Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#181 Post by AtD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Cruise wrote:the government should stipulate that only 50% of the block may be taken up by the dwelling
Cruise wrote:it's a lifestyle choice
Can't have it both ways, Cruise.

User avatar
Cruise
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Bay 115, Football Park

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#182 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 pm

AtD wrote: Can't have it both ways, Cruise.
I guess your right, But Cruise still believes his way of life is the best way of life, because he chose it.

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 am

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#183 Post by Neuropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:45 am

There are mixed feelings about the proposed development in Gawler East.
As a resident very close to the area of Delfin development, I can tell you that the road infrastructure in Gawler town (particularly Murray street) is already straining under the weight of increased traffic flows. We are talking about a 19th century infrastructure here and the local council is already planning to narrow the street further by beautifying it and increasing the sidewalks. Obviously, this will do nothing to aid in alleviating traffic congestion over the next decade as population increases by at least 25%.
Calton road, currently slated for a Target shopping centre development (already underway) will need to be able to deal with increased traffic flows as development in Gawler East gets underway. This is going to severely impact the many local residents of traditionally quiet Gawler East and as yet, Delfin or the Gawler council have not responded with any definite plans to offer a decent solution.
The impression we get from the council is that the State Govt is riding over local concerns to develop this area with Delfin and despite opening up a dialogue with residents, nothing is going to modify it.
Local heritage organisations have already tried to open up a dialogue outlining concerns about natural waterways in the area, including woodland areas and areas of arable land and biodiversity. There is also a growing concern about the nature of the proposed housing and how this will affect the social cohesion of the town, which has always had an identity crisis, but has always remained staunch about its heritage. The fear is that such a dramatic increase in the population will not only strain the existing infrastructure, but ruin the 'country feel' of the town and create a dormitory suburb.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5427
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 328 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#184 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Neuropolis wrote:There are mixed feelings about the proposed development in Gawler East.
As a resident very close to the area of Delfin development, I can tell you that the road infrastructure in Gawler town (particularly Murray street) is already straining under the weight of increased traffic flows. We are talking about a 19th century infrastructure here and the local council is already planning to narrow the street further by beautifying it and increasing the sidewalks. Obviously, this will do nothing to aid in alleviating traffic congestion over the next decade as population increases by at least 25%.
I'm all up for beautifying the street, however narrowing a even already narrow road will be a disaster.

Whats the public transport like up there?

Neuropolis
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 am

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#185 Post by Neuropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 pm

I have no problem with beautification either. We should have more of it frankly.
However, in this case, it is Murray street, which is the main street in Gawler. This is where the shopping precinct is, home to most of the small businesses with entries to Coles, Woolworths and larger shops.
We get a massive amount of traffic here daily now...commuters to the city and Northern suburbs, tourists, local traffic, freight and traffic due to recent road works.
We have Cheek avenue in East Gawler, which I suspect will become a main road during development.
What needs to happen is a bypass through Willaston to Hewitt and another main road parallel to Murray street to service Gawler East. This might need to entry/exit on Main North road before the town centre.
Train services are currently not very good and there are no bus services.
I can imagine that if alternate routes are not created, the major increase in traffic will require that Murray street is somehow widened in future which will be a disaster for the small businesses around here.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1583 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#186 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Whats the public transport like up there?
They have the Gawler Train, but no buses (for now anyway)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5427
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 328 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#187 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Yeah though they have something else

I think its a local service, which you have to pre book.

Really Gawler should have its own metro bus services.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1583 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#188 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 pm

crawf wrote:Yeah though they have something else

I think its a local service, which you have to pre book.

Really Gawler should have its own metro bus services.
Exactly, if Mount Barker can have a regular Metroticket loop service, so can Gawler.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5427
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 328 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#189 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Especially that apparently Gawler is nearly double the size of Mt Barker.

There was talk of a prebook service being introduced in Mt Barker, however this was quite a while ago and haven't anything about it ever since.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#190 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 am

It'd be nearly impossible to widen Murray St wouldn't it? Half of it would be heritage listed and would all have to come down. The Town Hall, the pubs and 80% of the shops. From memory the footpaths aren't unusually large so not much room to work with there. I used to drive through Gawler daily 15 years ago and the traffic in Murray St was already hotting up. Can't imagine what it's like now or will be like with 2500 new homes at the top of the hill.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:34 pm
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#191 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 am

When petrol heads over $5 a litre i am sure that those same people will mind the fact
they arent closer to the city....

Has anyone been watching the tour de france. Even their 20,000 odd residence cities have
apparments compactly spaced with open space, squares cafes and the like...

My wife grew up overseas, their apparment buildings had childrens playgrounds as well
as basketball, handball courts and the like between the apartments also the open
space was well landscaped etc. They were always safe because the children always played
together in large groups and never alone and with so many people around there was
always someone watching out for one anothers kids. Its actually an environment which
is a heck of a lot safer than our suburban streets which usually have no one walking around,
sitting in the front gardens etc.... Would you let your kids out in the suburb when theirs
no one around and cars wizzing by at well over 60km...

Go figure.

I think our city planners need to go on a trip to Europe to see how it can be done rather
than cities in the USA.

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#192 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Just build it wrote:It'd be nearly impossible to widen Murray St wouldn't it? Half of it would be heritage listed and would all have to come down. The Town Hall, the pubs and 80% of the shops. From memory the footpaths aren't unusually large so not much room to work with there. I used to drive through Gawler daily 15 years ago and the traffic in Murray St was already hotting up. Can't imagine what it's like now or will be like with 2500 new homes at the top of the hill.
Even if it could be done, it shouldn't. Gawler is a place of commerce in its own right, foot traffic contributes more than vehiclular traffic. That's what the bypass is for!

Gawler needs buses. Spend the money on that.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#193 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Why they'd keep pushing these homes out further and further from the city baffles me in the first place. It seems to go against everything the planning studies they commission actually recommend. By 2020 a Gawler - Adelaide trip along Main North Rd at peak times will probably be a 90 minute drive at $4l for fuel. Yet plenty of these 2500 home owners will still have to commute to the city. They must be looking at re-locating some more industry up there or something.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1583 times

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#194 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Just build it wrote:Why they'd keep pushing these homes out further and further from the city baffles me in the first place. It seems to go against everything the planning studies they commission actually recommend. By 2020 a Gawler - Adelaide trip along Main North Rd at peak times will probably be a 90 minute drive at $4l for fuel. Yet plenty of these 2500 home owners will still have to commute to the city. They must be looking at re-locating some more industry up there or something.
The Northern Expressway helps.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#195 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 pm

It's still a 100km commute.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests