CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#61 Post by Will » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:44 pm

If there is any god news to come from this, is that the project will de assessed by the state governemnt DAC. As such the development has a higher chance of being approved, compared to if it was before the extreme nostalgic Holdfast Bay council.

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#62 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Manson Towers is just hideous. The arguments that this new proposal will destroy local character doesn't wash with me at all when the complainants reside in one of the most underwhelming, out-of-place monstrosities in the area.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#63 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Its very apt that the building is called Manson Towers...after Charles Manson I assume.
Last edited by how_good_is_he on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2281
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 826 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#64 Post by Ho Really » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:53 am

If I had the choice of the Watermark twin towers and Latitude, I'd drop the latter.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#65 Post by AtD » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 am

Ben wrote:College St clash
Image
PROTEST GROUP: The Manson Towers resident's Association is opposed.

HOLDFAST Bay Council has sought specialist planning advice in its long-running battle to stop an historic Glenelg building being demolished for a 12-storey apartment complex.
I find it frustrating. We have a clear and obvious housing shortage. These people clearly want to force Rudd's 'working families' into living on the outskirts, an hour away from the city and at mercy of fuel prices.

The solution to the housing crises is to build more apartments. Increase supply, lower price. The DINKS move into the apartments, attracted by the lifestyle, selling their homes to working families.

The solution to our transport problems is to build more apartments. Higher density means more cost effective public transport and shorter distances between residents and the services and jobs they travel to every day.

These selfish agenda driven action groups need to realise that these urban problems are their fault.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2281
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 826 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#66 Post by Ho Really » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 am

AtD wrote:The solution to the housing crises is to build more apartments. Increase supply, lower price. The DINKS move into the apartments, attracted by the lifestyle, selling their homes to working families.
Not all apartments are necessarily going to be cheap. Many will be bought as investments and rented out at high prices.
The solution to our transport problems is to build more apartments. Higher density means more cost effective public transport and shorter distances between residents and the services and jobs they travel to every day.
That I agree.
These selfish agenda driven action groups need to realise that these urban problems are their fault.
I wouldn't say these people are selfish and it's not all their fault if we've got urban sprawl. Old people in general want respect. One day we'll be the same (if we ever get there), and we'd want the same. Urban has already explained the rest, see above.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#67 Post by AtD » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 am

Ho Really wrote:
AtD wrote:The solution to the housing crises is to build more apartments. Increase supply, lower price. The DINKS move into the apartments, attracted by the lifestyle, selling their homes to working families.
Not all apartments are necessarily going to be cheap. Many will be bought as investments and rented out at high prices.
Regardless of the selling or renting price of the apartments, they will still increase dwelling supply; therefore ease upward pressure on prices.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2281
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 826 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#68 Post by Ho Really » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:30 am

AtD wrote:Regardless of the selling or renting price of the apartments, they will still increase dwelling supply; therefore ease upward pressure on prices.
In general yes, but we're talking about Urban Construct and Glenelg.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:44 pm
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#69 Post by muzzamo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 am

people interstate would die to be able to buy apartments in places like glenelg for the prices they sell for.. You pay 500,000 for an apartment in the sticks in sydney (although probably close to a train station)

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2471
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#70 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:14 am

It's disheartening that some advocates of this proposal feel it appropriate to launch disgusting ad hominem on those who oppose it. Legitimacy comes from critiquing opponents on the merits of their argument, not of their age, presumed mental health or whatever other irrelevant circumstances you care to grab for in the absence of evidence.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#71 Post by Omicron » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:40 pm

SRW wrote:It's disheartening that some advocates of this proposal feel it appropriate to launch disgusting ad hominem on those who oppose it. Legitimacy comes from critiquing opponents on the merits of their argument, not of their age, presumed mental health or whatever other irrelevant circumstances you care to grab for in the absence of evidence.
Prejudice is the best form of argument!

Incidentally, the little break-out next to this story mentioned that despite the green claims for the Latitude development, there were no plans for double-glazed windows. Even ignoring the obvious energy consumption benefits, with all the recent complaints about drunken youthful riff-raff skipping merrily through Glenelg streets making all sorts of noise, you'd think this would be a very sensible idea - one that really ought to be included.

User avatar
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#72 Post by jk1237 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm

What does ad hominem mean. It always embarrased me reading uni text books, due to the amount of latin words in them and me thinking - what the hell does that word mean

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 775 times
Been thanked: 1414 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#73 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Wikipedia is your friend:

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2281
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 826 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#74 Post by Ho Really » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 am

Norman wrote:Wikipedia is your friend:

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.
A good definition, but for jk1237 two words would have sufficed: personal attacks. :)

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:44 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#75 Post by AG » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 am

AtD wrote:I find it frustrating. We have a clear and obvious housing shortage. These people clearly want to force Rudd's 'working families' into living on the outskirts, an hour away from the city and at mercy of fuel prices.

The solution to the housing crises is to build more apartments. Increase supply, lower price. The DINKS move into the apartments, attracted by the lifestyle, selling their homes to working families.

The solution to our transport problems is to build more apartments. Higher density means more cost effective public transport and shorter distances between residents and the services and jobs they travel to every day.

These selfish agenda driven action groups need to realise that these urban problems are their fault.
I think you need to be a little bit more cautious when you say the solution. It isn't so much of an issue at Glenelg, but with the building of apartments around the place the infrastructure and services required to support a significant increase in the population should be in place before such a significant change takes place otherwise the areas would be plagued with new issues, notably increased traffic, and the game of catch up that we see all too often with infrastructure will occur.

There's also a lot of subdivision going on in the inner city areas that is increasing population density at a gradual rate as well as urban infill near the city at Northgate. Releasing more land on the outskirts is the easy way out of the housing shortage and the one that the current Rann Government seems to be using, but it is also the most costly option of the lot in the long run.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests