Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#196 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am

Try 45km

There are a stack load of job opportunities in the northern suburbs, so not all potential residents will be enticed to work in town.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#197 Post by Just build it » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 am

Yeah 45km if they go to work and never return.....

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#198 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:16 am

Or they can drive/cycle/walk to the train station and take the train. Costs $5.40 return.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#199 Post by Just build it » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:50 am

They could do that. The Gawler Central station will need a pretty big overhaul. Buying out the couple of homes behind it and expanding the small carpark would be an idea too. Not sure too many people will be walking to Gawler Central from Gawler East though. A 3km or 4km steep uphill walk doesn't sound too enticing at the end of the day. If they extend the train line it'd make sense or at least provide some buses. I remember Gawler when it only had a bus to Elizabeth and the city leave each day at 10am from the BP servo in Murray St. Private bus service too, not STA. :roll:

Of the four Gawler people I know, two work at Elizabeth (Holden), one works in the city and one at Nurioopta. There's no big local employer apart from retail that I can think of. I don't have any problem with the town itself, it's an OK place but having a reason to move up to Gawler like a major employer would make more sense than to just plonk another 10000 people there because it's cheap land.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#200 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 pm

As I said there are plenty of job opportunities (from admin to working in a factory) in the northern suburbs, places such as Edinburgh Industrial Park - largest in SA.

Which is not far from Gawler

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#201 Post by Cruise » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Why you lot seem to think every one works in the CBD is beyond me.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#202 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Cruise wrote:Why you lot seem to think every one works in the CBD is beyond me.
I was about to say the same... but seem to remember saying the same already in a similar discussion about down South.

Live near where you work (if you can).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#203 Post by Just build it » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 am

That's the point. Work where you live or as close as possible, especially with fuel going up and PT in Gawler a joke. I'd bet at least 50% of Gawler's residents don't work in Gawler and 75% of those head south at least as far as Elizabeth. Of course there's work in the 'northern suburbs' but work out where and then build the houses within 10km of them instead of 25km (Gawler - Ed/Park for example, same distance as Reynella - Victoria Square). The wastelands and uncropped paddocks behind Elizabeth are massive.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#204 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 am

Some people would prefer to live in Gawler, instead of the Elizabeth area

Anyway there are already plans to build thousands of new homes in the Elizabeth area such as 'Playford Alive', Delfin project at Blakeview, housing estates at Craigmore, Andrews Farm etc..

http://www.playfordalive.com.au

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#205 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Just build it wrote:They could do that. The Gawler Central station will need a pretty big overhaul. Buying out the couple of homes behind it and expanding the small carpark would be an idea too. Not sure too many people will be walking to Gawler Central from Gawler East though. A 3km or 4km steep uphill walk doesn't sound too enticing at the end of the day. If they extend the train line it'd make sense or at least provide some buses. I remember Gawler when it only had a bus to Elizabeth and the city leave each day at 10am from the BP servo in Murray St. Private bus service too, not STA. :roll:

Of the four Gawler people I know, two work at Elizabeth (Holden), one works in the city and one at Nurioopta. There's no big local employer apart from retail that I can think of. I don't have any problem with the town itself, it's an OK place but having a reason to move up to Gawler like a major employer would make more sense than to just plonk another 10000 people there because it's cheap land.
Just build it,
I am in favour of your idea of extending the Rail service.
An Interchange area could be built at the end of carlton road close to kalbeeba road.
This would give opportunity for the new residents to catch the train via a feeder bus from their new homes.
There could also be an opportunity for a Park and rinde facility for any passengers further east of Gawler east.
The opportunity to put Gawler east on the map is there for the asking.
Perhaps a set of Traffic lights could be installed at the Lyndoch Road/Barossa Way/Kalbeeba road intersection as this would give the opportunity for easy access to the interchange for new Resients when land becomes available for housing in Concordia.

Regards,

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Proposed: Buckland Park Development

#206 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Gidday,
Does anybody know if the buckland Park development is going ahead or has even been started yet.

Anybody got any info at all.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

stanley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#207 Post by stanley » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:17 am

More land sought for new development

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40pm AEST

he developers of a proposed new town on Adelaide's northern outskirts want to increase its size to 1,300 hectares.

The Walker Corporation has applied to expand the Buckland Park development by 300 hectares to allow better water management.

It wants to turn the site between Virginia and Port Gawler into a new township with amenities and housing for 15,000 people.

An environmental impact statement on the development is yet to be completed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 308206.htm

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 am

With petrol prices the way they are, who will want to live out in the middle of nowhere like that?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#209 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:39 am

AtD wrote:With petrol prices the way they are, who will want to live out in the middle of nowhere like that?
Its a self contained township, not everyone commutes to the cbd everyday, Unlike what many wannabe transport planners say.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#210 Post by Will » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:49 am

Cruise wrote:
AtD wrote:With petrol prices the way they are, who will want to live out in the middle of nowhere like that?
Its a self contained township, not everyone commutes to the cbd everyday, Unlike what many wannabe transport planners say.
Self contained township? Buckland Park is a blatant attempt by the state government to create urban sprawl outside our urban boundaries. The majority of people living in Buckland Park will commute to the CBD.