ripe for revival and increased residential densities. Adelaide needs to grow and urban sprawl has to be curtailed. The beachside locations around existing transport hubs, shops, cafés, hotels and leisure/entertainment are ideal for future redevelopment.

For heaven's sake, 5-10 levels is not exactly high rise a la Gold Coast style.