U/C: [Cheltenham] St. Clair | $500m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #PRO: St. Clair (Woodville/Cheltenham) - $500m

#121 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 am

They're going to have to decontaminate the soil at the old Actil site, no matter which way they go. You can't build housing on a contaminated site, and you can't take away a community reserve and rebuild it on a contaminated site either.
cheers,
Rhino

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#122 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Big plans for St Clair site

A DOG park, outdoor gym and “sensory gardens” with plants to touch and smell, are among the ideas put forward for open space planned at Cheltenham.

More than 170 people braved the pouring rain on Sunday, March 28, to have their say on what should feature in the community areas of the 1200-home St Clair housing development.

Mayor Harold Anderson said most who attended were positive about the project’s potential to revitalise the area despite years of controversy over the development of the former Cheltenham Racecourse.

“I was pleased to see someone came up with the idea of a pooch park,” he said.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... lair-site/

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#123 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Cheltenham development appeal rejected by Supreme Court

Cheltenham Park Residents Asscociation spokesperson Carol Faulkner said her association had "run out of funds" to continue a legal battle.

The CPRA has been contesting the decision of Urban Planning Minister Paul Holloway to amend zoning to allow high-density housing at the Cheltenham site.

"We'll need a white knight in shining armour to push on to the High Court," a clearly disappointed Ms Faulkener said outside court.

"There are other things we can pursue, including an ombudsman's inquiry, but this is probably the end of the legal avenue."

The CPRA commenced an appeal of a previous judgement by Justice David Bleby to reject a judicial review into the decision of Mr Holloway.

The Full Court of the Supreme Court has unanimously rejected the CPRA's appeal.

Justices Thomas Gray, Margaret Nyland and Ann Vanstone presided over the decision.

The judges awarded costs to the first two defendants, the State Government and Mr Holloway at 80 per cent, but rejected costs for the South Australian Jockey Club.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/property/ ... 5851967664

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#124 Post by fabricator » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:Big plans for St Clair site

A DOG park, outdoor gym and “sensory gardens” with plants to touch and smell, are among the ideas put forward for open space planned at Cheltenham.

“I was pleased to see someone came up with the idea of a pooch park,” he said.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... lair-site/
Utter garbage, a dog park is not a new idea, Salisbury council set some up several years ago using little used parks.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

grumpy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#125 Post by grumpy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am

Looking at the stormwater harvesting aspect of the Cheltenham development, I wonder how much of a selling point this will be to potential buyers of residential units on site. Aurecon are preparing the project details and have worked on the Salisbury wetlands. Is the Salisbury project located in the midst of residential use as Cheltenham will be? Apart from St Clair, the other users of the non-potable water will be the City of Charles Sturt, TOD developments in the west suburbs and Housing Trust developments. But it seems to me that if you shell out 500,000 for a new home at St Clair, you're not likely to want a storm water filtration pond at your front door..or are you?

http://hindmarsh-issues.blogspot.com

Xaragmata

#126 Post by Xaragmata » Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 am

Amended plans for Cheltenham include a new station east of Cheltenham Parade, together with a Hilton-size shopping centre:

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -st-clair/

[On Monday night, Charles Sturt Council endorsed revised concept plans for the St Clair development, which include the new station and a retail precinct
expected to incorporate a supermarket and about 10 specialty shops.

St Clair project director Rob Bau told the Weekly Times Messenger 5000 sqm had been set aside for the centre, which would be comparable in size to
Hilton Plaza on Sir Donald Bradman Drive. ]

rhino

#127 Post by rhino » Fri May 21, 2010 8:00 am

Council in clear over land swap
SHERADYN HOLDERHEAD From: The Advertiser May 21, 2010 12:01AM

CHARLES Sturt Council has been cleared by the State Ombudsman of complaints about its handling of the St Clair land swap.
Ombudsman Richard Bingham approved the release of four of five reports in relation to specific complaints, one responding to Senator Nick Xenophon who accused the council of circulating misleading information, failing to provide sufficient information and failing to consult widely.
In his response report, Mr Bingham found there was no misrepresentation by the council.
"On the evidence available to me I believe that the council has taken responsible steps to explain the proposal to the community," he said.
"On the evidence available to me I can see no administrative error in the council's compliance."
He cleared the council of any administrative error in the reports which were released publicly last night in the agenda for the next council meeting, which will take place next Monday.
Senator Xenophon said he still felt the council had done the wrong thing.
"My reaction is while the ombudsman cleared the council of any political wrong-doing, the fact is the council has done the wrong thing by the community to approve this development," he said.
"The local community has every right to feel aggrieved by what has occurred.
"I think the council needs to reconsider, because this is a dud.
"They are replacing a reserve with contaminated land.
"The community has every right to feel ripped off."
Charles Sturt chief executive Mark Withers said the outcome showed the council had acted appropriately.
"We published those final reports on complaints made between September and December because there was a lot of criticism of the council back then," he said.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by crawf » Wed May 26, 2010 8:52 pm

There was an article in today's Weekly Times Messenger about an recent community workshop on ways of improving Woodville Road - hosted by City of Charles Sturt

City Services Manager Henry Inat told the Weekly Times, that one of the main proposals is to transform the train station overflow carpark into a piazza with alfresco dining, speciality shops, a supermarket and above ground level apartments.

The preliminary plans also presents three options for the retention of open space at St Clair Oval at 15%, 22% or 38% of the total area. Between 450-600 apartments are planned for the Woodville TOD, and Mr Inat said setting aside more than 22% of the area as open space could mean buildings would tower up to 10 storeys high.

Plans to revitalise the strip between Port & Torrens Roads are expected to take 15-20 years to come to fruition.

Preliminary plans will be displayed at the civic centre until June 4. The council and State Government will then unveil a Draft Master Plan for the area at a community open day on August 7.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#129 Post by ChrisRT » Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 pm

crawf - was the article posted on their website? I couldn't find it.....

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#130 Post by ricecrackers » Fri May 28, 2010 10:48 pm

a dog park

FFS the dog walkers are running this town
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Xaragmata

#131 Post by Xaragmata » Fri May 28, 2010 11:29 pm

ChrisRT wrote:crawf - was the article posted on their website? I couldn't find it.....
Digital edition page 4

http://digitaledition.wktmessenger.com.au/?iid=36624

(link edited to point to archive issue number - May 26 2010 - there is an Archive button on the site's toolbar)

Big ideas unveiled for Woodville
Last edited by Xaragmata on Sat May 29, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#132 Post by crawf » Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 am

ChrisRT wrote:crawf - was the article posted on their website? I couldn't find it.....
I couldn't find it either...

Thanks Xaragmata

Xaragmata

#133 Post by Xaragmata » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 am

crawf wrote:
I couldn't find it either...

Thanks Xaragmata
No worries - the April Master Plan newsletter is here, showing the study area boundary extending from Torrens Rd along Woodville Rd across Port Rd
almost to the QEH, & including the corner shops, Woodville Hotel & large development site on Port Rd.

http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webda ... tter_1.pdf

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by Prince George » Sat May 29, 2010 7:38 pm

ricecrackers wrote:a dog park

FFS the dog walkers are running this town
I fear that really may be the case.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#135 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 pm

The master plan has been approved by council and posted on Charles Sturt's website - http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=650

Contains some interesting diagrams on how Train/Tram stations might work. Essentially there will be a new platform built dedicated to trams. Trains will continue to use the existing platforms.