Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#151 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Just build it wrote:They could do that. The Gawler Central station will need a pretty big overhaul. Buying out the couple of homes behind it and expanding the small carpark would be an idea too. Not sure too many people will be walking to Gawler Central from Gawler East though. A 3km or 4km steep uphill walk doesn't sound too enticing at the end of the day. If they extend the train line it'd make sense or at least provide some buses. I remember Gawler when it only had a bus to Elizabeth and the city leave each day at 10am from the BP servo in Murray St. Private bus service too, not STA. :roll:

Of the four Gawler people I know, two work at Elizabeth (Holden), one works in the city and one at Nurioopta. There's no big local employer apart from retail that I can think of. I don't have any problem with the town itself, it's an OK place but having a reason to move up to Gawler like a major employer would make more sense than to just plonk another 10000 people there because it's cheap land.
Just build it,
I am in favour of your idea of extending the Rail service.
An Interchange area could be built at the end of carlton road close to kalbeeba road.
This would give opportunity for the new residents to catch the train via a feeder bus from their new homes.
There could also be an opportunity for a Park and rinde facility for any passengers further east of Gawler east.
The opportunity to put Gawler east on the map is there for the asking.
Perhaps a set of Traffic lights could be installed at the Lyndoch Road/Barossa Way/Kalbeeba road intersection as this would give the opportunity for easy access to the interchange for new Resients when land becomes available for housing in Concordia.

Regards,

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Last night I accessed info about the housing developments in Gawler.
Gawler East is 320 Hectares
Concordia is 500 Hectares
Evanston Gardens 79 Hectares
2500 homes are to be built in the Gawler East area, so roughly there will be about 4000 homes in concordia.

Looks like a new Railway station is definately in order with another built later for the concordia development.

Any thoughts.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by Somebody » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Yeah, the CBD isn't the main destination - ideally only a minority of people boarding at the Gawler stations would be going there, being so far out, assuming that Elizabeth, Salisbury & Mawson Lakes are developed further as major centres. Last time I went to Elizabeth (at night) the commercial precinct there was mainly just the shopping centre - completely devoid of human life, too.
Wilfy 2007 wrote:This would give opportunity for the new residents to catch the train via a feeder bus from their new homes.
Finally Wilfy is supporting something sensible & logical. :D
Wilfy 2007 wrote:There could also be an opportunity for a Park and rinde facility for any passengers further east of Gawler east.
Shouldn't they be catching the train from Angaston which you want?

Out of all those houses, how many would be closest to Gawler East station, i.e. could some possibly be closer to Gawler Central? If you run feeder buses they should also run to the main shops in Gawler (Central) as well as to the Gawler East station if convenient as they should not have to travel on two modes of transport for a short trip to the local shops. That also means that those people can get a slightly better service - like if trains come every 15 and buses from each station every 30, people who live along the route could get any train and just need to know which of the two stations to get off at.

BTW, the people at Evanston Gardens would use Evanston station (or possibly Tambellin) - why on earth they would go to Gawler East is beyond me. They could catch the train up to Gawler Central for shopping though.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

Re: Hardened Networked Army (HNA)

#154 Post by raulduke » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am

Package 1 tenders are out, good to see some big interstate names giving the local lads something to think about...

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#155 Post by Neuropolis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote: The opportunity to put Gawler east on the map is there for the asking.
Regards,
Why does it have to be on a map?
I see it all the time on Google Earth :)

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#156 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 pm

There is a lot of new development happening in the north so I am hopefully assuming most of the people living in this new estate will be travelling locally.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Gidday,

This last week or two I have received information that not only is Ivan Venning keen to see a Rail service to Gawler East and the Barossa but also John Dawkins and Tony Piccolo both MP's but from opposite parties.

So it will be interesting to see if a new Station will be built and when, or if the proposed extension further East will be started.

Some exciting events for the future hopefully.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by Somebody » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:54 pm

You'd need to do more than simply build a station and string up the wires further than has been proposed. The single track section beyond Gawler to Gawler East would prohibit running a frequency more than every 30 minutes at any time - allowing for 10mins for a train to traverse the section each way, and 10 minutes layover time. It would need duplication for all of it - and still would to Gawler Central even if the extension was not built.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide's saltpans make way for housing and offices

#159 Post by fishinajar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:54 pm

I have heard a rumer (unconfirmed) that the land has been sold for around the $85million mark for use as housing. Anyone got anything more reliable/ additional on this?

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#160 Post by Neuropolis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

A quick update.

Reading the Bunyip this afternoon (local Gawler paper)
Apparently, the State Government have refused to have a community consulation process about public transport in Gawler in relation to the planned development at Gawler East.
A proposal was put to them that they extend the existing train track by 4KM into Gawler East and the State Government said that they would not consider this proposal since they did not have enough carriages to service the area.

So, in light of this refusal, the Gawler Council are going ahead alone and looking into community concerns over public transport.

IMHO, not good news for the residents of Gawler or the Council here who are being forced to the wall.

Also, some inside Real Estate news on land prices here in parts of Gawler East in the new development zone suggest 250-300, just for the land.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#161 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:06 pm

I am convinced that we are now looking at the more the extreme end of predicted impacts of climate change including rise in sea level. At what point does government or for that matter insurer’s step into stop coastal and low lying projects? I believe there are some low laying areas in the US that already can’t get insurance any more and have subsequently become worthless. I would rather pay for good planning today than compensation and levy banks in 30 or 40 years.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:14 am

Neuropolis wrote:A quick update.

Reading the Bunyip this afternoon (local Gawler paper)
Apparently, the State Government have refused to have a community consulation process about public transport in Gawler in relation to the planned development at Gawler East.
A proposal was put to them that they extend the existing train track by 4KM into Gawler East and the State Government said that they would not consider this proposal since they did not have enough carriages to service the area.

So, in light of this refusal, the Gawler Council are going ahead alone and looking into community concerns over public transport.

IMHO, not good news for the residents of Gawler or the Council here who are being forced to the wall.

Also, some inside Real Estate news on land prices here in parts of Gawler East in the new development zone suggest 250-300, just for the land.
Neuropolis,
Seems the SA Government are now under the pump regarding the Gawler East development and other developments around the city that do not have adequate PT services.
A contact of mine from Angle Vale has advised that there was many articles in the local papers about proposed PT to the Gawler East development.
If the article you have quoted is the same one as I have sourced from the online Bunyip site, many peoples names have been quoted as saying they are involved and giving quotes on what should be and should not be done.

Regards,

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#163 Post by Neuropolis » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

Times have changed. People expect certain services for their money. Apart from adequate public transport, commercial zones, good schools and recreational areas...these days, broadband access is a growing and legitimate concern. There are newly developed areas in Evanston Gdns which are broadband blackspots ! That's simply not good enough in a modern development.
An architect friend of mine seriously questions the sustainability of these growth boundary suburbs and the track record of Delfin.
It's not responsible to dump thousands of homes on the outskirts of Adelaide without adequate services.
Gawler is a very old town (historic records show it as the first country town in SA) and there are plenty of concerns here about this proposed development, the resulting social cohesion and the strain on current services. We live just down the road from the proposed development site and I can tell you that it is prime land. This is not cheap land they are buying into. Gawler East traditionally is one of the more expensive areas of Gawler and I doubt that land is going to go for a pittance.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#164 Post by Will » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 am

Neuropolis wrote:Times have changed. People expect certain services for their money. Apart from adequate public transport, commercial zones, good schools and recreational areas...these days, broadband access is a growing and legitimate concern. There are newly developed areas in Evanston Gdns which are broadband blackspots ! That's simply not good enough in a modern development.
An architect friend of mine seriously questions the sustainability of these growth boundary suburbs and the track record of Delfin.
It's not responsible to dump thousands of homes on the outskirts of Adelaide without adequate services.
Gawler is a very old town (historic records show it as the first country town in SA) and there are plenty of concerns here about this proposed development, the resulting social cohesion and the strain on current services. We live just down the road from the proposed development site and I can tell you that it is prime land. This is not cheap land they are buying into. Gawler East traditionally is one of the more expensive areas of Gawler and I doubt that land is going to go for a pittance.
Neuropolis, you can't have it both ways. You cannot be against expanding the urban growth boundaries and high-rise at the same time.

It is great that you values social spending such as health and education highly. However to ensure that we maintain the level of services that we have now, we need to grow our population to expand the tax base. As such, our state needs more people. The latest projections are that SA will have a population of 2.2 million by 2030. These people need to be housed somewhere and I think you will agree that it is better for the environment if these poeple were housed in high-density living in already established urban areas which have good public transport.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#165 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 pm

fishinajar wrote:I have heard a rumer (unconfirmed) that the land has been sold for around the $85million mark for use as housing. Anyone got anything more reliable/ additional on this?
any more news here? is this still rumour, or fact?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.