[COM] Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
duke149
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #PRO - Brickworks Market Redevelopment

#16 Post by duke149 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:57 am

I miss the old markets. They just aren't what they used to be.

It would be good if they can revitalise the area which would get more people into the area and more people to the market. They all just seem dead these days and they sell so much rubbish.

Another issue I see is that I wanted to pay by card in a picture store at the brickworks.
But apparently the stalls in the kiln are not allowed phone lines. Heritage listing says they can't put in new cables.
Absolute joke. Why does heritage listing always mean stifle development and technology.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nathan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 pm

duke149 wrote:I miss the old markets. They just aren't what they used to be.

It would be good if they can revitalise the area which would get more people into the area and more people to the market. They all just seem dead these days and they sell so much rubbish.

Another issue I see is that I wanted to pay by card in a picture store at the brickworks.
But apparently the stalls in the kiln are not allowed phone lines. Heritage listing says they can't put in new cables.
Absolute joke. Why does heritage listing always mean stifle development and technology.
Maybe they could use Square (https://squareup.com/) when it becomes available in Australia. Problem solved.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Thu May 27, 2010 12:09 pm

duke149 wrote:Another issue I see is that I wanted to pay by card in a picture store at the brickworks.
Always?

I believe wireless eftpos payment systems exist. Plug into 240v and away you go! might be too expensive an option for stall owners who only sell trinkets...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

duke149
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by duke149 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Wayno wrote:I believe wireless eftpos payment systems exist. Plug into 240v and away you go! might be too expensive an option for stall owners who only sell trinkets...
I did suggest that to the stall owner. You can even get battery powered ones. But yeah, way too expensive for them.
It just limits them and gives them a disadvantage when the whole area could be so much more.

Nort

#20 Post by Nort » Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Roflcopter wrote:Do we really need another Woolworths? :roll:
Are you saying you think it is better for local residents to have to drive further to do their shopping?

Nathan

#21 Post by Nathan » Thu May 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Nort wrote:
Are you saying you think it is better for local residents to have to drive further to do their shopping?
There's a perfectly serviceable Foodland on George St.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Straze » Thu May 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Yes i would of preferred a Foodland supermarket with small businesses. But then again i dont think the decision is final so we will have to wait and see.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

The Scooter Guy

#23 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Straze wrote:
Yes i would of preferred a Foodland supermarket with small businesses. But then again i dont think the decision is final so we will have to wait and see.
Or possibly a Coles or Foodworks.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

duke149
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#24 Post by duke149 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:Or possibly a Coles or Foodworks.
What is this Foodworks place I keep hearing about? Is it independent? or foreign owned?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AtD » Fri May 28, 2010 9:44 am

It's a franchise that buys from the Metcash supply chain, just like IGA.

The Scooter Guy

#26 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Foodworks is now popping up all over the state.
Foodworks at Windsor Gardens was orginally a Franklins and then, Coles when Franklins left South Australia!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:57 am

Woolies in $80m Brickworks project

from adelaidenow
THE Brickworks Market will be transformed into an $80 million modern shopping centre.

West Torrens Council has accepted an undisclosed offer to sell the site to Woolworths.

Mayor John Trainer said he and the council's chief executive would continue negotiations for the sale but the council has agreed to the general offer.

"It is a very good outcome for the community," he said.

"A run down area of the council that was inherited from the merger with Thebarton and what has been almost a public eyesore is now going to become a major $80 million shopping centre development.

"It will retain the heritage-listed brickwork chimney and the kilns around the base, which are a rare example of a former brickworks."

Woolworths spokesman Nigel Smith said the company could now concentrate on designing the project.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nort

#28 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I wonder if they will keep the Go Kart Track and Bumper Boats, seems a nice little opportunity that would work out well for both parties if there is room for them.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Prince George » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Not excited about Adelaide getting yet another WoolMart, but this article - http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... ale-twist/ - mentions that "Woolworths would also protect the heritage kiln and the market traders could stay in their current shed". I trust that we'll learn more details in time, but that at least sounds promising.

Omicron

#30 Post by Omicron » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Just as long as this doesn't turn out to be a Port Mall-esque disaster......