Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #PRO: Buckland Park Development

#361 Post by rhino » Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 am

Prince George wrote: San Berdino.
:) Is calling San Bernadino San Berdino a bit like us calling Port Augusta Portagutta? I've also seen James Ellroy refer to it as San Berdoo. I like to call Naracoorte Nackeroote, but it tends to piss off the locals.

Anyways, I'm with you and AtD on this one. Someone (Walker Corp) is out for a quick buck.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#362 Post by Cruise » Fri May 08, 2009 11:19 am

A business out to make money? who would have thought?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#363 Post by rhino » Fri May 08, 2009 11:45 am

Cruise wrote:A business out to make money? who would have thought?
There are ways that businesses like this can make money while still being a little more socially responsible. It involves less profit. You know this.
cheers,
Rhino

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#364 Post by Prince George » Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm

rhino wrote:
Prince George wrote: San Berdino.
:) Is calling San Bernadino San Berdino a bit like us calling Port Augusta Portagutta? I've also seen James Ellroy refer to it as San Berdoo. I like to call Naracoorte Nackeroote, but it tends to piss off the locals.

Anyways, I'm with you and AtD on this one. Someone (Walker Corp) is out for a quick buck.
Oops! That's what happens when you first hear about a place through a Frank Zappa song. *ahem* I'd like to apologise to the good people of San Bernadino, and to the estate of Frank Zappa.

Cruise, of course the business wants to make money, that's why you don't just accept everything that they say. When there's big sums of money floating around (and you can be sure that this project would net them a truckload of money), they've got a pretty compelling reason to say that something's going to be the goodest goodness that ever gooded the good, good, good, irrespective of what it actually involves. That's why independent opinions or advice are compelling, and why all these articles written by stadium architects at stadium design and engineering firms about how terrific a new stadium is for a city are not.

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #H/D: Gawler East | 2500h | 219ha

#365 Post by Neuropolis » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 pm

Update:

Gawler Council have asked that Delfin and the State Government commit to building significant PT infrastructure in Gawler to address numerous issues if this is to be passed.
Local thinking is that the council have made some deals they cannot back out of and this development is going to go ahead regardless of what else they want. Many local constituents feel betrayed by the council on this issue.

Gawler Council have also commissioned a report that demonstrates that the new shopping centre slated to be built along with the Gawler East development is too large and will impact negatively on businesses in the area and in the town.

Gawler is also slated to be granted Major Town status by State Government which effectively strips it of its current Rural Town status. This will impact on local Healthcare. It means that local Doctors will not have admitting rights to Gawler Health Services and Gawler Health will not be permitted to take anyone outside of hours and all patients will then be redirected to the Lyell Mcewin Hospital instead.

Whatever the boon to developers, I think a lot of people feel they are witnessing the death of the Township of Gawler.
Of course it all depends on what side of the fence you are on.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#366 Post by adam73837 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Somebody wrote:Hence IMO if these developments are to happen, they need to get PT in as an essential service from the start...
Exactly, take a look at other states, or better yet, the suburbs of Elizabeth and Mt Barker. If the trainline/freeway weren't there, the areas wouldn't have taken off. First you build the transport system, then suburbia follows. Not the other way round like at... Virginia I think it is.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#367 Post by mattblack » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Exactly, take a look at other states, or better yet, the suburbs of Elizabeth and Mt Barker. If the trainline/freeway weren't there, the areas wouldn't have taken off. First you build the transport system, then suburbia follows. Not the other way round like at... Virginia I think it is.[/quote]

bloody expensive for the government to do this, build a transport system for 10,000's when your starting from a greenfeild site. Would have to start off with a decent bus system and upgrade as population allows. Seaford perfect example. When population dictates aldinga will be included in extension. Just have to make sure you incorporate a transport coridoor into the design.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#368 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:33 am

From the ABC:
Transport concerns for Buckland development

The Playford City Council says plans for a new town at Buckland Park on the Adelaide Plains do not explain how nearby communities will be affected.

The Walker Corporation wants to build businesses and homes to accommodate 33,000 people.

The company recently put out an environmental impact statement for the community to respond to, which drew 40 responses.

The Greens Party says the development would create an urban ghetto and isolate residents.

The Council's general manager, Kate Atkinson, says a key concern is access to public transport in Buckland Park and surrounding townships.

"There is extremely limited public transport available to the Virginia township, in actual fact there is a bus service twice a day for that community," she said.

"We are looking for some assurances that public transport and other community services are going to be addressed in the development of this community."

"Unfortunately I believe the community is concerned that the services will be directed into Buckland Park because it is a comprehensive, planned development and that in actual fact Virginia will miss out," she said.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#369 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Norman wrote:From the ABC:
Transport concerns for Buckland development

The Playford City Council says plans for a new town at Buckland Park on the Adelaide Plains do not explain how nearby communities will be affected.

The Walker Corporation wants to build businesses and homes to accommodate 33,000 people.

The company recently put out an environmental impact statement for the community to respond to, which drew 40 responses.

The Greens Party says the development would create an urban ghetto and isolate residents.

The Council's general manager, Kate Atkinson, says a key concern is access to public transport in Buckland Park and surrounding townships.

"There is extremely limited public transport available to the Virginia township, in actual fact there is a bus service twice a day for that community," she said.

"We are looking for some assurances that public transport and other community services are going to be addressed in the development of this community."

"Unfortunately I believe the community is concerned that the services will be directed into Buckland Park because it is a comprehensive, planned development and that in actual fact Virginia will miss out," she said.
Hi,
While the Rann Government is updating the Railway and Tram system as well as the O-bahn, maybe they can budget for a Railway Branch line off the line to Crystal Brook so that it goes around in a U shape into the Town Centra of Buckland Park.
Pie in the sky stuff, I don't think so, if the development goes ahead it could be the start of of service northwest to Port Augusta.
Regards,

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#370 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Somebody wrote:
Wilfy 2007 wrote:Hi Somebody in the WWW,
How are you?
Little tired at the moment, have been up since 07:30. What about yourself? :)
Wilfy 2007 wrote:Yes you are right the Developers should pay as well but, In a conversation I had with a Gawler East resident recently he said the Council and the Developer asked the Government to supply the Infastructure.
But I agree with you, if the developer wants to develop the land and sell it off as a profit then they should also contribute to the P/T Infastructure.
In actual fact both the Gawler Council and the Barossa Council should get in volved with the Developer and the Government.
To be honest, I don't really think a lot of these Delfin developments. They're made out by the developers to be far more than they really are, obviously to entice you to buy a house there. Marketing it as "outer suburban home sites, an hour from Adelaide" doesn't sound so good.

I was taking a look at the website for Lakeside Pakenham (another Delfin project) the other day and it states that the estate will be getting a railway station "between 2011-2016". But houses started being built a couple of years back, all they have now is a bus once an hour. The token railway station will be too late, families will already own 3 or 4 cars.

Hence IMO if these developments are to happen, they need to get PT in as an essential service from the start, not an aftersight. If you wanted to extend the suburban service beyond Gawler Central then it would be the perfect time to duplicate that stretch as well.
Hey Somebody,
If you do dot like the idea of a Park and Ride what about a TOD
The location isuggested would be ideal for a Railway station , supermarket, like IGA and some units or townhouse all built in a complex with parking for passengers from out of the area.

What do you think?

Regards,

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#371 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Wilfy,
A TOD at Gawler East? seriously, put the crack pipe down buddy.

Regards,
Cruise

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#372 Post by fabricator » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Neuropolis wrote:Update:

Gawler Council have asked that Delfin and the State Government commit to building significant PT infrastructure in Gawler to address numerous issues if this is to be passed.
Local thinking is that the council have made some deals they cannot back out of and this development is going to go ahead regardless of what else they want. Many local constituents feel betrayed by the council on this issue.
Tony Piccolo (state MP for the area), has also made comments that he supports Gawler Council's proposal to extend the train service.
Neuropolis wrote: Gawler Council have also commissioned a report that demonstrates that the new shopping centre slated to be built along with the Gawler East development is too large and will impact negatively on businesses in the area and in the town.
Typical Gawler Council :wank: they have systematically blocked every shopping centre development outside of the town centre itself. Hell there isn't even one foodland/IGA type supermarket or decent deli in the suburbs.

The simple reason is the councillors are shop owners in the town centre, and little else. Its just an attempt to keep their monopoly on everything, rather pathetic really. Brain dead councillors then bitch about the traffic problems in the main street, well morons you wanted it that way remember ?

Farmers in the Barossa won't shop in Gawler, because there is a lack of parking and too much traffic congestion. This new shopping centre would allow them to come into Gawler or at least Gawler East. Gawler locals go shop at Munno Para shopping center for the same reasons, and the prices are slightly better.
Neuropolis wrote: Gawler is also slated to be granted Major Town status by State Government which effectively strips it of its current Rural Town status. This will impact on local Healthcare. It means that local Doctors will not have admitting rights to Gawler Health Services and Gawler Health will not be permitted to take anyone outside of hours and all patients will then be redirected to the Lyell Mcewin Hospital instead.

Whatever the boon to developers, I think a lot of people feel they are witnessing the death of the Township of Gawler.
Of course it all depends on what side of the fence you are on.
The Health Centre (the only part of it that is a hospital is the building) should stop being run as a Mickey Mouse operation and get its own Doctors.

The only thing that will kill the township of Gawler is death of the council itself. Say from this giant parasite called Barossa Council, which has attached itself firmly to the township while pretending to be a suburb of Gawler. The Gawler East development should be included into the Gawler council boundaries, that way the council that provides the majority of the local services gets the rates, its only fair.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#373 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 am

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#374 Post by fabricator » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:45 pm

P.K. wrote: As far as driving goes, without breaking the law, I can tell you for a fact, it takes 45 to 50 minutes to drive to North Terrace from Buckland Park in 5-00pm traffic, it takes 15 to 20 minutes from Buckland Park to Elizabeth Shopping Centre car park anytime of the day, 20 to 25 minutes to munno para shopping centre anytime of the day and it takes about 45 minutes to the centre of Gawler in the middle of the day.
35 minutes and your at the sub base and destroyer base.
These are facts, not computor estimated times. This is not even close to comparable to Sydney traffic.
Hence the nearest decent shopping centre takes at least 1/2 an hour return trip, and this is also the nearest train station as well. The result is 20 minutes + 31 minutes on the train + time spent walking, result faster to drive to work.

The real problem with this development is that unlike many previous ones it is an isolated area instead of being tacked onto an existing township or urban area. Hence there are problems with transport, employment, community and other services which aren't readily available. Note the term 'readily', 1/2 hour return trip to buy milk, visit the post office/council is going to cause problems. What about schools, shops, sporting facilities ?

Just for once I would like to see plans for an estate with the bus route in place, and the various facilities not pre-pended with the word 'future'. Is it too much to ask that the Land Management Corporation (government owned) actually ensure developers help plan the entire community, not just the houses.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#375 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:24 pm

fabricator wrote:
P.K. wrote: As far as driving goes, without breaking the law, I can tell you for a fact, it takes 45 to 50 minutes to drive to North Terrace from Buckland Park in 5-00pm traffic, it takes 15 to 20 minutes from Buckland Park to Elizabeth Shopping Centre car park anytime of the day, 20 to 25 minutes to munno para shopping centre anytime of the day and it takes about 45 minutes to the centre of Gawler in the middle of the day.
35 minutes and your at the sub base and destroyer base.
These are facts, not computor estimated times. This is not even close to comparable to Sydney traffic.
Hence the nearest decent shopping centre takes at least 1/2 an hour return trip, and this is also the nearest train station as well. The result is 20 minutes + 31 minutes on the train + time spent walking, result faster to drive to work.

The real problem with this development is that unlike many previous ones it is an isolated area instead of being tacked onto an existing township or urban area. Hence there are problems with transport, employment, community and other services which aren't readily available. Note the term 'readily', 1/2 hour return trip to buy milk, visit the post office/council is going to cause problems. What about schools, shops, sporting facilities ?

Just for once I would like to see plans for an estate with the bus route in place, and the various facilities not pre-pended with the word 'future'. Is it too much to ask that the Land Management Corporation (government owned) actually ensure developers help plan the entire community, not just the houses.
fabricator,
Is there no facilities in Virginia for Milk, Bread and a paper.