Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide's saltpans make way for housing and offices

#76 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 14, 2008 12:45 am

Cam wrote:Two issues which I would like to know for this development:
1> Impact on nearby mangroves as they are vital fish breeding grounds.
2> Mosquitoes http://www.deltaenvironmental.com.au/ar ... ltwetl.htm
Certainly pollution would be an issue for mangroves. We'll have to wait and see what an EIS comes up with.

As for flooding, I hope they keep in mind the possibility of rising sea-levels.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#77 Post by Shuz » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 am

You know, honestly I don't think we have to worry too much about rising sea levels. If it really becomes an issue, we can always just build a huge sea wall barrier like they did in New Orleans stretching all the way from Cape Jervis to Kangaroo Island to the Yorke... :D

skyliner

#78 Post by skyliner » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

All presently looks a very barren entry to Adelaide - I am glad they are thinking of changing the land use. Yes, sea levels could be an issue - particularly depending on coastal dunes and what is done with them, levees, king tides etc.

How long did reclamation and treatment of the land take before West Lakes area was built up? Would it be similar here?
As generally indicated the process it appears to me that salination of the land and height above sea level would be the key issues.

I wonder if they'll propose canal style development? (Good opportunity - with the sea change trend the way it is).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS AGREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ho Really

#79 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 14, 2008 11:26 pm

skyliner wrote:All presently looks a very barren entry to Adelaide - I am glad they are thinking of changing the land use. Yes, sea levels could be an issue - particularly depending on coastal dunes and what is done with them, levees, king tides etc.
No sand dunes up there, salt pans and then mangroves along the shore. There are embankments.
How long did reclamation and treatment of the land take before West Lakes area was built up? Would it be similar here?
As generally indicated the process it appears to me that salination of the land and height above sea level would be the key issues.

I wonder if they'll propose canal style development? (Good opportunity - with the sea change trend the way it is).
I don't think reclaiming this land will be cheap. If they keep portions for sea canals it may work a bit better, but I'm not too sure what the impact would be on the mangroves along the North Arm and Broad Creek, etc.

Cheers

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#80 Post by Cruise » Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 pm

lol, the buckland park "township" is well on its way to lose its character (the character of it being a town) well before it's built

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by fishinajar » Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 pm

Not sure how this is going to affect things, article from the Australian, Business (online).

(Ridley is the current land owner).
Ridley stocks rise on GrainCorp share offer

Ray Brindal, Dow Jones Newswires | May 16, 2008
AUSTRALIAN agribusiness GrainCorp has made a share-based offer for Ridley Corp that puts an enterprise value of $592 million on the stockfeed manufacturer.

GrainCorp (ASX: GNC: quote) will offer one of its shares for every nine shares of Ridley (ASX: RIC: quote), representing an implied offer price of $1.39 for each Ridley share, based on GrainCorp's $12.48 closing price yesterday.

Ridley shares were trading higher by 3.46 per cent at $1.345 this afternoon, and GrainCorp was down 2.24 per cent at $12.20. At the same time, the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 Index had gained 1.14 per cent.

GrainCorp managing director Mark Irwin said the proposed purchase had a strong strategic rationale for both companies.

"The acquisition of Ridley will further consolidate our strategy of being Australia's leading handler and supplier of agriproducts and bulk products," he said.

GrainCorp already has a relevant interest of 19 per cent of Ridley's shares through pre-bid acceptance arrangements, he said.

Omicron

#82 Post by Omicron » Fri May 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Shuz wrote:You know, honestly I don't think we have to worry too much about rising sea levels. If it really becomes an issue, we can always just build a huge sea wall barrier like they did in New Orleans stretching all the way from Cape Jervis to Kangaroo Island to the Yorke... :D

.......Perhaps we'd best not follow the New Orleans example. :mrgreen:

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by ReallyBad » Sat May 17, 2008 9:29 am

How will the houses avoid salt damp - and how will plants grow - are all the houses gonna have salt bush as their gardens??
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

skyliner

#84 Post by skyliner » Sun May 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Ho Really wrote:
skyliner wrote:All presently looks a very barren entry to Adelaide - I am glad they are thinking of changing the land use. Yes, sea levels could be an issue - particularly depending on coastal dunes and what is done with them, levees, king tides etc.
No sand dunes up there, salt pans and then mangroves along the shore. There are embankments.

I don't think reclaiming this land will be cheap. If they keep portions for sea canals it may work a bit better, but I'm not too sure what the impact would be on the mangroves along the North Arm and Broad Creek, etc.

Cheers
Thanks for the info Ho Really. Have not been to the area since 1986 and seemed to remember that the embankments were dunes - out of bad memory.

Yes, the canals may affect the mangroves, which I did not think were so close. Hope they find a way around this - canals can be very attractive - but expensive too!

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Ho Really

#85 Post by Ho Really » Mon May 19, 2008 1:11 pm

ReallyBad wrote:How will the houses avoid salt damp - and how will plants grow - are all the houses gonna have salt bush as their gardens??
How much reclamation do they have to do to avoid this?

Cheers

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#86 Post by rev » Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 am

Cam wrote:Two issues which I would like to know for this development:
1> Impact on nearby mangroves as they are vital fish breeding grounds.
2> Mosquitoes http://www.deltaenvironmental.com.au/ar ... ltwetl.htm
I doubt that when and if they start building homes, they will build right up to the mangroves.
There will probably be some wet lands or parklands between the mangroves and development. Its an extremely large site.
ReallyBad wrote:How will the houses avoid salt damp - and how will plants grow - are all the houses gonna have salt bush as their gardens??
The site will be cleaned up. Take the housing developments in Brompton as an example. The soil was contaminated with all sorts of poisonous and hazardous materials, but it was cleaned up. Remediation or something I think is the correct term.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by AtD » Tue May 20, 2008 7:44 am

This would be a lot more complex than a contamination clean up, because it's not just soil. The entire water table of the area would have high levels of salt.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by fishinajar » Tue May 20, 2008 8:51 am

The area would probably require obviously the surface salt taken away. Then an amount of clean fill spread over the surface, maybe 2metres thick. It would be critical to stop surface water building up in order to prevent the saline water below coming up. Salt resistant trees would be excellent, eg. norfolk island pines like around glenelg (which have their roots into the sand along the beach and get along just fine.) Once soil level is above sea level and some vegitation is in place, salt levels should start to decrease.

Ho Really

#89 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 21, 2008 12:59 am

rev wrote:...Remediation or something I think is the correct term.
That's the right word!

Cheers

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#90 Post by Brando » Thu May 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Ridley Corp have announced Delfin Lend Lease as strategic partner in this project.