COM: [West Lakes] View Point | 31m | 8lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: #Approved - West Lakes 8st 31m Apartments

#16 Post by pushbutton » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Bulldozer is on site. Asbestos removal is complete.

There was no activity at all over the weekend but I think it's a safe bet the bulldozer will be in full swing all day tomorrow and for however long it takes to finish the job.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:21 pm

The Chinese restaurant was demolished today (sorry I couldn't get photos as I had no camera on me).

There's just a bit of rubble left on site, but that should be all gone by early tomorrow then they can start work on the apartments.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I have some pics of the rubble from yesterday at http://www.xaragmata.thebbs.org/album/a ... index.html

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Go All State :P

Thanks mate!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by pushbutton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm surprised how fast a building can disappear really. There is now nothing left, not even rubble. Just a flat, level site.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by pushbutton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Actually I'm not sure but I think the sign is still there advertising the old restaurant! Was yesterday anyway.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:27 am

I had dinner with the owners of this site last night.

We talked about why it is 8-storeys, and apparently it's because the "Building Code" requires many more safety features and infrastructure for buildings of 9 storey's or greater (auto-fire sprinklers, etc)! so the council decided to set a general 8 storey limit for west lakes.

That being said, the council did not rule out the notion of taller buildings at West Lakes (subject to case-by-case approval), but the extra costs for a few additional floors due to the building code is certainly more prohibitive...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#23 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:52 pm

This is being marketed as "Viewpoint" - render & details at Phil McMahon
http://www.philmcmahon.com.au/viewpoint.shtml

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Shuz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:40 pm

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:40 pm

7 levels not 8

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:43 am

7 levels of apartments... and a ground floor.

= 8

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by mattblack » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Oh yes, I remember this already being debated on wether to include the ground floor as level 1. I wont start it up again for all our sakes.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:32 am

mattblack wrote:Oh yes, I remember this already being debated on wether to include the ground floor as level 1. I wont start it up again for all our sakes.
Heheh don't fall for the classic trap of confusing the labels we put on floors and the number of floors in a building. There's a number of systems for labelling floors; some start at ground (or lobby in some places) and call the first story "1". Others start at ground level and call it "Level 1". Some buildings are built into the side of a hill and have two "grounds" (Think of our Myer Centre with Terrace and Rundle levels, I visited a hotel in Greece that was on the side of a cliff and it had a ground at the bottom and another at the top). Others still have extra special purpose levels, like "Sky Lobbies" or "Mezzanines" which are still another level but interrupt the regular labelling of floors.

There is a debate over whether functional sub ground levels should be included in the count though... *troll* ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AG » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 am

monotonehell wrote:
mattblack wrote:Oh yes, I remember this already being debated on wether to include the ground floor as level 1. I wont start it up again for all our sakes.
Heheh don't fall for the classic trap of confusing the labels we put on floors and the number of floors in a building. There's a number of systems for labelling floors; some start at ground (or lobby in some places) and call the first story "1". Others start at ground level and call it "Level 1". Some buildings are built into the side of a hill and have two "grounds" (Think of our Myer Centre with Terrace and Rundle levels, I visited a hotel in Greece that was on the side of a cliff and it had a ground at the bottom and another at the top). Others still have extra special purpose levels, like "Sky Lobbies" or "Mezzanines" which are still another level but interrupt the regular labelling of floors.

There is a debate over whether functional sub ground levels should be included in the count though... *troll* ;)
Yes, we use what most other countries see as a very strange way of numbering our floors. We're one of very few countries that call the lowest floor with the entrance to the street "ground level". Most other countries call that same floor "level 1". In Hong Kong, one skyscraper (Hopewell Centre in Wanchai) has a ground floor facing the harbour, but the back entrance is on the 17th floor because the hillside it sits on is so steep! And we don't skip floor numbers unlike a lot of countries, such as buildings in the US skip floor 13, and Asian skyscrapers often skip floor 14 and other floors ending in the number 4.

Good to see that Viewpoint is starting to make progress, nice group of medium to higher density buildings starting to emerge in the area, hopefully the transport infrastructure upgrades shape this further.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm

I have just come home from a random drive through West Lakes.

It appears that construction has begun on this building, as what appeared to be a concrete floor slab for the ground floor appeared to be in place.

I also noted the name of the website for the development from which I share these photos:

http://www.viewpointwestlakes.com.au/index.html