Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #H/D: Adelaide Saltpans | ~80,000h | 4000ha

#376 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:37 am

fabricator wrote:Salinity prevails :applause:
There I fixed it for you.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#377 Post by Isiskii » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Thank god this isn't going ahead anymore. The site would be a good alternative for a new airport.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#378 Post by Nort » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Isiskii wrote:Thank god this isn't going ahead anymore. The site would be a good alternative for a new airport.
Oh god it's starting again.

Aidan

#379 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Isiskii wrote:Thank god this isn't going ahead anymore. The site would be a good alternative for a new airport.
The reasons why it's a terrible place for an airport can be found on the Adelaide Airport Visions thread.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#380 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:45 pm

This development will go ahead eventually.

I would expect that Delfin are very well used to getting objections initially to almost all their developments, but eventually they find ways to resolve the issues and get on with the job. It's a shame so much time and money gets wasted and so much unnecessary stress and frustration is caused to so many people in the meantime, but that's how it seems to go.

You may recall this happened with Mawson Lakes, where the original plans (known as the "Multi-function polis") were first mooted in 1987, but it took until the early 2000s for work to actually proceed, albeit under the much nicer sounding name of Mawson Lakes and Technology Park.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifunction_Polis

Eventually the project at the saltpans will go ahead too, in one form or another. I'm certain of it!

Aidan

#381 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:12 pm

pushbutton wrote:You may recall this happened with Mawson Lakes, where the original plans (known as the "Multi-function polis") were first mooted in 1987, but it took until the early 2000s for work to actually proceed, albeit under the much nicer sounding name of Mawson Lakes and Technology Park.
Didn't they start building Technology Park before 1987? IIRC it was marked in the 1988 Gregorys, well before it was decided to build an MFP in Adelaide's northern suburbs. And I think some of the university buildings predate that - I've seen early photos and it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.

Eventually the SAIT became UniSA, The Levels became Mawson Lakes and most of the undeveloped part of Technology Park was rezoned residential. But would it really have been much different had the MFP not been involved?
Eventually the project at the saltpans will go ahead too, in one form or another. I'm certain of it!
Certainly something will be done there, but it may not be this project.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#382 Post by pushbutton » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:18 am

Aidan wrote:
pushbutton wrote:You may recall this happened with Mawson Lakes, where the original plans (known as the "Multi-function polis") were first mooted in 1987, but it took until the early 2000s for work to actually proceed, albeit under the much nicer sounding name of Mawson Lakes and Technology Park.
Didn't they start building Technology Park before 1987? IIRC it was marked in the 1988 Gregorys, well before it was decided to build an MFP in Adelaide's northern suburbs. And I think some of the university buildings predate that - I've seen early photos and it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.

Eventually the SAIT became UniSA, The Levels became Mawson Lakes and most of the undeveloped part of Technology Park was rezoned residential. But would it really have been much different had the MFP not been involved?
Certainly something will be done there, but it may not be this project.
You seem to know more about the history of the area than I do so I'm sure you're right. I was simply saying that although there was a lot of politics and set-backs a development did eventually go ahead that has ended up being something like what the original "MFP" concept would have been, only probably much better.

rhino

Re: Pooraka: houses where a road was going to be

#383 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:03 am

Just noticed this old thread, and thought I'd answer the question that was left hanging.

Up until the early 80s or so, Sudholz Road used to end on Blacks Road, which went from North East Road through to Grand Junction Road, and was part of Light's original 1-mile grid across the Adelaide Plain (if you project Blacks Road, it lines up with Glynburn Road).

At the other end, Sudholz Road used to end on Dicksons Road, which went from Lyons Road to the River Torrens, which it crossed, and became Darley Road.

Some time in the 70s the Highways Dept smoothed out the corners of the main traffic route and upgraded the roadway to a divided road, re-naming the southern end of Dicksons Road Sudholz Road in the process. The truncated Dicksons Road now meets the extended Sudholz Road at a T-junction.

In the early 80s, the Highways Dept went to work on the northwestern end of Sudholz Road, extending it through the fields of Northfield (now Oakden), to meet up with Walkleys Road, which already existed and ended in a T-junction at Grand Junction Road. Blacks Road was split in two, each piece having a little twist in the end, in order to meet the new Sudholz Road alignment at a 90-degree T-junction. The suburb of Gilles Plains was extended west to the new Sudholz Road around the same time I think.

Around 1983 this new connected-up road appeared in the UBD as Florey Highway, and I think it included Walkleys, Sudholz and Darley Roads, but I don't believe it was ever called that on the ground - no-one ever put sings up to that effect, and a year or so later the UBD was showing the original road names again.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

Re: Pooraka: houses where a road was going to be

#384 Post by Waewick » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 pm

just spent 15 minutes trying to work that out

thanks forthe peice of info Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Hardened Networked Army (HNA)

#385 Post by Will » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 pm

From the Messenger:
Army marches into Edinburgh

Local News25 Jan 11 @ 03:00pm by Pam Brombal

In command ... 7RAR Lieutenant-Colonel Mick Garraway at Edinburgh RAAF Base. Picture: Sam Wundke

AFTER fives years of planning, soldiers from the 7th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment (7RAR) have started the 3000km trek from Darwin to their new home at the Edinburgh RAAF Base. Six hundred soldiers will report for duty at the base this Monday (January 31) ahead of another 600 troops to arrive throughout the year.

The State Government predicts the battalion’s arrival will inject $107 million a year into the state’s economy.

The battalion’s commanding officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Mick Garraway, said the next two weeks would be spent setting up the base, before a 10-day training exercise at Port Augusta in the third week of February.

“The Christmas period is the best time for people to move, especially for families, as it gives children the chance to start fresh at the beginning of the school term and means the guys can get sorted during their leave period,” Lt-Col Garraway said.

“We have most of our vehicle fleet here now, but most of our other gear will come down over the coming weeks.”

Lt-Col Garraway said most of the soldiers were pleased to move to Adelaide. “These are first-class facilities and by far the best army barracks in the world,” he said.

“The majority of the battalion are happy to be here, to leave the wet season of Darwin behind and to enjoy living in a larger city. “Most of our soldiers are from the eastern states, or even SA, so it also allows them to travel home to family on leave periods much more easily.”

The battalion was formed in Victoria in 1965 when Australia entered the Vietnam War. It amalgamated with 5RAR to form 5/7RAR in 1973, before the units were de-coupled in December 2006, allowing 7RAR to be gradually re-formed in Darwin.

Darwin’s wet season was a significant factor for the battalion’s move, with Adelaide’s climate allowing for year-round training for the mechanised infantry unit.

“We are the ones who travel in armoured vehicles and come face to face with the enemy,” Lt-Col Garraway said. “This requires our men to have a high level of fitness and to be highly trained.”

sFor the next six months, 7RAR will largely train at Edinburgh, before heading to Rockhampton in June and July to begin a 10-week exercise.

Lt-Col Garraway said more of the battalion and its supporting units - together called the 7RAR Battle Group - would arrive at Edinburgh in the middle of this year.

Married soldiers will be given until the end of the year to move from Darwin, to give their families a fresh start in 2012.

7RAR to soldier on in base huts

SINGLE soldiers being forced to live in temporary huts at Edinburgh RAAF base is manageable but “not ideal”, 7RAR’s Lieutenant-Colonel Mick Garraway says.

News that building permanent accommodation for soldiers was behind schedule was first reported by the News Review Messenger in October.

More than 150 single soldiers will now have to live in temporary demountable huts until 200 permanent units are completed in December 2012, or until they find private rental accommodation.

“The accommodation project here is part of a national upgrade to barracks accommodation, and unfortunately with a project so large the timeline has lapsed,” Lt-Col Garraway said.

“No solution is great for all, but we had no choice but to move from Darwin or force our single soldiers out into the Darwin rental market, which is the most expensive in Australia.

“While the situation here is not ideal, it is liveable and being offered to the soldiers at a discounted rate of $40 per week.”

The temporary huts include a single bedroom and ensuite, along with areas to store large items and military equipment.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#PRO: Blakeview

#386 Post by AG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Blakeview land release paves way for 3000 new homes

* Sheradyn Holderhead
* February 01, 2011 12:00AM
* 12 comments

A MASSIVE land release on Adelaide's northern fringe will allow developers to build more than 3000 new homes.

The land at Blakeview, about 30km north of the city, adjacent to Munno Para, was released for sale yesterday by the Land Management Corporation in two parcels of 107ha and 99ha.

It follows the corporation's recent sale of two smaller parcels of land in Blakeview. The northern suburbs' population is forecast to swell by 169,000 in the next 30 years.

LMC chief executive Wayne Gibbings said because it was one of the largest residential land releases in Adelaide's history, developers would be able to "master plan" a community.

"I think the important thing is a lot of Adelaide's growth will be to the north and this is the last major piece of land on the eastern side of Main North Rd before you get to the agricultural buffer," Mr Gibbings said.

"Because of the sheer size, it is a great opportunity for a developer to be very innovative in the way they approach community infrastructure, housing choice and open space and also how they address retail facilities that create vibrant places."

While the land was offered in two parcels, it could also be bought by a single developer.

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said the land release would help meet the demand for housing allotments in the north.

"The land release at Blakeview will help facilitate growth by providing timely and affordable housing in line with the aims of the State Government's 30-year Plan for Greater Adelaide," Mr Conlon said.

Urban Development Institute of Australia SA executive director Terry Walsh said this release delivered developers a "real challenge" to get it right.

"I think it presents a massive opportunity for the state - this is the most significant land release we've had for a number of years," he said.

"It will require our developers to think carefully about the teams they match with to provide the right mix of skills because this is a significant size and significant duration and will create a community from very early on. We want it to be a significant showcase."

The tender period closes at 4pm on April 6. The LMC will then assess the applications and make a recommendation to the Government by the middle of the year.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: Blakeview

#387 Post by eKwatee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm

I hope Delfin get this land.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#388 Post by Isiskii » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 pm

I hope you're kidding.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#389 Post by eKwatee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am

Isiskii wrote:I hope you're kidding.
Definitely not kidding, I recently drove through the developments through the suburbs of Blakeview, Craigmore, Munno Para West & surrounding areas & Delfin's "Blake Crossing" when finished will be the best of the lot. So if they can continue to increase "Blakes Crossing" I see this as a good thing for the area.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#390 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

Delfin is quite reputable,and also innovative.